Jumping Jacks for hunting.

High5

Does anybody use a Jumping Jack trailer for hunting?
I checked the archives but the info was from last year??
I think it would be a good fit for me because I usually hunt by myself, I drive a SUV and I have RZR
I think the ease of set up along with ease of towing would be great. I'd be very mobile?.
They are a bit rustic but I think it would be plenty comfortable for me and maybe one other person. They are set up to carry a propane tank (option) with a slit for a hose, so you can use a heater inside. All cooking would have to be done outside under a small awning (another option). Probably not the best choice for late season and probably a bit hot in August.
My main concern is how they do in heavy driving rain and wind? I've been in the Uintahs during a severe rain and wind storm and had my fiberglass pole dome tent fail (snap), we had to spend the rest of the night and trip sleeping in the truck. What would happen to the Jumping Jack in a situation like that?
The company Jumping Jack has been sold to Lifetime/ Backyards, does anyone know if there are changes in works as far as different models? options? sizes?
Another thing is there are no used ones for sale in my area??So...everybody must like theirs?
Any input will be appreicated.

Agreed... 5 grand is a bit on the steep side for something you could probably make yourself for around (or less than $1,000)... If you are gonna spend that kind of money get either a tent trailer or a small used camper and be more comfortable.

I also agree the 5 grand is to steep. if they would drop the price down to around 3500 I think they would be very popular.

Archery is a year round commitment!!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-09 AT 10:41PM (MST)[p]I've looked at other options, not many under 12K for hauling a UTV and living quarters in 1 load (other than a tent and ATV trailer).....that a Landcruiser can easly pull, with ground clearance, that can get into tight spots, are easily set up and taken down.
Does anybody use one? How do they do when it's very windy and storming hard?

Jumpin Jacks?? When i saw your post, I thought "shooting jacks with your rifle to get ready for huntin season," sorry.

They look nice and rugged but I've got wall tents and equipment for them so I never really gave them a second look.

A used quad trailer and a wall tent with wood stove. I've set my 12X14s up by myself numerous times. 12X14 W/frame plus wood stove=$1,500.00. Just my opinion.

Glad my thinking is along the same lines as most who've posted. I can't justify that kind of money for a trailer with a tent on it. If they brought the price down to something MUCH more reasonable... they'd probably get a lot more business. Perhaps that's why they sold the company?

EG

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

I've been looking at getting a Jumping Jack trailer for a few years now and it was the price that always stopped me. Not because they aren't worth the price because I truely believe they are but because I have too many other expensive hobbies. :) I know that the Mossback guys have used them and liked them.

I also work for Lifetime Products, the company that recently bought JJ trailers. We sell some of the display units at Backyards Inc for a discount if you come in at the right time. They really are a well built toy hauler that was really thought out by the Badgers (old owners of JJ Trailers). The Badgers now work for Lifetime Products and continue to push for quality. They developed a heavy-duty, easy to set-up (less than 2 minutes) that holds up to wind/rain/snow/etc. This isn't a 'cheap' built trailer. If you guys want to come and check one out head to your nearest Backyards Inc. We have 4 stores located on the Wasatch Front from Draper to Clearfield.

http://www.backyardsinc.com/Locations.aspx

I'll second the wall tent and ATV trailer. Best bang for the buck. I bought a King Canopy 10X20 from Cabela's five years ago for $500. It a has 2 inch steel pipe frame and snow trusses. Takes me about two hours to set up by myself, it's much easier with two people. I've had this tent in wind gusts up 70 and up to 12 inches of snow fall in 24 hours. No complaints so far. It comes in three bags that fit into the ATV trailer with my Rhino.

Cabela's doesn't sell this model anymore, but you can get them from King directly.

www.kingcanopy.com/product/hc1020pcf

You need to substitute the side walls with the window version to have the same set up as mine.

www.kingcanopy.com/product/bj2pc

I bought a 10'5 Lance camper a few years ago for 2K.
refer, freezer for the Ice Cream, 7K BTU Roof Air so a Honda 2k generator will run it.
I put a hitch extension under it and pull the ATV.

I own the first Jumping Jack trailer ever built, and it's still going strong. It's got to be near 10 years old now. I bought it from Rob Badger several years ago. They are built very well and are designed by hunters for hunters. They are not for everybody and have their limitations, but there is nothing else in that market niche that even comes close in cost or design. Mine has been used in high winds, snow, and driving monsoon storms. I've used if for quickie one night campouts to 10 day elk hunts. I love it. Good luck!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-09 AT 09:44PM (MST)[p]Thanks Bulzeye,
Your info is exactly what I was hoping for.....someone who has a lot of experience using one, especially in weather.
I'm not into spending 1/2 a day setting up a camp and if I bag out or decide to move camp I want to be able to move on easily.
Like you said they are not for everybody and it's not like your married to the JJ, If I decide that it doesn't work for me or I'm not using it enough.....seems like it could be easily sold via ebay or KSL.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom