Ibex Info?

ratherbhuntin

I recently moved out to New Mexico to finish up some schooling and by dumb luck drew for the once in a lifetime Ibex hunt. Needless to say that this is all I have been thinking about since I found out I drew for this tag! I have never been to the Florida Mts and am planning my first scouting trip in a couple weeks and would appreciate any information on the mountains and hunting these critters. I have been learning a lot from previous posts and am always looking for more info. Also does anyone have a system for judging the horn size?

Scouting trips will be the most helpful thing you can do. Get out there and see what it is all about.
Hike up in there, use your optics.

Some good outfitter websites that have lots and lots of pics of ibex. Looking at those pictures will help on judging.

If they come around in a wagon wheel it is gonna be a big billy.
However there are some that do not "wagon wheel" that are very good also.
The mature billys tend to be lighter colored, but, not always.

Horn size and judging were my first concerns after drawing a couple years ago....get in shape. Plenty of good billys roaming that pile of boot eating, lung burning, wind blowing, ankle twisting pile of rocks. Just as Paul described, follow the horns from the base on an arc, if the tips are below the base it is worth looking at. The hunt was great, just don't underestimate the terrain.

Tip: most billie tat are all white with a black stripe are nice billies. That said some are bigger then others. After you spend several days you will get a feel for it. Unless you are picky and really want a high scoring one - not necesary IMO.

hunt is a piece of cake. billies all over the place and nobody hunting them. good luck. one of the best hunts n.m. has to offer. i wouldn't worry to much. any mountain range that you can hike up to the top and back down in a half a day and eat a steak in a tent with a fifth wheel isn't that bad.

I had the OIL tag last year.

PM me if you want some info or pictures and I'll send you an email.

Congrats, it is one hell of a fun hunt, savor it!

Chris

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom