Horn huntin dogs

guywildstorm

Anyone ever heard much about using dogs to find horns? There is a guy around here that is training a young lab to find them. Sounds like he is doing pretty well this spring. Was thinking a dog would sure improve the odds if they can smell the horn.

I tried my jack russell the other day on a hunt because he can find horns in the back yard real well. He uses his nose a lot but I am mostly impressed with his eyesight. He covers the thick brush well because of his size. Anyway, after walkin' a lot of ground discouraged I looked down at my dog "cache" and he was carrying a 1.5" spike antler from last year in his mouth! It is my littlest antler but I can't take credit for it. Mike Burrell

my uncles have been trying to train dogs to find horns for this year. One of them has a half-hound half-lab cross that looks like it will do really well only problem is it cant pack those big horns very far.

I'll tell you, I don't think I will ever tire that lil' pup out. He is energetic but well behaved. I might try him this weekend on elk sheds. I'm thinking of building side packs for him to pack out elk sheds.... what do you think?

I'm going to try out my 1 year-old weimeraner this spring. She loves to stand up and try to grab my european mount mulie off of the wall. She also steals any sheds that I leave around the house. I'm going to start hiding sheds for her to find and see how she does. I think it's fun to have the dog around either way. Unless they roll in a dead deer.

I really have nothing against dogs, but have you ever noticed deer and elk's reactions to dogs when they first get a whiff of them? I really don't think dogs should be running around winter ranges searching for sheds...at least until later in the summer when the deer, elk, and other critters have recovered from the rigors of winter. All of us have to agree that late winter/early spring is the most stressful and critical time of year for wild critters so do them a favor and keep your hounds in your trucks! I have a feeling if dogs start rampaging the winter ranges it will be just one more reason for the game and fish/wildlife agencies to restrict early access to these areas.

I think you are preaching to the choir about what is right and wrong in shed hunting ethics. Most of us understand the importance of keeping our distance from wintering big game. Have you ever seen big game when they catch a whiff of some sweaty human tromping throught the hills? or the reaction of big game when a ATV is meandering cross-country? There is nothing wrong with having a WELL-BEHAVED four-legged buddy as a shed hunting partner if you are an ethical shed hunter, which I claim to be.

BBB, I've spent hours each year observing deer, elk, sheep, mtn goats, and other wildlife and have noticed there is a definite difference in reaction when they spot humans vs dogs. Why do you think there are leash laws or no dogs allowed in most wildlife areas, ntl parks, etc? As far as I'm concerned you are just adding to the stress level of game during the critical time of year! Do dog owners have ethics.....hopefully so and they'll leave dogs home during early spring in critical winter habitat!

jims,
That's great you spend countless hours interacting with our furry ungulate friends. Are you a shed hunter? Do you look for sheds in February and March? Are you telling me the wildlife in your region don't run from you? How do they respond differently when they see you vs. a dog?....Please give DETAILED observations. When deer see my Jack Russell terrier do you want to know what they do? They chase him in between my legs, not until they see me (a human) will they turn and run away. I'm sure many of you have seen deer and elk use this tactic on big dogs,coyotes, and foxes as well. I'm not saying they do it everytime, just an observation. jims, I'm not saying you are wrong, I am saying with or without a dog you are still disturbing the wintering wildlife. As far as the leash law, I think man?s best friend has become a major liability to the National Park Service because of the way some dogs harass other hikers (huge liability) and leave a mess wherever they go (poop, holes, etc.). Jims, we do have a common agreement: If you have a long-legged,high strung, deer chasin' dog. Early season shed huntin' with that particular dog is not a good idea, but now I have a dare for you.. Go do your "keep your dogs off the land" preachin' on the houndsman board and let's see what kind of observations you can quantify from their reactions!!!

I'll stop thinking about using dogs when people stop cahsing elk and deer around on snowmobiles and 4-wheelers. I can guarentee you that nothing can cause more stress on an animal than someone chasing it around on a snowmobile. You guys that like to use snowmobiles and 4-wheelers to chase elk around if i see it ill put a bullet right through the engine or pop the tires or roll it down a hill then mabey i'l call the fish and game but they usually dont do anything so ill just do it myself.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom