Horn Hunting

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
I think it should be banned.

If you don't have the tag for the animal you shouldn't be allowed to possess horns.

This keeps the pressure off animals when they are most vulnerable.

What pride should anyone take in picking up a set of horns, when there is no memory of a hunt to be remembered. Anything else is basically about money.

This would also make poachers more vulnerable to prosecution.

You would have to work out some sort of way to deal with the current inventory of horns/antlers, but that could be arranged.

Lastly, it would give less reason to tear up the wet spring grounds with ATV's.

I do understand that while some people honestly just love to pick up antlers like some like to pick up rocks, but the population of rocks has not been declining steadily for the past 20 years like Mule Deer.

My .02 cents and I am sure many will disagree, but let's hear it...

Ya shut down horn hunting which leads into shutting down other outdoor sports. that is a super idea

here we go.... more restrictions. I think we should have a gov't representative walk around with every individual 24/7 too.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

I'm all for Helping the Game Herds But:

They can't/won't even Enforce the Laws they have in place now!

When You tell a TARD He Can't/Don't do something they'll go out of their way to show you they will & can!

Outlawing Shed Hunting would only be Obeyed by a few & only Benefit the Thieves!

I wouldn't be surprised if there won't be a License you have to purchase in the very near Future to Shed Hunt!

I'll also agree it's so Far out of Hand they have no control what so ever with ATV's just Ravaging the Land!

This year I knew if I was even gonna have a Chance at an old piece of White Chalk I'd have to Upgrade/change my ways!

My Condor leaves No Tracks!

The PERTY BIRDIE has cost me more mileage on my Boots than if I'd of never got it!

I don't get to go too often!

But for once in my Lifetime I'm going in Style!

Before you get Shed Huntin Shut down let me find a few more PISSCUTTER Chalk Antlers!

And you really think there's a Profit in this Huh?

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

"What pride should anyone take in picking up a set of horns, when there is no memory of a hunt to be remembered. Anything else is basically about money".

To some this is a hunt, one that can be shared with the whole family from young to old. Just another reason to be on the mountain.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

BPK hunter: I am sure you love hunting deer and elk right? So you think it is fine to pursue, harass, chase, shoot at, kill, and then mount that animal in your living room. And yet you are for banning picking up a piece of calcium lying of the ground discarded by these animals? It just doesn't make sense. I never see anyone on this site complaining about hunters harassing game animals during the rut, which is arguably more detrimental to big game herds during a critical time in their life than shed hunting is? I just don't get the anti-shed hunting sentiments. Sportsmen need to stick together more than ever in this day and age, and seems like this issue is driving us apart! When you say you want to ban shed hunting you sound like the enemy.

I will respectfully dissagree. Of the 8 deer I've killed in my life, I never saw any of them before the hour in which I killed them. Thats 1 hour Max, of memories per animal. In contrast, almost all of the sheds I have found, are from bucks I spent hours, days, weeks, and months, watching, photographing, and filming. Then me and my friends spent more hours, days, weeks, and sometimes months, looking for specific antlers laying on the ground. Way more memories for the sheds. And frankly, more enjoyment in obtaining them. And more cool to me, is I knew the antlers were a renewable resource, and I got to watch the same buck the next year. But unlike the commercial shed hunter, I don't hunt for profit. Heres several years of memories that 1 buck privided for me and friends. I have hundreds of photos of this one buck, and hours of video as well.

If you don't like shed hunting, thats fine with me. But your argument holds water like an upside down bucket.

Yelum

Theres logic, and theres women. They don't go together.

4061p1210845sml.jpg

I disagree also. It's fun to find shed antlers. I have lots of good memories from various trips. Obviously I wish there was a way to keep people from pushing deer all over when snow is deep, but that's about it. When the ground is dry, I think the deer are fine to be bumped a little. It's when guys are out pounding the hills and deer are forced to plow through belly deep snow to get away. That's what I don't care for. But, I can't honestly say that the disturbance even effects them much. My guess would be yes, but I don't know.

It's a great family activity. No banning shed hunting.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

Sounds like BPKHunter dosent have any good memories or good times hunting sheds like everyone else does! Some people dont know what they are missing out on. Oh well. More horns for others to find!

>Sounds like BPKHunter dosent have any
>good memories or good times
>hunting sheds like everyone else
>does! Some people dont know
>what they are missing out
>on. Oh well. More horns
>for others to find!

Come on geko42, this is the new American way. If you don't like something or disagree with someone else, pass a law restricting them from doing it so they are forced to be like you.. Better get on board or they will pass a law forcing you to get on board.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

What's Sad is you know License Fee's are coming!

GEEZUS!

An Opening Day for Shed Hunting!

I still Remember Opening Day on Strawberry Reservoir 30 years ago!

I don't miss it even today!

Can you Imagine what'd be today if they still had an Opening Day?

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Shed hunting is a great way to get folks outdoors. Most of the kids at the local High School are really into shed hunting. Going out with a few of them tomorrow.

Glad everyone else thought it was a terrible idea also.

It sounds like BPKHunter wants to bring his Californian ways of thinking into making us all have to bow down to his way through laws and regulations. Anti-hunters think hunting should be "banned" and your thinking is right in stride with them. Go look for some sheds, have some fun and make some memories!

I'm glad I'm not the only shed hunter here.
I'd hate to have more restrictions, crazy!

Muley finds from 2013.
You can see by the bleach I don't shed hunt in the deep snow.
Pic was taken Oct 2013.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-14 AT 09:10AM (MST)[p]Have you ever shed hunted, BPK? You kinda sound like one of those nuts that think handguns should be banned. That's how draconian your idea sounds to me. Anything you don't think is right or agree with should be banned? WOW! Shed hunting gives me a reason to go out and get some exercise in the great outdoors after a winter of cabin fever. It's absolutely one of my favorite things to do! And you want to take that away from me? I don't now and have never pushed game in pursuit of antler. I have only sold antlers once...my pile got too big and I had to clear up some room. :) Many of us don't do it for money. We do it because we LIKE IT. IT'S FUN!!

I agree with you that it would appear some regulation is needed in some areas due to idiots that like to chase the critters around during their most stressful time of year. Wyoming passed a shed season a few years back, and no matter what some folks may think or say about it, it seems to be working. G&F takes it seriously, and they bust people every year...fines can be as high as $1K, and it also includes loss of hunting privileges for at least a year. That includes shed hunting AND rifle or bowhunting!

Nevada also just passed a shed season...look for other states to follow suit with Wy and Nv in the future....

Oh- and pride for picking up an antler?? Trust me...there is plenty of pride there. Ask any one of the responders here. Don't knock it til you've tried it. It doesn't sound to me like you ever have. It can become very addicting...

> It sounds like BPKHunter wants
>to bring his Californian ways
>of thinking into making us
>all have to bow down
>to his way through laws
>and regulations. Anti-hunters think hunting
>should be "banned" and your
>thinking is right in stride
>with them. Go look for
>some sheds, have some fun
>and make some memories!

silly californian's huntings for men haha

I took my little boy shed hunting 2 weekends ago, we had a blast, chatted the whole time. He found a little 2 point horn, was smiling from ear to ear. He even took it to show and tell. I thought it was a cool memory. BPK, Do us all a favor and dont get into politics. Go buy a puzzle or crayons or something to keep you occupied.

There's a very simple way to get what you want BPKHUnter, without outlawing horn hunting. They would have to institute a shed hunting season. It wouldn't be that difficult to start. They could simply outlaw shed hunting from January 1 through April 14, or something like that. I'm pretty sure that would take care of your worry about harassing animals.

I've never gone shed hunting in the spring. I have about a dozen sheds that I have found while out hunting in the fall, but that is it. I'd love to shed hunt more, but I don't know where to go and it'll cost a pretty penny to get to and spend time in an area that holds good animals. Time and money are two things I do not have these days. YET. One day I hope to make it a Birthday tradition for my kids and me to head out and do some shed huntin the first weekend in March. But that'll be a few years away yet.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-14 AT 08:57AM (MST)[p]I think shed hunting can be done responsible...I am in great support of the shed hunting seasons. Too many guys trying to out do the other guy, pushed them to compromise their ethics. Most hunters and sportsman would not willingly do something to harm wintering animals, the laws are made for the minority. I think the shed law is a necessity here in western Wyoming. Only thing that sucks is now May 1st is a goat roping, and no longer enjoyable. At least the animals are safe from the idiots....

Hopefully all the shed hunters take their coyote/wolf gun!!

One thing I will add about the "Goat Rope'n" It is fun as hell to watch the grained up horse stampede at the JH elk refuge. Somebody always gets bucked off!!!

Some of you guys can be SO predictable. Thanks for the entertainment.

I don't support a LAW, just love to watch the responses and how personal some can get.

It would be nice if this forum, full of people who all love to hunt Deer and Elk, could find a way to find middle ground on some issues such as this.

I appreciate those who provided respectful disagreements. Really all I want is for people to give the critters their space and keep the ATV's on the designated trails.

BTW, my California birth certificate doesn't make me any more liberal, than your Utah birth certificate makes you actually reTARDed.

Enjoy your shed hunting, especially if you have kid's with you?

>BTW, my California birth certificate doesn't
>make me any more liberal,

But it sure does shed some light on your posts!!!

BPK, on your behalf, I thought that you would get a little support.
The wooffy guys, all 2-3 of them. :eek:

Shed hunters harassing the Muleys and elk, funny? what about the Canadian Wolves.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-14 AT 06:01PM (MST)[p]mnmthunting,

You are 100 percent correct about wolves on the winter grounds...wolves and coyotes are doing far more damage to the wintering wildlife than shed hunters. Try explaining that to the wardens and biologists...and getting something done. Nevada proved if you kill the predators out of a unit the deer numbers will grow by 30 percent. SOLID PROOF!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom