Highest Coefficient?

need4x4

160 grain and lower, what bullets have the highest (BC)?

I know it is just one factor and each rifle has certain bullets it likes in certain weights.

The ballistic coefficient (BC) of a body is a measure of its ability to overcome air resistance in flight. It is inversely proportional to the deceleration?a high number indicates a low deceleration.

I know the are higher weight bullets with high (BC) and I am looking at the smaller projectiles.

I will start it of with a newer one.

Nosler E-tip 270 has B.C. of .459 (it is 130 grains)

LAST EDITED ON May-19-08 AT 12:20PM (MST)[p]In what caliber? Your question is rather undefined as to bullet purpose or caliber. You mention a .277 bullet, so is this the specific caliber, or are you considering any caliber?

LAST EDITED ON May-19-08 AT 12:50PM (MST)[p]I should have been more specific.

The thread about the 270 wsm got me thinking about this.

Any caliber really. I normally think of 30 cal., 270, and 7mm.
But, really any caliber, just looking at what has high BC's below the 160 gr. mark.

I see the 30 cal. at 180 gr. is very high, but looking for what flys well in a smaller bullet.

Heck, maybe 6mm or 6.5mm has the champion in BC for all I know?

I am personally searching about and for hunting bullets, but share info. about any bullet less than 160 grains.

need4x4, Great idea!

Here are some that are loaded in Remington ammo. All .277

.525....150gr Accutip BT
.447....130gr Accutip BT
.433....130gr Swift Scirocco
.339....140gr A-Frame SP
.336....130gr Rem Express Core-lokt SP
.261....150gr Rem Express Core-lokt SP

After doing the digging that i did the last few days, I know for sure that i'll never buy another box of Remington "Express" loads , especially the 150gr loading, dogs!

Good luck! joey

That's pretty nuts sage!! What a difference that soft point makes in the equation!!

Note to self: Stick with the boattails!!!

LAST EDITED ON May-19-08 AT 02:42PM (MST)[p]Yeah! Those factory core-lokt loads are terrible. The stats table really shows how bad they fly. Here, i always thought i was buying good express ammo, never again! They got to do something about that, it ain't right!

Problem is, not every boattail has the stuff in makeup to do the job on bigger game. So it's a good "Quality" bullet "with" a high BC that a guy might/should be interseted in, if he hunts the bigger stuff.

i'm out, joey

Swift Scirocco II:
6mm, 90gr, 0.419
6.5mm, 130gr, 0.571
.277 130gr, 0.451
7mm, 150gr, 0.515

Berger VLD:
6mm, 115gr, 0.595
6.5mm, 140gr, 0.640

Not quite fair tothe 30 cal crwd to limit to 160gr when you can consider a smaller caliber bullet with a higher sectional density.
i.e. the 140gr 6.5 mm bullet would be have a SD like a 190 gr 30 cal. The 190gr .308 Berger VLD has a BC of 0.574

The 6.5 mm 140gr Berger VLD comes in at .640. Just kind of curious why we're limiting this to 160 grains if you were thinking about the .30 cals too. That would be a somewhat sensible maximum if you were going to stop with the 7mm, but you're not even giving the .30's a chance to compete. For what it's worth, Berger also makes a 168 gr 7mm VLD that has a bc of .643, a 180 gr 7mm that has a bc of .684, and a 210gr 30 cal that is .631.

LAST EDITED ON May-19-08 AT 05:17PM (MST)[p]Reasoning for stopping at 160 is I want something that doesn't kick a huge amount, but shoots as flat as possible.

For sure, if I wanted the flattest possible, then I go ultra mag and use big bullet say 190 to 215 grain.

However, I want to shoot a fairly light rifle that is flat and try as best as possible to keep recoil reasonable (without a muzzle break).

Accutip? Is that accubond or something different Sage?
When I go to the Remington web site, they only show a 130 gr. in the .277, are you sure that 150 gr. was not for a 7mm?

Thanks guys.

Is this for hunting? What cartridge are you shooting it out of? This is what we need to know.

need4x4, No, it's not accubond, that i know of anyway.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/premier_accutip.asp

To the best of my limited knowledge, it's kinda a cross between a accubond and a ballistic tip. Supposed to have a thicker outer wall as the caliber goes up, open fast but stay all together, not fly to pieces. The ballistics for my pet factory loading, link on post #22 of the other thread. That link also shows BC of that bullet.

BTW, i know how you feel about the larger calibers. They're great if you really need them, but...

Berger bullets?? Great BC's, how do they open up at high velosity up close?, hold together? Sounds interesting.

joey

LAST EDITED ON May-19-08 AT 06:14PM (MST)[p]I see it under 270 wsm, but the 150 grain is not listed under components in the rem. website. Wondered if they could be purchased.

I found on the Honady site the SST (270)
277" 150 gr. 0.525 0.279
and the interlock (7mm)
284" 154 gr. 0.525 0.273

I shot a bullet in my 7mm rem. mag. that is 154 grain, but it is called the interlock (I believe). I think it is out of production.

So, far, the accutip (270 150 gr) and the interlock (284 154gr) are leading as far as hunting bullets.

Check that the 6.5 mm scirraco at 6.5mm, (130gr, 0.571) is for sure a hunting bullet.

Anyone have info. on the accutip performance and availability?

Midway only lists the 130 grainers in 270 and they are "coming soon" as far as availability. Seem very reasonable in price at 14.99 per 100.

I know you can get them loaded as sageadvice has mentioned, looked to try to reload them.

If you have a 7mm Rem Mag, and liked the performance of the Interlocks, try the 162 gr. Amax. Has a BC of .625

I am assuming you guys (Need4x4 and Sageadvice) do not handload? If not, why not? As far as staying 160 or under to limit recoil, is it really that noticeable? My 200 gr Accubond with a bc of .588 at 3200 fps, flies REAL flat, and is an elk whacking SOB. I'm getting nearly 3400 fps from an E-Tip with a .523 bc. Both shoot 1/2 inch at 100. If you want to shoot flat for a long way, shoot a big bullet, and shoot it fast. As an example, my Accubond load drops 22 inches at 500 yards, retaining 2578 ft/lbs of energy. The E-Tip drops 18 inches at 500 yards. The energy escapes me right now, but is on par with the 200 gr. Food for thought. mtmuley

redrabbit, i believe that you're right. .525 for both? interesting news.

also, Thanks! for the berger report link. Excellent read by a very respected writer. I'll buy in with those results AND those "Best of the West" guy's "shooting beyond belief" use Berger's on Elk. Though i've heard about them for awhile now, this was the first oppertunity i've had to read any reports on them.

joey

Yes, Mtmuley. We are not disputing the big and fast ultra mags will give the higher grain bullets a very fat trajectory. Probably the flatest.

However, I do handload. I don't want big recoil and I don't want the muzzle break. So, I was seeing what bullets this thread would turn up.

So, this is about a level down from the ultramags. Something for deer/sheep/mountain hunting type of stuff. Not really the one for elk.

I suppose a guy could just go with a 280 rem. or 270 win. and just keep shots inside 400. That wouldn't be a problem.

However, you can go a little up from there and flatten it out some. That is why I limited the size (bullet grain) on this thread.

From your last post, seems the 7mm Remington is perfect for what you want. Loaded with high bc Accubonds, it is deadly. I like the .280 also. My father-in-law has one. But, for what you described, the 7mm looks to fit the bill. And my buddy has taken a couple dozen elk with his 7mm. No worries. mtmuley

guys, i think if you compare 2 bullets by the same manufacturer the b.c. is worthwhile to compare. but to compare 2 different bullet makers claimed b.c. don't work. i shot hornady 7mm amax bullets 162 gr. with a claimed b.c. of .625 at 3116fps. i shot sierra 168 gr. with a claimed b.c. of .488 at 3020fps. at 600 yards the drop was just about the same. you could have shot 3 shots with each bullet at 600 yards and the groups were overlapping and you couldn't tell which was which, except i had someone marking each shot.( rifle 7mm gibbs)
i talked to a riflemaker that lives about 30 miles from me who shot on the u.s. palma match team last year. he said the b.c. of the sierra bullets was figured by a different computer program than what other manufacturers used, so you really can't compare from one to the next.
he also stated that the b.c. of bullet manufacturers is done by computer program and gives you a idea of what they are but not exact by any means.
i shoot a 6.5-284 alot at 600 yards. the computed drop at 800 yards was 64.4 inches more drop at 800 than the original aimpoint of 600 yards. but the bullet drop was only about 48 inches when i shot it.
find a bullet that shoots good out of your rifle, and then find out where it shoots at the distance you plan to shoot out to.
a bullets claimed b.c. is made by the manufacturer, not by a independent tester. you know, i read on the chevy website they make the best pickup, it must be true, i seen it on the internet.ce61

alot of target shooters use sierra bullets. berger bullets in the same weight and caliber usually have a higher claimed b.c.. but alot of guys win matches shooting the sierras. maybe if they see these posts they'll switch to the bergers and win all the time because they have a higher claimed b.c ( by the manufacturer)LOL.... man with all the info posted nobody should have to shoot any bullets, let's just go with the biggest b.c. numbers and we all are set. we'll have the best.
find a bullet that shoots good in your gun and where it hits at the distances you plan to shoot......ce61

Ce61, this is a discussion.

It is going to be specific to your rifle anyway. Are you trying to tell us that discussions aren't allowed unless we shoot the bullet and unless we chrono it?

I learned from this thread. That was the point. Before this, I would never have thought of even shooting a berger bullet.

This is a post designed to find particular bullets and then try them. Like your last sentence says.

BC is bunk at best because it degrades as velocity decreases. The same bullet can fluctuate 15-20% in BC depending on how fast its going.

The only way you'll know what the drop is at long range is to shoot it at long range.

Basically as a rule the best BC is found in 6.5/.264 class bullets, but there aren't a whole lot of them out there, but I'm not sure how many a guy really needs.

LAST EDITED ON May-20-08 AT 09:54AM (MST)[p]Bambistew, interesting comment and i've got to run off so won't be able to see your responce until later but was wondering if you could give a bit more on those thoughts.

A couple other guys have commented on the calibers having good BC's being the 6.5 or the .284's. I'm curious why not the .277, right in between, aren't or are good candidates for high BC's as well. How about your thoughts on that .525 .277 Hornandy

Also is it not a good general rule that High BC's are a good "indication" of how well a bullet will keep it's velosity? i mean, all bullets are going to slow down. Wouldn't it be better to start with high BC bullets when looking for a long range hunting load, especially in the "mid range" calibers? Thanks, gotta get!

joey

need 4x4 did you learn anything from my post of shooting a .625 b.c. bullet and a .488 b.c. bullet( different manufacturers) out of the same gun and at 600 yards shoot to the same point of aim? what i'm trying to tell you is b.c. numbers from different makers are hard to compare by their claimed b.c. to another company. oh well i tried. ce61

It is always going to be rifle specific. There is no question.
I am sure most everyone knows there are many variables, of which one is BC.

I don't shoot at 600 yards.

Yes, I understand the bc numbers are difficult to compare from bullet to bullet.

Thanks.

Need4x4,

Even though the road is a bit rocky, i believe we can still get there. Good luck with that barrel... and working up a killer load for it. I want a new toy so bad, just can't cut loose the funds right now. Good hunting!

joey

Has anyone tried a bullet made by, "Lost River Ballistic Technologies?" If memory serves,I believe they had a 7mm, (.284), bullet that had a BC of .750 !! I am not sure if this company is still in business or not.

Paul

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom