Jerky Recipes

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
It's that time of year ! I haven't made my own jerky in years and can't find my old recipes. My boys pulled one up on the internet but it was just ok. Anyone want to share there super secret recipes ?

4 Tablespoons Ground Black Pepper
1 Cup Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
1 "dash" hot pepper sauce
1 "dash" Worcestershire sauce
2 lbs meat 1/2 inch slice

This is a recipe I was given a while ago, its one of my favorites for sure.

+1 for Hi-country

It's not only the seasoning but the sodium nitrite cure that comes with it. The cure is what give it that great red color and texture of commercial jerky.

I like just the original, 24 hour cure, then 1.5 hours in the smoker with fruit wood. Finish (but don't over finish) in the oven. Again, don't over dry it! That's were a lot of DIYers get it wrong.

With the original, you can play with flavors after the cure. For Teriyaki add brown sugar and soy sauce. Sweet and spicy and red pepper flakes and brown sugar. I like just coarse cracked pepper.

Ive tried several recipes of jerky, from home made to stuff off the internet. BUT the best I have had is the Peppered jerky mix from Cabelas. By far the best I have ever used. 1 box for $8 and it does 15 pounds of meat. I did my elk last year and my deer this year. REALLY REALLY GOOD!
The other flavors they have I dont like, but the peppered is AWESOME!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-15 AT 01:08PM (MST)[p]I like Hi Mountain Seasonings better than Hi Country's but of course that's all subjective. My fav is the Hi Mtn Original flavor. It's pretty much guaranteed to be a hit.

I cut the meat with the grain in 6" strips 1" wide and 1/4" thick. Smoke with applewood for 4 hours at 200deg and then drop to 180deg and no smoke until you see white fibers all the way through the thickest part of the strip when you bend it in half. It helps to shuffle the racks about once an hour and pull individual pieces when they're done because they won't all dry evenly. Put all the jerky in a gallon size zip-lock and seal in the fridge overnight to even out the moisture and then vacuum seal the next day into serving size portions.

BruinPoint- you are right ! I meant Hi Mtn not Hi Country. The Corn Syrup is so good and you can add red pepper flakes or a little Ghost Pepper season to the Corn Syrup then smoke with Hickory. It's addictive.

Sodium nitrate cure, a little garlic powder, onion powder, brown sugar, mandarin orange juice, soy sauce and smoked paprika to taste. The wife mixes this up and I use it for jerky the stuff doesn't make it to the bag from the dehydrator as my
kids tend to gobble it up. I wish I knew amounts, I think she just does it to taste with the juice, sugar, as the main ingredients and the rest are like a dash as they tend to be strong.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

1 bottle of Teriyaki sauce
1 bottle Soy sauce
1 bottle Worcestershire sauce
Throw in tabasco to your liking
Couple tablespoons of liquid smoke if not using real smoke
Soak for a few hours
Sprinkle with Lawery's seasoning on one side after soaking and placing on the tray.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

Homer, Your the winner hands down period. That's my recipe and that's the only method the old timers used. Teriyaki, worchestershire, liquid smoke, sounds terrible. Salt and pepper and air dry is the way to go. Sourkraut

I picked up a Hi Mountain variety pack at Bass Pro shops. I have only used that type on burger. We we will give it a try and see if we like it. We will try a few of your other recipes and pick a winner. ;-) Keep them coming.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom