I Got A Big Buck!!!!

That is a story I didn't expect to read when I logged onto MM.

Well said Roy.

Here is what I thought about the situation.
I don't really see one person at more fault in this story than anyone else. I see two main things that went wrong in this story.

#1 With the other hunters there first and only 15 feet away why didn't Founder ask them permission to shoot?

#2 If I thought I had already mortally wounded a deer I wouldn't just walk away. I would at least talk to the guy 15 feet from me. I would also go check for blood and make sure the deer I had shot at was dead before walking away. The guy sitting only 15 feet away could have been shooting at a different deer or just finishing off the deer not knowing I had already hit it.

Hindsight is 20/20, hopefully all involved learned how to avoid something like this in the future.

This story is the reason why I often end up hunting my 3rd or 4th choice spot opening morning. When I run into other hunters I choose to hunt the other side of the hill. There are a couple of times the other guy ended up killing the buck I was after but at least I've avoided a situation like this.

It's Mormons not Mormans wise ass. I am Wyoming born and bred and am not the biggest fan of the state of Utah but, your blanket statements are ridiculous. I've seen idiot hunters here in WYO just as much as there. You aren't the only one around here that hunts multiple states so don't play the "Hunting GOD" card because nobody is buying it. Happens everywhere unfortunately.

I have only one comment for this thread! MULEYHUNTERFROMHELL POST #81 Please don't discredit people from Utah as bad, unethical hunters. I myself like alot of people on here can take the utard comments. but what gives you the HOLY I AM From ANOHTER STATE MAKE U BETTER THAN US. Like everywhere there are good & bad hunters should we have a thread that is all about the dumb acts or stupid things as hunters with state included so we can see who has the most unethical, dumbest hunters!!! I Don't think Utah would win. This in all is a bad situation for all hunters from everywhere! The best thing that can come out of this is that everyone here has learned a lesson! Respect & devotion sometimes blind us of what hunting is all about. Not the taking of a animal but, the experience, and teaching of ethics to young people. I hope from this bad situation good comes out of it. Founder great buck hopefully everyone can enjoy it an some solution will resolve from this. Congrats for everyone keeping a cool head & not letting a really bad situation happen. Hope the other guys get some monster bucks next year & post them up.

>And for all you guys
>to say "oh, I wouldn't
>have shot" that's crap to,
>it wasn't like Brian went
>up there and sat next
>to these guys and glassed
>for half an hour, he
>wasn't there 10 seconds before
>things began to happen! Remember,
>when everybody went up that
>hill it was still dark,
>Brian didn't know they or
>the other hunters were there
>and they didn't know he
>was there until that moment!
>
> BUD

According to the story it was 10 minutes after light and the first group of guys was seen going up to the knob. Why is the story ever evolving?

Who knows, this whole thing sucks

dan-henderson_wanderlei-silva.gif

FOUNDER,YOU'RE A PLICK!!!

HOW DOES THAT FEEL???

LAST YEAR I WAS GLASSING A HALF BASIN WHEN A GUY & HIS KID WALKED UP TO ME!!!

WE QUIETLY TALKED A BIT WHEN THE DAD SPOTTED A BUCK I'D ALREADY HAD MY CROSSHAIRS ON EARLIER!!!

THEY WENT BALLISTIC & SAID "HE'S A BIG BUCK"!!!

THEY CAPPED A FEW OFF AT QUITE A DISTANCE AS I WAS CLOSELY WATCHING THE BUCK BUT I COULDN'T SEE THAT EITHER ONE OF THEM HIT THE BUCK & HE RUN OFF!!!

I WILL GIVE THEM ONE CREDIT!!!

IT WAS A STEEP SOB & THE DAD TOLD THE KID THEY HAD TO GO CHECK FOR BLOOD WHICH I WATCHED THEM DO!!!

IT ONLY TAKES ONE SHOT IN THIS AREA TO #### IT UP FOR A WEEK OR MORE!!!

I'M NOT REAL HAPPY ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED BUT WHAT DO YA DO???

IT BEATS WHAT HAPPENED THE FOLLOWING DAY THOUGH!!!

I DON'T EVEN ####ING WANNA GO THERE!!!

ON TO THE NEXT STORY:::

THE YEAR WAS 2000!!!

I'D DONE ALOT OF SCOUTING PRIOR TO SEASONS!!!

I SHOULD OF HAD A 30" BUCK MYSELF DURING MUZZ SEASON THAT YEAR BUT THANKS TO SOME BRAND NEW JUNK CAPS ALL THAT WAS HEARD WAS A CLICK & THAT BUCK DISTAPEARED NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN!!!

SO I SETTLED ON A DECENT BUCK A FEW DAYS LATER BUT DAMN SURE NOT A 30"ER!!!

RIFLE SEASON ROLLS AROUND AND ME & JR TAKE THE WIFE BACK IN WHERE I'D SEEN A DECENT BUCK I'D BEEN WATCHING!!!

THE WEATHER HAD MOVED IN A WEEK PRIOR & THE BUCK HAD MOVED A COUPLE OF MILES DOWN IN TO TERRITORY I TRY AND STAY AWAY FROM!!!

I KNEW IF WE DIDN'T GET THIS BUCK OPENING MORNING WE'D BE SCREWED FOR SURE!!!

WELL WE LEFT THE TRUCK AT 3:30 A.M. AND GOT BACK IN WHERE WE NEEDED TO BE!!!

MY BETTER HALF IS A GOOD SHOT BUT WE WERE SOAKED,HALF SICK & EVERYBODY WAS SHIVERING BY DAYS LIGHT!!!

WE SNUCK OVER TO WHERE WE NEEDED TO BE & SURE ENOUGH THE BUCK WAS SNEAKING UP THROUGH THE THICK $HIT!!!

BOOM!!!

I SEE THE BUCK FLINCH & SPIN 180 DEGREES!!!

BOOM!!!

I SEE WHITE DUST,WHAT I THOUGHT WAS OFF A QUAKIE TREE!!!

MY GAWD,I'M THINKING SHE'S GOT ONLY ONE BULLET LEFT IN THE GUN!!!

BOOM!!!

THE BUCK IS DOWN FOR THE COUNT!!!

WE GET OVER TO THE BUCK & SEE HE HAS BROKE THE CHEATER OFF THAT HE HAD WHEN I'D SEEN HIM ON EARLIER SCOUTING TRIPS!!!

AND THEN GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!!!

EVERY HUNTER ON THAT MOUNTAIN STARTED SHOWING UP!!!

NEARLY EVERY ONE OF THEM CLAIMED THEY HAD SHOT AT & WOUNDED THAT BUCK PRIOR TO THE BETTER HALF PUTTING HIM ON THE GROUND!!!

I DO REMEMBER ONE (LOCAL!!!) SORENSON KID THAT CAME UP & CONGRADULATED MY WIFE & SAID THAT IS A GREAT BUCK CONGRADULATIONS,HE WAS THE ONLY ONE ON THE MOUNTAIN THAT DAY THAT DIDN'T CLAIM HE'D SHOT & WOUNDED THE BUCK!!!

I'M TELLING YOU BEFORE WE GOT THAT BUCK OFF THE MOUNTAIN THERE WERE PEOPLE HIKING IN TO SEE HIM & CLAIM THEY ALL HAD SHOT AT HIM OR WOUNDED HIM PRIOR TO MY WIFE TAKING HIM!!!

AND TO TOP IT OFF A WOMAN GETTING HIM!!!

I'M SURE I WAS A PRICK THAT DAY!!!

IF THIS BUCK WOULD'OF BEEN HIT/WOUNDED AS MANY TIMES AS CLAIMED HE'D OF BEEN NOTHING MORE THAN BURGER LONG BEFORE WE SEEN HIM!!!

I SEEN ALOT OF JEALOUSY ON THE HILL THAT DAY!!!

AND IT ONLY PROVES ONE THING!!!

WE WERE HUNTING WAY TOO CLOSE TO TOO MANY TARDS & I'LL BE THE FIRST ONE TO ADMIT IT!!!

I DON'T LIKE GETTING IN TO SITUATIONS SO NOW DAYS I HUNT FURTHER BACK IN WHERE THERES NO DEER & FEWER TARDS!!!

I DON'T HAVE TOO WORRY ABOUT SEEING A 30"ER ANYMORE!!!

AND I DON'T SEE TO MANY TARDS EITHER!!!

I'LL LEAVE THE SHOOT-OUTS TO OTHER PISSCUTTIN FOOLS THAT WANNA FIGHT OVER WHO SHOT WHAT AFTER THE PISSCUTTERS HIT THE GROUND!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Ok Satan unleash the hounds. I am not Mormon/LDS and what does religion have to do with hunting? I have seen bad hunting ethics in Utah,Colorado,Nevada,Arizona,Cali. So good stay out of Utah one more tag for the rest of us. I know their alot of bad apples, but 80% of most hunters are just like you, and me respect other hunters & the game which we are after. I remember when the Bookcliffs was general season tag like most people like Triplekkk & Roy know about. My grandpa would say these damn Californians are shooting & killing anything that moves out here ruining it for everyone. Until I started to understand that development & roads everywhere were actually the problem. Labeling people or state is just stupid & Ignorant. I am sorry you had a bad couple of experinces here, but it really is a good place to camp,fish,hunt. So don't bring the whole holly religion thing up!!!!

Holy Crap what a read. Glad to see the majority of it is still here. Normally by the time I get home from work, all the excitement has been nuked out. :)

Sounds like that horse was one hell of a judge of character to me...just sayin

Son

Founder,

When I first posted and told you nice buck, in honesty, I just looked and did not read the story. Now that I have read the story and the replies I took time to think about this.

No way could I have done what you did. No way. I could not mount that buck and have it in my house knowing all the crap surrounding this deer. I would work something out with the other guys, mount it and sell it, or let Sportsman's hang it on their wall. I cannot imagine anyone really wanting it now?

Sometimes we do things we regret. Do you think you posted all of this to get approval or are you convinced everything is okay? You do not have to satisfy anyone but yourself. I learned a long damn time ago that a deer or elk was not worth making an enemy. If there was any question I would have done what the others did and leave. It is not worth an argument, fight, or guns getting involved. If I cannot have an animal that is mine without question or controversy...someone else can have it.

I would not have shot it in the ass to hurry and get blood drawn either. I don't know, but I think you screwed up Brian. You have killed some great bucks, but this one don't count. JMO since you posted up the whole deal.

HEY JACKMASTER???

WHO'S ASS ARE YOU KISSING???

I DO EXPECT AN ANSWER???

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

High wide and wasn't there, we aren't really trying to discredit any one. Here lets just get the facts straight. We Do not care about the size of the deer, the location of the deer, the shots fired at the deer. What we do care about is that someone would sit down close enough to have gun barrel sword fights with a guy who was already in position to kill the deer. Then twist a story to justify there actions. Proof is in Brians story if you have to apolagize for some thing you've done is that not an admition of guilt. Just a side not Brian Keeps saying how he hammered, and leveled the buck, could someone explain that one to me.. Did it not require someone else to finish it..

"Sounds like that horse was one hell of a judge of character to me...just sayin"

Son,

How many times have you been kicked in the head?

If someone is shooting at a deer then it is HIS deer wether he hits it or not! Let it walk and chase it another day. Founder, your getting this abuse because you deserve it! Just my opinion. fatrooster.

HEY fat-banty!!!

GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU!!!

WHAT'YA BEEN HUNTING???

47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

Well, maybe you ought to call that buck...."The Rub" buck. 'Cause, it's certainly a buck that caused a rub.

It's a nice buck no doubt. Over-pressure is why I switched on over to limited-entry public land hunts, private ranch hunts or primitive public land hunts.

Sh!t happens when a lot of people are competing for the same resource at the same time...when there are a lot of people in one area, there's no way they will all have the same ethics or act in the same way. You did what you thought right--right, wrong or indifferent it was legal no doubt about it.

Anyway, there's a lot of food for thought that will either solidify how you feel about what you did or it may change your point of view. Either way, it's all good and there are a lot of people who will benefit from reading this entire thread as well. It will force them to decide what the right choice would have been for themselves.

You guys are missing one important aspect of this story, that is the fact he was kicked in the head. Probably had at the least a mild concussion, which means, he probably wasn't thinkin very straight. On top of that, I betcha he was seeing at least double, which makes this story very remarkable in the fact that he shot and hit one of the 2 bucks he was looking at. ;)
I know a lot about head injuries. I happened to have given several of them to my brother over the years. Once with a baseball bat. Landed him in the hospital for over a week. Since then, he has never been able to think right. I'm always worried he's gonna try shooting a buck that I'm on. :)

popcorns gone notting but ass to kiss now!
I want my son to read this and he's 14 but he would just
think what a bunch of ass's how old are these guys anyway and I am never going to hunt out of calforenia...at lease it safe
here!
should have locked it....
rm

Congratulations! Awesome buck and quite a story to go with it.

Keep the Sun at Your Back and the Wind in Your Face

GEEZ,
GET YOUR NEW COMPUTER AND RAMBLE ON ENDLESSLY AND USING ALL CAPS TOO. CAN'T YOU GET A PUTER WITHOUT A CAP LOCK?? lol

Boy are you long winded tonight Bessy, feeling your oats huh!

Brian

Preemptive karma with the kick to the head.

Don't matter if it went down the way you said or the way the other guys said you got greedy.

Only thing you can do to save face is have that very nice buck mounted and sent to the other guy so he can at least hang it in his garage. And admit that you made a mistake.

By the way I like your website and don't feel to bad {if you do}
everybody makes a bone head move every now and then.

Sarg once again you have your facts wrong! I was there!
Not right next to the shooters but on the opposite ridge, right above you! (if your the guy with the horses and the kids) You tell the story about who hit the buck but I still haven't heard the shooters say they did! Extreme1 claims Brian thought the hole mountain belonged to him but you guys are saying not only the mountain belonged to you but all the deer on it did too! No one else had the right to shoot at a deer if you were on it! Why would you and your group think because you had spotted a buck that it personally belonged to you! You seem to believe a public animal belongs to you! You guys refuse to admit the deer would in fact have never have been recovered by your party, you would rather put blame on the guy that did the job! HOw COME YOU GUYS CAN'T JUST SAY WE KNOCKED IT DOWN OR WE HAD A BLOOD TRAIL? BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T? WHY DON'T YOU JUST SAY YOU MISSED IT?

If I shoot at deer on opening morning is it mine through the entire season? And if someone else kills it do they send the mount to me? Prepaid I asume! GET REAL!

KTC

YES... I think you have it right! You don'y know! Why would you think Brian tried to shoot the deer in the ass? It was over 400 yds away, the bullet hit where it hit, but it did knock the deer down! You guys make it sound like founder is some kind of criminal for doing the same thing most everyone else would have done as well. I don't know if you've read the whole story, the other shooters were unable to continue fire they have never denied that! They feel like because they couldn't kill the buck no one should be able to! Why should anyone have to ask permission to shoot at a public animal?
If I go duck hunting on a public marsh and I shoot at and miss a duck does that mean no one else on the marsh has a right to shoot at it too? Am I suppose to include that bird in my limit even though I didn't hit it?

Safety as much as ethics in my book-Why? Shooting within 15ft of someone else while looking through a scope could have ended up with someone getting shot! Who knows if the other party could have headed out in front of Brian as he squeezed the trigger it could have been even uglier.
I would not have fired in that situation and hopefully never end up in a situation like that.

Yes, "ethic" situations happen more often than we would like and I can give an example myself-
Two years ago like every year I had hiked and scouted like a dog trying to up my odds on getting a big buck. I had found an area that had many good sized bucks and a couple dandies as well. Probably spent close to 90-100 days vested in figuring out bedding, feeding, watering areas and escape routes.
First day of the season I hike in and pass on several of the decent bucks knowing it's only a matter of time before I get one of the real big boys. Even took a picture of one of the deer I passed for memories of the hunt.........The next day arrives and I get to the area to see a camp right where I usually park- I pull over a hundred yards away since it's the only area to park for the next few miles feeling anxious but confident if it's other hunters that they would never make a hike in as far as I was going.
As I walk by around 80 yards from the camp I see beer bottles all over the ground in the moon light.
I hear an obvious drunk yelling out is that you &%$^ thinking it was a friend of there's or something. I continue on and I am now 500-600 yards up the hill when I hear shots being fired all over the place and then a voice yelling- " I hope that hunter had a deer in his crosshairs".
Not sure if my truck was now full of holes or what the heck was going on I head back down the hill towards the camp. Two guys and a girl are laughing there asses off and from the looks of them as I get closer it's obvious they are not hunters.
Now I am really pissed off so I put my pack down and my rifle and walk up to the idiot who I assumed fired the shots and I ask him what his problem was. Nothing but blank stares....I inform them that there is laws on harassing hunters and that I will be contacting a game warden. The only comment I get is "whatever". The other guy is apologizing for his buddies obvious moronic behavior.
Holding my temper in check I hike above the camp and get out my cell phone and call the local county sheriff office. They get me in touch with a CDOW officer and they are in route. The three finally seeing I am serious get nervous and start to pack up camp. The two guys try and sneak out on there ATV's but the CDOW officer is waiting on the road for them as they head out and heads them back to the camp.
I head back down the hill and talk with the nice officer about what happend and explain that they were harassing my hunt and after awhile the guy that did the shooting gets a fine.
Now with half the day gone by this time the warden wishes me luck and assures me they will watch the group pack up camp and make sure my truck is not messed with.
I head out half a day out of the hunting season gone due to idiots my mind racing. On the way into my area I notice a small buck laying in the open and it does not look well at all.
I walk up close and it tries to stand with much effort and finally gets up. I notice a runny bloody spot on it's side in the gut area. This buck has been shot by someone in the guts and is standing there staring at me suffering. I think about all the effort I put into the hunt but my thoughts dont't last long as I shoot and kill the deer.
I think about calling back the warden and explaining the situation but after the earlier incident I take a huge sigh and pull out my tag and fill it out.
Definitely was not what I figured the season to be but I figured I did the right thing...How many would have done the same??? It's just a matter of what you believe to be right even if you take it in the arse in the end and you know what I feel good about my decision.
Best,
Jerry

44f4e09309b4a917.jpg

And Utah
>is the only state in
>which I have hunted
>that I have seen this
>go on. That is why
>I will not return to
>utah to hunt ever again.
>I don't want to get
>shot or see my truck
>shot.

Muleyfromhell,

You took the words right out of my mouth and I am glad you came to the conclusion to never hunt in Utah again. PLEASE KEEP THAT PROMISE!!!
We just assume not have you kind of idiots that think they know so much but really know so little...

Founder,

For the record, I really enjoy reading your website and am glad you started it.

I mainly just read and very seldom respond however in reading this whole thread I believe all of us have to accept at least one conclusion...

I think the message that the other parties involved are trying to get across is not that they own the mountain or any deer on it.
The real message I get out of it is why Brian sat literallly 5 yards next to them and started shooting??

At least you could of asked them something like this:
1- Do you mind if I shoot?
or better yet,
2- Are you guys still going to try and take him?

I think if you would of asked those simple questions before just starting to shoot (right next to them), this thread wouldn't have gotten so ridiculous with stories and justifications back and forth...

The lesson all of us need to learn from this is that as hunters, we DO NOT sit next to someone else and start firing away. At least walk a distance away to a different vantage point and fire from there if you feel you have a decent shot still.

Anyway, I hope that you have been to the doc and had your injury checked out and you are O.K.

Enough already...Get over it, the buck's dead. Brian you have every right to end this thread. Hindsight is like swarovski glass. Let it go.

Jerry- Two years ago in WY my Dad and I came across an antelope that had a very bad limp. Looked like he had a broken leg. He was not a "shooter" goat but I shot him anyway. I think as sportsman we need to do that if the situation arises.

As far as the story goes....I can't help but think of what kind of a hunter takes a 400 yard shot with a deer facing straight away from you. This buck was shot "Texas-Heart" style. It is risky enough to take a broadside shot at 400 yards let alone an ass shot! In that regard...I think Founder knew someone was going to start throwing more lead at this deer and he needed to put him down anyway he can. He didn't want to wait for him to turn broadside or give him a better shot. I've never been in that situation so I can't say how Founder was feeling. Probably a little stressed about someone else taking another shot before he could get one off. I don't know. That's a horrible shot to take.

I could never sit down 15 feet form another hunter and shoot. I'd have peeked over the ridge to witness the shooting and hopefully be able to see a big deer on the ground. I'm not a trophy hunter so I do not just hunt for big deer. I like to see big deer but I don't care who shoots them. I'd never have shot in that situation.

Granted Founder scouted for a long time to find that buck....but that buck did not have specifically his name on it. This is a bad deal and can't be changed. Maybe it will help prevent the same situation for one of us that have read it.

Steve

kilo!!!

NOT REALLY FEELIN MY OATS!!!

THE CAPS BUILT UP AND I LET ER GO!!!

THIS THREAD REMINDS ME OF DIFFERENT SITUATIONS I'VE BEEN IN/OR SEEN OVER THE YEARS AND VERY FEW OF THEM HAD GOOD ENDINGS!!!

2 YEARS AGO IN THE SAME AREA AS MENTIONED ABOVE THERE WAS A BIG SHOOT-OUT AND ONE OF THE LOCAL COWBOYS PUT A FAIRLY NICE BUCK ON THE GROUND,BEFORE HE COULD GET OVER TO IT ANOTHER HUNTER RUN OVER & CLAIMED THE BUCK,BEING THE MAN THE COWBOY IS HE LET THE JACK-ASS HAVE THE BUCK,GAWD I'M GLAD I WASN'T ANYWHERE NEAR ALL THESE TARDS SLINGING SLUGS IN EVERY DIRECTION,SOMEBODY IS GONNA GET SHOT,JUST A MATTER OF TIME!!!

THERE COMES A TIME WHEN EVEN A 30"ER AIN'T WORTH IT!!!

THIS MIGHT BE ONE OF THEM TIMES???

WTF kilo???

I'D LIKE A LIST OF WHO & HOW MANY TIMES I'VE BEEN REPORTED TO THE MODS PLEASE???

47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

I think the title of the thread ?I killed a big buck!!!!? says a lot about the current hunting mentality.

I've read many enjoyable hunting stories on this forum. Many of them ended with small animals going down and a few where good hunters ate tag soup.

I can't understand why someone would post a story knowing it would be controversial unless all that matters now is ?I killed a big buck?.

Poor judgment on posting the story and the ethics involved. Especially by someone who most of us admire and expect better from.

RUS

RUS,

I couldn't agree more.

Brian,

Over the years I've developed tremendous respect for you as you're one of few hunters who consistently takes not just nice bucks, but REALLY nice bucks every year! However, that respect was knocked down several notches in the Ethics category after reading about this experience.

First of all, I'm curious to know what you thought the majority of people's reactions were going to be when they read of this experience. Did you think your spin would be the only one seen, so all would be well and you would continue to be revered as a great and mighty hunter? People already do that based on your past results. I would give my left nut for just one of the trophies adorning your wall. However your site is about the most popular site around the country these days for Mule Deer hunting, so I don't find it surprising that the other people involved got on here and told their side. Looks like it came back to bite you.

Second of all, I can't believe you had the audacity to sit down just a few feet/yards away from these other hunters who beat you to the punch, and start shooting! You're lucky they didn't beat the sh%t out of you right in front of your son! Kind of a stupid move (especially when guns were present). You and your supporters can justify that it was public land, and that the buck wasn't hit, etc. Frankly, all that crap is irrelevant and I think by now you know it. Bottom line, ethicly you shouldn't have done what you did, and it's now time to take your medicine.

My first thought after reading both sides of the story were why didn't you just initially back out of there and seeing as how the buck wasn't dead (or even wounded based on what you say) go after him later on (ie the next day or something). I'm confident you probably would've been successful seeing as how you saw where the buck went and you knew its habits, etc from previous scouting experience.

What I really think is unfortunate, is that despite how nice that buck is, it will always have an asterisk (if you will) next to it as it hangs on your wall due to the poor circumstances with which he was harvested. I really hope your son doesn't grow up thinking it's all about the antlers. However, what have you shown him that would indicate anything otherwise? To set up right next to other hunters despite knowing they were there first and shooting at the animal you had your eyes on from previous outings... To take a 400 yd ass shot just for the sake of trying to get him (so much for the meat, but hey if the headgear is all intact that's what matters huh?)... Then to publicly brag it up like you are still a great hunter... it really shows some true colors about you.

And to think it was all for a lousy deer. You should hook up with DeerKing and discuss that line of thinking. Make no mistake I'm not comparing you to a poacher, etc. But that way of thinking (I have to produce, and it's all about Antlers, etc.) is what got him in trouble too (not to mention others who have done illegal activity). Hopefully you've learned a lesson from this (as I hope we all have) so that it doesn't come to that for you, or your son down the road.

Look within yourself and see where and what your values really are when it comes to hunting. If it's solely for the headgear so be it (nevertheless how unfortunate). Hopefully it doesn't lead to problems later on as this time you were lucky.

Respectfully,

Eyeguard

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

Public Opinion Has Weighed In!!!!

FAIR ENOUGH!!!! Public opinion has weighed in and I (Founder) should not have shot at the big buck. From second #1 of the whole event I had said that deer shouldn't have been mine. The first person (I thought a younger kid) who shot should have killed it, but they didn't. They missed, as did the other fellow.

I should have just watched the excitement and let the deer bound off, but I didn't...probably couldn't at that point. Instinct took over and I shot. I really didn't set out to step of those guys toes....I really didn't. I hope they understand that. I honestly felt they were done....had lost sight of the deer while reloading and I guess from what they said, clearing a jam in one of the guns. I just didn't think they were going to get that deer and I shot. ????????????????

What more can I say?

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

RE: Public Opinion Has Weighed In!!!!

Brian, I do not understand why everyone here has to bash another hunter you or someone else everytime a good animal is brought down. It is due to this kind of crap I will never post a pict on this site. All of the comments "I respect you but now you have gone down a couple of noches", Like you give a rats azz what they think of you. Next time you take a dump and wipe you azz put the TP in the crapper is where 99% of all the BS opinions go. If my kids acted like some of the jerks on here do they would not walk for a week. Public opinion BLA BLA. There is only ONE man's opinion that matters and that is your's. You look you in the mirror every morning. Like what you see, it is all good. If you don't time to change something. Later bill

WOW this deal sound like the one me and the wife had in Idaho last year. somtimes I think there is no clear answer. Its like I was told when my wife wounded a buck last year and another guy killed it "Your wife should be upset she didnt make a better shot and the other guy should be happy he made a better shot" But to this day I dont think there is a clear way to do this. Other then make that first shot count!!!
Brian sorry to see you need to deal with this it is hard and takes away from the hunt I now it really bothered my wife last year and probably took away from the other persons feeling of there Trophy they took home....

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Willard Utah

Well said ELKSLAYER Others weren't there and they can imagine any perfect scenario they want! 99% of these same critics would have done the same thing Brian did only none of them would have posted the event! The other hunters are like a couple of drunk drivers blaming other motorists for being on the road! Brian has worked hard for the big bucks he has taken and come home empty many times! Unlike all the computer jockey
hunters on this site! He's still the most respected and best deer hunter I've ever known! I'm proud to hunt with him any time and I'll take the leftovers he passes! As for beating him up, what an assinine remark! What do these guys do sneak around the mountains listen for a gun shot, then run to the kill and offer to fight the hunter for the game?

> I have hunted in
>many different states including utah.
>So when I say Utards
>are idiots and that they
>don't have any ethics, I
>know what I am talking
>about. I have seen Utards
>shoot over, behind and in
>front of people, vehicles and
>horses. Just to try and
>put a deer on the
>ground. Now what kind of
>ethics are those? And Utah
>is the only state in
>which I have hunted
>that I have seen this
>go on. That is why
>I will not return to
>utah to hunt ever again.
>I don't want to get
>shot or see my truck
>shot. I have been in
>a similiar situation as brian.
>where I walked up a
>ridge and noticed a guy
>laying on his stomach looking
>through his scope, I looked
>in the direction he was
>looking in and noticed a
>very nice deer that was
>closer to me than it
>was to him. I chose
>to turn around and go
>the other way, in hopes
>of not spooking the buck
>and ruining his shot. I
>don't know if he did
>kill that buck, I heard
>a couple of shots but
>didn't go running over there
>to see if he had
>gotten it. and if he
>did miss the deer,shame on
>him. The deer lives to
>see another day. I am
>not going to go sit
>next to the guy and
>start shooting at the same
>deer,that is just retarted.
>
> AND I REPEAT, "UTARDS
>HAVE NO ETHICS"... PERIOD.
>
>And for all you mormans who
>don't like the muleyhunterfromhell, you
>had better be nice or
>I will unleash SATAN.

Muleyhunterfromgaytown,

You are a douche bag! Im glad you never plan on returning to Utah.

TUFF

>>>>What a shame that "hunting" is coming to this! When I hunt public ground if I see somebody has made it to the spot I intended to hunt before I did I'll find some place else to go. Furthermore, if people are shooting at a deer then there needs to be some sort of "grace period" to allow them to finish what they have started, you dont sit down next to them and start torching rounds.

Brian, I like you, we've spent quite a bit of time talking and I have enjoyed every bit of it but in this instance I wholeheartedly disagree with the way this went down. You sat down 15 feet from these guys? Thats 5 yards, my tv is further away from the couch than that. Put yourself in their shoes, it would not be cool to have a dude come sit in your lap and start shooting.

What a way to kick off a couple hunting careers, if I were a kid I'm not sure I would want to go throught that cluster #@$% again.

Drum<<<<
outstanding response i couldnt agree more + 1

Bud-I always want to show respect to those who have seen more sunrises and sunsets than I have. I want to believe that there is a wisdom that comes with age. I wholeheartedly disagree with your contention that 99% of the critics would have done the same thing. If that was the really the case, why the uproar from so many? Just so guys could sit behind their keyboards and lob cyber-stones at Brian? Not by any measure in my opinion. You have to give some legitimacy to the idea that this really pissed people off.

Its a really unfortunate event for all involved. For both fathers and their sons who spent the summer hoping, wishing, scouting and waiting for the day to arrive only to have this event sour it for everybody. Brian is strung up in his own website and is most likely embarrassed by now. The other father and son have the bitter taste of what happened to last until the next time they hunt deer where hopefully a great experience awaits. Every moment spent between a father a son in the outdoors should be "golden" and its really unfortunate that this will be an event that won't be easily forgotten by either kid. Its done, can't be changed and all anyone can do is build from it.

There are plenty of guys who have obviously have no problem with what transpired and I find it troubling. I also believe without a doubt that plenty of folks aren't just spouting hot air with their criticisms and would "walk the walk" when no one else is looking. For you to suggest that they don't have the courage of their convictions is wrong. I appreciate you defending your son and know this is probably difficult for you too but might see that some people have a legitimate reason to be upset.

I hope the one thing that comes from this is that there are lessoned learned here for others to take something from.

HighWidenHandsome,

Don't count me as one of the "99%" would do the same thing, not for walking up and shooting 5 yards away from another hunter!

You may be one of the 99%, but don't speak for anyone else!

>Bud-I always want to show respect
>to those who have seen
>more sunrises and sunsets than
>I have. I want
>to believe that there is
>a wisdom that comes with
>age. I wholeheartedly disagree
>with your contention that 99%
>of the critics would have
>done the same thing.
>If that was the really
>the case, why the uproar
>from so many? Just
>so guys could sit behind
>their keyboards and lob cyber-stones
>at Brian? Not by
>any measure in my opinion.
> You have to give
>some legitimacy to the idea
>that this really pissed people
>off.
>
>Its a really unfortunate event for
>all involved. For both
>fathers and their sons who
>spent the summer hoping, wishing,
>scouting and waiting for the
>day to arrive only to
>have this event sour it
>for everybody. Brian is
>strung up in his own
>website and is most likely
>embarrassed by now. The
>other father and son have
>the bitter taste of what
>happened to last until the
>next time they hunt deer
>where hopefully a great experience
>awaits. Every moment spent
>between a father a son
>in the outdoors should be
>"golden" and its really unfortunate
>that this will be an
>event that won't be easily
>forgotten by either kid.
>Its done, can't be changed
>and all anyone can do
>is build from it.
>
>There are plenty of guys who
>have obviously have no problem
>with what transpired and I
>find it troubling. I
>also believe without a doubt
>that plenty of folks aren't
>just spouting hot air with
>their criticisms and would "walk
>the walk" when no one
>else is looking. For you
>to suggest that they don't
>have the courage of their
>convictions is wrong. I
>appreciate you defending your son
>and know this is probably
>difficult for you too but
>might see that some people
>have a legitimate reason to
>be upset.
>
>I hope the one thing that
>comes from this is that
>there are lessoned learned here
>for others to take something
>from.

The 99% comment kind of chapped me and I wanted to respond but didnt want to get Browtines panties in a bunch by being snide, rude and uncomplimentary in my response.

For that reason I will just say X2 BUCKSPY, very classy response from one of the classiest guys that frequents this website.

We will sure miss you here in the great state of Utah! Don't slip on the green jell-o on your way out the door!

Big Joke..?!

There are many things about this hunt that would leave a bad taste in my mouth. It IS sad if hunting has come to this. When I have taken an animal I could account for my shot(s) and their placement. Surely it wouldn't take a forensic doctor to determine who shot where, and thus the first lethal shot? If the first guys thought they hit it, they had a duty to follow up. I won't judge if it was too close to be shooting to others, but I wouldn't do it and would be POed if someone did it to me.

Two comments are particularly troubling to me; "I Got A Big Buck!!!!" and "it was a joke regardless who killed the deer." 1) I would want nothing to do with this buck even if I did end up with it after it was all said and done and certainly wouldn't spread the joy to the world in any way.
2) It is a damn shame to think killing a magnificent buck such as that is a joke. No one, especially an ethical hunter would ever feel that way. If they do, they are not worthy of taking the animal.

We must not EVER lose respect for our sport and it's traditions and especially for the animal which we persue.

RE: Big Joke..?!

I have to disagree with the 99% of hunters would have done the same thing. Most of the hunters I know would not have done that while only a few would have. I would never actually hunt with the few that would have done this.

I'm sure after so much trashing, this post is probably winding down. By what has been said, no one will ever be "right". This discussion has opened some peoples eyes, along with Founders. I'm sure the last couple of days has been hard for him having to read how we feel about what he did. Maybe he's got some guilt about it....maybe not. That's for him to work through.

Steve

Brain,
Great Buck Nice Job.If you had only shot a spike no one would have said anything about it.Thats how it works Some people happen to cross a big buck and they think they should have it on the wall. Some people put in lots of time and money scouting. And someone eles gets to put it on their wall. But thats just how it works.If someone thought that they might have hit the buck they should have walked to the dead buck and questioned it then, not later. Thats bull.
It does not matter if you where Right or wrong in how you did it. I think the others where just as wrong. Maybe they should have shot the gun before they shot at the buck. They would have know where the gun was hitting 7 shots wow. Lets all go hunting and get over all the drama.Its not the last big animal on the mountain.You cant change the past but you can make a better future.Happy hunting and good luck to all hunting this season.

To Brian and all those directly involved: I'm sorry for all of you that it went down the way it did. I've had a similar situation and it puts a twist in your gut.

However, when I look at the pictures of the buck, I don't know in my heart I wouldn't have shot just like you did Brian. I'd like to think I wouldn't, but he's an awfully good buck to let run off. Lord willin' there will be better hunts ahead for all.

Mount that buck Brian and display him proudly, he deserves it. It wasn't his fault it went this way. Better he died this way than face down starving in a snowdrift surrounded by coyotes (or wolves.)

The Christian

Count me as one hunter who would NEVER sit down 15 feet from another hunting party and start shooting at the same deer. That's absolutely despicable behavior. I realize that public lands can sometimes be crowded, but shooting over someone's shoulder like that is ridiculous. Founder's initial post strikes me as an obvious effort to rationalize behavior that he knows was wrong, and now feels bad about.

The other issues raised by Founder's post (for example, questions about how do you determine who tags a buck when there are legitimate questions about who hit hit the deer first, or who made the lethal shot) are questions that are reasonably open to debate, and the right answer may not always be the same depending on the situation and circumstances.

But the threshold question of whether it's proper to sit down 15 feet from another hunting party and shoot a deer they are already shooting at, is not reasonably debatable. It doesn't matter whether they were missing. It doesn't matter if the animal might get away. You just don't do that.

>Keep pretending to be perfect Drum,
>its inspiring.
>
>
buck1.gif

>
>Later, Brandon

I was under the impression that this is a discussion forum. A story was posted here and I have posted my opinions. Just because somebody has a different opinion that you doesnt mean they are perfect or trying to be perfect. Grow up dude.

I am not perfect, not even close! I keep my mistakes between myself, my family and friends and God. If I post up a scenario that shows a lack of judgement or a momentary brain fart I would hope I get called on it so as to learn from it. If nothing else this thread has made people pause and think about siuations like this. Kudos to Brian for keeping it up, its never an easy thing to do but it speaks volumes that he did not delete or lock the thread. As I posted in another post, I have talked with him quite a bit and have enjoyed every conversation we've had.

I do find it a little bit odd that you single me out for voicing my opinion when it seems that the majority of the people that posted on this subject have shared a lot of the same thoughts. Whats with that? I aint gonna lie to you dude, its a little bit freaky

>LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-08
>AT 10:58?AM (MST)

>
>> These argument
>>posts are ridiculous! It's obvious
>>you guys claiming the deer
>>now are just angry at
>>yourselves for missing a giant
>>buck! Anyone would be! But
>>agreeing that there were many
>>shots fired by yourselves and
>>not being able to supply
>>proof (blood) that you hit
>>the deer is crazy! Why,
>>if you thought you made
>>a hit you didn't just
>>say so at the time
>>and ask founder how he
>>felt? Sounds like you guys
>>knew you missed and just
>>left! Founder and the other
>>fellows walked up the hill
>>above where he said he'd
>>knocked him down looking for
>>any previous blood trail and
>>none was found! How can
>>you argue that you hit
>>the deer? If the buck
>>was 400 yds out and
>>you hadn't been able to
>>put him on the ground
>>by then do you think
>>you were going to hit
>>him on the next shot?
>>COME ON.... And another thing,
>>you guys are blaming founder
>>for shooting at the buck
>>but you're not saying a
>>thing about the 2 brothers
>>that were shootin as well
>>and they weren't far from
>>the first shooters either! And
>>they both DID hit the
>>deer and agreed it was
>>the founders buck! I KNOW
>>I'D LIKE TO HAVE THE
>>FIRST SEVEN SHOTS AT A
>>BIG BUCK AND IF I
>>COULDN'T DROP HIM I'D CONGRADULATE
>>THE GUY THAT DID!
>>YOU GUYS ARE ACTING LIKE
>>LITTLE KIDS!
>
>What a shame that "hunting" is
>coming to this! When
>I hunt public ground if
>I see somebody has made
>it to the spot I
>intended to hunt before I
>did I'll find some place
>else to go. Furthermore,
>if people are shooting at
>a deer then there needs
>to be some sort of
>"grace period" to allow them
>to finish what they have
>started, you dont sit down
>next to them and start
>torching rounds.
>
>Brian, I like you, we've spent
>quite a bit of time
>talking and I have enjoyed
>every bit of it but
>in this instance I wholeheartedly
>disagree with the way this
>went down. You sat
>down 15 feet from these
>guys? Thats 5 yards,
>my tv is further away
>from the couch than that.
> Put yourself in their
>shoes, it would not be
>cool to have a dude
>come sit in your lap
>and start shooting.
>
>What a way to kick off
>a couple hunting careers, if
>I were a kid I'm
>not sure I would want
>to go throught that cluster
>#@$% again.
>
>Drum
>
>
>

Amen. Brian, you crossed the line when you shot near the other hunters. What a jerk you are. You have no justification. Come to Arizona and pull that, I hope that it is me that you encounter.;)

Sincerely,

Mark

>Ya, I don't mind if people
>disagree with what I did.
>I knew that it would
>be a hot issue. I
>never really thought about it
>before it happened.
>
>Maybe I should have just watched
>as the deer ran off
>as these guys were reloading
>and trying to get a
>jam cleared????? But I didn't.
>The grace period was 10
>seconds. They weren't shooting....So I
>shot it.
>From the second the shooting began
>to now, I wished they
>would have just killed the
>deer with the first shot.
>But they didn't. Like I
>said, I thought it was
>a young kid and his
>dad who missed 6 times.
>I do feel better now
>knowing it was two adults.
>I also feel VERY, VERY,
>VERY confident that the buck
>would have survived if I
>hadn't shot it, so I
>do not feel that I
>stole it from anyone. Those
>guys were done when I
>shot that deer.
>
>The buck certainly doesn't go down
>as one of my finest
>trophies. Nor, is the hunt
>one that ranks up there
>as one of the funnest.
>With 5 camps within 1200
>yards of that deer and
>more than 15 guys watching
>the knob it lived on,
>it was a joke regardless
>who killed the deer. Of
>course, I didn't know there
>were that many people in
>there until after all the
>excitment occured.
>
>I'll take it like a man.
>If you think I was
>a prick, so be it.
>It's done and I'll live
>with it.
>
>I should have went hunting for
>this deer, there were probably
>only 10 guys trying to
>get this one!
>
48d3eff050dc26b9.jpg

>
>Brian Latturner
>MonsterMuleys.com

You are still a jerk!

Sincerely, Mark

I think it's ridiculous to sit down anywhere near someone else and start shooting.
If I am hunting somewhere and even see that someone else has already spotted a buck, I wait for them to make their move. If they back off then I may step in and go after the buck, but certainly not sitting down next to them and taking a shot.

For someone who has already killed several huge bucks to put the buck in front of basic sportsmanship like this, just goes to show what view he has of mule deer. They are far more important to him than doing the right thing on the mountain. This shows a complete lack of ethics, and is exactly what we shouldn't be teaching the kids.

I hope anybody reading this will realize, 1 buck isn't that important! Walk away and look for a different buck!!!!!!!!!

OK..... Buckspy you have my attention! As you said, I've been around a while and yes I will defend my son right to the end! I agree that the incident was a lousy one to deal with, but in my 50 yrs of deer hunting I've witnessed tons of incidents where groups of hunters have encountered game (a target) this includes hunters say 5-10 all in the same party and times when it may include hunters from different parties and everyone shoots! No body asks permission from anyone else!
And usually the end result is some kind of conflict, normally not drastic but feelings get hurt ( even in same party situations) I don't think anyone would go looking for this kind of scenario but it has historically been so! If you've been hunting a while yourself (and I know you have) I'm sure you are well aware of many of these cases yourself! Example... Take Brian completely out of the picture and say the 2 hunting partners killed that buck! Extreme1 claims the deer was shot twice, he says he hit it on the first shot but doesn't say where the other hit came from, so who's buck is it? I'm sure they'd work it out but the guy that didn't get to claim it would still have an inside resentment! Things don't always work out as perfectly in the outdoors as you seem to think they should!
Am I suppose to support the insults from the Hillbilly Morons on this site that make statements such as "Somebody should kick his butt"? These kids need to have Momma turn on Sesame street and watch it until they grow up! There needs to be an age and IQ minimum before posting! I've read the posts critisizing Brians poor shot ( in the ass) at over 400 yds yet nobody has mentioned the 7 bullet holes the 2 other hunters blew in the sky at half the distance! (those guys would have loved to have the ass shot)
And OK.... If we all agree Brian took the shot from too close to the other hunters then have at it, but the bottom line is it wouldn't have mattered one bit where he shot from the other hunters had NO chance of taking that buck... they admit 1 gun jammed, the other empty! For them the buck was gone, lost never to be seen again! (unless of course some of you may think he would have been back in the morning)
Oh, and 1 other post suggesting Brian is on his way to becoming somekind of poacher ( the name Deerking, I don't know who Deerking is) I'd challenge any of you to find a person who has hunted with Brian to make any such statement! ( he's the guy who picks up you guys leftover beer cans)
So finally, I guess all the critics believe because Brian is a good ( no,excellent deer hunter) and he has been very successful (after all he is always out there, if not hunting scouting) he should NEVER be allowed to make a mistake or a bad judgment! YES... I stand behind my son! I know him and I respect him! As for the critics on this site! It's easy to tell many are full of B.S. and some are even liars!
Like ELKSLAYER54 says... I'm sure none of these critics have ever made a misstake! BUCKSPY... you team up with the pissed off critics and I'll enjoy the companionship of my son and we'll both be happy!

HOW'S THAT? BUD

Bud-I hope there aren't any hard feelings because I didn't intend to insult you. I made some points and so did you. I won't belabor any of the previous points to avoid redundancy. I hunt with close friends and we have great times and memories and we don't go around "pissed." No one I hunt with posts on this site. Like I said before: the best thing that could come out of this is we all learn a little along the way.

I wish you good hunting.

>I do find it a little
>bit odd that you single
>me out for voicing my
>opinion when it seems that
>the majority of the people
>that posted on this subject
>have shared a lot of
>the same thoughts. Whats
>with that? I aint
>gonna lie to you dude,
>its a little bit freaky

Sorry man, your not my type. My point is, people who live in glass houses shouldn't cast stones. I don't need to bring dirty laundry into this discussion. But don't sit here and tell all of us how great of a decision maker you are. (I would have walked away blah blah blah...)
buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

OK, I've let people rip into me on my own website. I can take it. In the end, we learned that some claim they also would have shot the buck as I did, more claim they would have let it go. I respect some of the opinions shared, whether they agreed with what I did or not. There is no doubt in my mind that there are people in this world that are closer to perfect than I. In the end, I regret a few things that happened in those few moments. Regard me as you wish.

I'm locking the thread now because I think about every opinion possible has been shared and I've got work to do and more big bucks to chase.

Sorry if someone didn't get their chance to take a stab at me, but I'm sure your thoughts were posted by someone else.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom