Kids, what did i do wrong?

400or200

Hello MM'rs. New to posting, but have been a viewer for years. I guess I am looking for some help. I have been around hunting my whole life, probably too much maybe. My kids are really not even interested in going with me at all. If I ask them to go they always seem to want to do something else. I have somewhat forced them to go a few times in the past and they always say they are glad they went, but never ask to go or if given the choice would chose not to. We have been camping and fishing and it is about the same story. I remember growing up, all I wanted to do was hunt, fish, camp, anything outdoors. I have the same issue with sports. They will play sports, but if given the choice would probably chose not to, without my wife and I persuading them. Have I done something wrong? I hate dragging them to do these things, I know some of their friends and they seem to be the way I was when I was growing up, and their parents are not even interested. Am I doing something wrong, and don't just say "make sure they have fun," I know they are having fun when they go, it is just not a priority to them. When I ask and they decline, it feels like someone just kicked me in the balls. I don't want to hunt the rest of my life by myself without my kids. That is all I have done with my dad my whole life and want to so desperatly with my kids.
Any suggestions?

I cant answer your question because I am in the same boat, my kids a little younger 8 and 6, but I am hoping when they get older that it will get better for them.

Make it fun. I have been lucky with my kids.

My oldest (23) went with me when I was younger and i made sure that i always put in for youth tags and stuff that he would be successful with. He now is not into hunting, but, we have good memories of our hunts together and I know he is proud of the animals he took.

My daughter (18) I almost had to force to go with me. She almost always had fun. We had some tough hunts where it was a little to exerting, but, she looks back on those good memories. She took 2 oryx, elk and deer. She has no interest in hunting now, but, she also looks back at her memories fondly and we often talk about them. It definetly made us close.

My youngest (14) is very much in hunting. He has been very successful and is very proud of his animals. We have been able to hunt a lot more than my older kids for many different reasons.

I know taking my kids (and my wife) hunting has make us closer. These are great memories and time that is not spent watching someone else do something like sports or movies. It is time spent together doing something. Living life is much more gratifying that watching someone else living life.

Make sure your kids draw tags. They most likely will enjoy being the one with the tag more than only observing.

One question I would ask is do you go a LOT without them? Like with friends etc.? If so it may be they resent the thing that consumes your time that is not them.

Let them know the ONLY way your going is if they go too! Then make it ALL about them. Try to stay positive with advice and such. Teach them the right way to do things and correct them but don't nitpick. I have a friend whose boy doesn't go with him because he lords over him constantly.

Let them take their electronics and other bull chit just to get them there and with you and as they have fun and success they will forget about the other stuff, some people try to cut them off these things cold turkey and they will just resist,LOL!

It will take huge effort on your part and will not be the funnest hunts you have been on AT FIRST but it will be well worth it and soon you won't want to hunt without them.

Good Luck. You will figure it out.

Bill

Kill the buck that makes YOU happy!

They are all pretty young to give up on and maybe one or more will come around and want to go with you. You say they don't even seem to be interested in sports, so what are they interested in when they aren't in school? I think a big problem nowadays compared to when I was growing up (I'm 64 and I started going hunting with Dad when I was 5 or 6)is that there are so many more things these kids can get into, both good and bad. One thing I'm sure of and that is that you aren't going to force them into liking what interests you. I would try to get your daughter out if she seems to be most interested and maybe the boys will see she's having fun and want to get in on it too.

There are so many things to grab a kid's attention now days. Are they hooked on the video games so many kids play now days? I often ask my students what they like to do. Most of the time it's X Box or something like that. Kids are so conditioned to instant gratification that it is really hard to get them interested in other things. Do you get the kids out actually shooting, not just tagging along? I always tried to sit one of the kids on my lap and let them steer the truck when out on an old 2 track. They always enjoyed doing these things. I started out with 3 girls, a son and a step son. Due to accidents and a brain aneurysm, I now only have 2 adult daughters. All my kids loved to go camping, hunting, fishing, etc., but my daughters have gone and turned vegetarian on me. That's okay. They are wonderful daughters and very successful in what they do. You can't determine what they will end up liking in life, but you can sure enjoy them and support them in whatever they choose to do. Show them you are proud of them and love to spend time supporting them. That bond you build may move them to want to go hunting etc. with you. If not, you have still spent precious time with your kids. They grow up fast so don't let it pass you by.

Someone made a great point about involving your kids on all your hunts.

Your hunts are not about spending time with others. For us it has always been the family. Few years ago we met a great guy that was stationed at the military base and he adjusted his hunting to go with us. This has turned into a lifelong friendship and he is very close with my kids as well. That was a great thing for us.
Point is, that I rarely if ever take off and go hunting with others unless it is to help out. Almost always the family is involved and in Kharts place he melded into our format perfectly.

Wow, thanks for the responses! To answer some of the questions, I also let my kids drive, shoot, and even have their electronics. I would not say that i have given up, but when I see other kids that are the same age and "diggin it", I just wonder if I could be doing something else so my kids "dig it." My kids love school, and would never think of missing a day of school unless they are pewking their guts out, espesially not to go hunting. They are in the top of their classes and I could not be prouder! They do feel like if they are not around the neighborhood, that they MIGHT be missing out on something. Even when some of their friends are out hunting or camping or such. I am sure they will be more successful in life if they stay as smart as they are, but i just want to go HUNT with them a bit. I have guided for 10+ years, maybe its time to guide them a little more!!! Thanks for hearing me out and I appreciate the responses and any more help is graciously taken.

I KNOW SEVERAL GUYS THAT HAVE KIDS THAT JUST NEVER GOT INTERESTED IN HUNTING......INCLUDING MINE. NEVER WANTED TO PUSH THE HUNTING /FISHING THING......ALWAYS LET THEM MAKE UP THEIR ONE MINDS. THERE ARE TONS OF OTHER HOBBIES THEY GOT INVOLVED IN, MAKING MONEY WAS POPULAR REAL QUICK. SCHOOL & GRADES WERE THE NAME OF THE GAME......I HAVE A COUPLE OF LAWYERS & AND A FINANCIAL/BUSINESS WHIZ. THEY ARE ALL DOING WELL, I GET TO SNEAK OFF BY MYSELF & HUNT.....WORKS OUT NICE..................YD.

Maybe you just uncovered the problem. You said you are a guide. Now that is one job that takes you away from home for long periods of time. Not saying it is wrong, it's just the way it is. Maybe your kids kinda resent you being gone so much, hunting with others. When you do get home, you want to take them out "hunting" again. Maybe they feel that hunting is more important to you than they are, and you want them to go just so you can go do that one thing that they feel is more important to you than they are. I'm sure that's not the way you feel, but kids can really scramble things up when it comes to competing for their parent's time. Just a thought.

I think buck lover makes some great points. Prioritize may be the key not to suggest you have not. You need to provide but maybe a little fine tunning could do the trick. Good luck..

Thanks again, when I said I guide, my guiding exists of 2-3 hunts a year mostly the month of Sept only. Not sure what vaquero is leading up to? I have already made arrangements to "retire" from guiding, and focus more on the kids, and that is why i am asking for good direction as to a great father/kids/hunting/outdoors relationship. I think in general we have an awesome relationship EXCEPT they don't seem to have the passion for the outdoors as I do...not the end of the world, but just wondering if I can include it in our relationship more and not damage what we have.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-11 AT 10:52PM (MST)[p]I assume you scout for these guided hunts. Maybe take them along and do some digiscoping/spotting, things like that.
I took my oldest daughter on youth Elk hunts 2 years in a row and never saw a friggin track. Needless to say, hunting is way down her list. The youngest I took Turkey hunting and made sure she saw lots of birds and got a shot (corn does wonders). We then went Antelope hunting in WY where she shot a young Buck. She's in school now but wants to take it up again when she gets out.
I'm a firm believer that the kids need to see lots of animals. Not necessary to kill but they need action to keep them interested. They will then learn the hiking and patience pays dividends.

My kids all take school and some of them sports VERY seriously and are mostly straight A students. They do so even though they miss school for hunting and camping. We have talked with our kids' teachers and they take schoolwork with them on the trips (up to 2 weeks) and often have the work done before the first half of the trip is over.

Each of my 4 kids (ages 6,12,14 &17) are different in their passion for the outdoors although they all enjoy it. There are times when one or the other drags their feet when we leave either because of some social or scholastic event but once we get halfway down the road it's on! They even treat each other like humans on our trips! LOL!

Buck lover basically said what I was trying to,only better about the resentment.

Bill

That's a tough one. I have an 22 year old daughter, 19 year old son, 17 year old son. They have all hunted and fished since they could walk. Never pushed them either they always wanted/want to go. It's been the toughest on my youngest as he has been playing football for 7 years and has not been able to do much big game hunting because of practice all those years. He is a senior this year and will be playing college ball starting next season so he is still screwed. Kind of a bum deal but it is FOOTBALL. I fish Bass tourneys so I always try and take one of them during my pre fish time. Also, I've never told them no when they asked to hunt unless it involved missing football practice. The middle boy played for 6 years but no college ball.

-John Wayne

Sounds like your doing things right. Keep it up, and be subtle but persistent. Strange as it may seem to us, hunting/camping just isn't in some peoples blueprint. My great grandpa was all about hunting & camping. My grandpa loved to go camping but not hunting. My dad preferred not to camp and didn't hunt at all. I can't get enough hunting and camping in a year. I have three kids of my own now and know how you feel.

Wow what a refreshing post-finally.

I've been thinking a lot about the same things lately, as we just had our first baby boy 2 weeks ago. Granted, he's still a few years out before I'll start taking him out much. But, I think that's part of the key, to start them as young as possible. I think kids need to experience challenge to appreciate success. Every hunt doesn't need to produce an animal. I think they'll be better off learning this sooner than later. I know that's what built the fire in me. I wanted to succeed at killing that deer, rabit, pheasant, etc, because they'd beat me and it was a challenge.

I also think a huge deal is going to be the influence of their friends and family members. If they're also active hunters you'll have a lot of help. If they're not, then you can bet they'll be trying to divert your kids attention elsewhere. I especially think your wife needs to be on board and support your goals.

So, my plan is to start my son early, involve him in as much as I can, help him to learn from his mistakes, and realize thats how we become not only better hunters but better people. Encourage him to associate with people that also like to hunt and fish, etc... And double team the effort with my wife and family.

When all is said and done I just hope he was born with it. It's true, some are, and some aren't.

Good luck. Sounds like you're on the right path.

I'd also try to get them involved in any youth activities the various conservation groups might be doing. Maybe their own memberships to a few groups so the can feel they're part of something. Encourage them to watch the hunting shows on tv. A lot more shows are geared towards the youth, and are making an effort to make hunting cool and acceptable for everyone. As much as we dog on a lot of these shows, it's a great tool to use on our youth hunters.

I have often wondered whether or not I am raising my kids the right way. It's a nerve racking thing for a parent. I have a 19 year old that is getting married in May and she was one of the first to go hunting with me. She was really excited about it when she was younger and now could care less if she goes or not. She still likes the outdoors and going camping, riding atv's etc. but the hunting thing has kind of gone to the wayside. She is also marrying someone that isn't much of an outdoor type. Someone that I would have never guessed would end up part of my family. I also have a 16 year old daughter that is my killing machine. She likes to go but lately the whole sports thing had taken over our lives. I think it's really hard to play sports, get good grades and hunt. Too much demand on a persons time. For now I think hunting has to take a back seat for all of us. She actually has a legitimate chance of playing division I soccer and get a college education paid for. My other 2 girls (12 & 6) are still finding out who they want to be. We raised them all to appreciate the outdoors and they all love to hike and hang out at camp, shoot guns especially and I'm hoping to get my younger 2 out to hunt turkeys this year. I can relate to Bob and I think I can remember back to the day when I was in Prisms shoes (first new born). Damn, that was a long time ago. You're right however, it's all how you raise them and they will each choose which way to go. The one thing I know for sure, if the oldest never hunts again, there were memories made on those trips to last a life time for both of us. Hopefully she learned a few things about herself and her old man to boot.

It's always an adventure!!!

Good post Bull.

Man you got a lot of estrogen flowing in your house, I have 12 and 17 year old daughters and I love them DEARLY but it can get a little dramatic at times with two and the wife let alone 4 and a wife,Haha.

All kiddin aside I wouldn't trade my two daughters for all the sons in the world.

I hear you on the sports front as well. High school Volleyball has crippled our deer hunts a bit and Basketball has hurt the waterfowling. The hard part is there are three others coming up that have to be taken still so I miss some sports and some hunting, its hard to do it all and still have a quality time and experience for the kids.

Bill

Okay, I'm going to say one more thing. One of the posts said that your wife should also be a major part of the hunting process. My wife doesn't hunt but supports me 100%. I know some that go through hell every year just to go out a few times a year. It becomes a huge contention. If by chance there is resentment in your wife's attitude, then you can bet that the kids are feeling it. Either consciously or subconsciously, she will convey to the kids her feelings when you are gone. I'm a Grandpa now, so I get to try to involve kids all over again. I need a bigger truck.

I don't have a lot of experience to speak from just yet, (my daughters are just 3 and 10 months)

But I think I will second some opinions that others have expressed. If you go out with the buddies all the time. Or don't consider a hunting or fishing trip a "real" trip because you took the kids along then they will grow to resent the very thing you want them to come with you and do. They see that you consider them a burden on the trip and they do not enjoy themselves.

My oldest brother takes his 3 boys on nearly every trip he takes. He has started taking them as soon as they turn 4 and he just keeps taking them. Some trips are short because the youngest melts down. But they ALL love to load up and go with him. And I am sure that they will continue to enjoy going with him in the future.

It seemms like if you don't get them started with you when they are very young it gets pretty hard to catch their interest later in life. His friends all say they wish their 9 year old would load up and go like his oldest son does with him, but they won't even consider taking the 5 or 6 year old who wants to go??? Seems like at some point logic would kick in but it doesn't.

Sorry to sound negative, but if your kids are too much over the age of 5 or 6, you are no longer considered the "cool guy" in their lives anymore, so getting them to come with you now will be an extremely hard thing.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-11 AT 11:28AM (MST)[p]I believe a parent needs to provide their kids with opportunities, lot of different type of opportunities, then step back and let the kid make his or her own choice. Timing is key, their age, their skill level, and knowing how long you provide them with a given opportunity vs. dragging them along. For me hunting is something I enjoy doing, be it alone, with good friends, or with family. I have three kids, and provided the opportunity to go hunting with all three equally. All have gone along with me from time to time over the years. One daughter lost interest early on, instead of spending time in the fall hunting we found other things to go do, she is twenty now and has regained an interest in hunting, due to a boy who loves to hunt, go figure. I just don't believe you should force or make your kids do things they don't want to do, be it hunting, going to school, going to church, or becoming the star quarter back. Provide them with opportunities and sit back and let them be who they want to be.

It's sounds like you are doing things right. The bottom line is that not all kids are going to like the outdoors like we think they will. My three boys like to hunt and fish but not near as much as I do. I am fine with that. My goal as a parent is for them to be good honest individuals. Their other interests are secondary.

Me and my cousin grew up hunting on family deer hunts every year. I love to deer hunt, he goes occasionally. He loves to snowmobile, I don't. I think he's nuts for what he spends on His sport, he thinks I am nuts for spending what I do on hunting.

Some of us are just wired differently I guess. Whether we are weekend warriors in the hills, or we apply for every hunt we can afford, it really makes little difference. It's tough to get kids involved. Sports, school, church, etc... One just needs to do the best they can and hope things work out- a good balance is key.
Whatever you do, don't force them or ever expect them to like hunting as much as you do.....

I'm surenyou areva great parent.

I don't have any new advice for you. All my thought have already been expressed by others.

I have been very lucky. I never thought for a second that my kids wouldn't hunt with me.

My kids are all married now with kids of their own. I have 1 son and 4 daughters and they ALL still like hunting with their old man. They all look to me for hunting advise, guiding, direction and help. They are a great source of joy and pride on levels which are much more important than hunting (if there is such a thing)

I was on 7 seperate hunts with 4 out of the 5 kids just this year. Yes, I am a lucky guy!

Thanks for the post and good luck.

Zeke

Well thanks guys for the encouragement, I knew there were great parents here on this site that love their kids as much as I do. I guess more than anything it is just time to site back and re-evaluate ways to include them by not pushing and shoving. Maybe they love it more than I give them credit for, just not as much as I do, which is expected. For heck sakes they are just kids. Just want to do the BEST i can and have my kids right by my side! Thanks again and good luck! Any tips and advice are always welcome.

There has been alot of good advise already, but here is mine. I have an 11yr old who wants to hunt any and everything. He loves fishing or anything outdoors for that matter. Like most of you guys, I included him in every hunting, scouting or camping trip I take. I put him in for every youth hunt that we have available, he loves to check the draw results. He has had some amazing hunts, which I feel make all the difference in the world. As you get older it's more about being with your kids, family and friends, but a kid is all about the action and they usually have alot of fun killing or catching limits. Take advantage of the youth hunts and make it all about them.... Great job on your part for seeking advice, keep trying and I'm sure they will come around.

BC

If all this advice fails....and I don't see a problem on your end, you might just want to accept the fact that hunting is NOT for everyone.

Some people/kids are simply not going to be interested and you risk pushing them farther from the experience by making a big issue out of it.

Leave them home and get on with YOUR life and they will either come around or.....play golf!

"Fathom the hypocracy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove that they are insured.....but not everyone must prove that they are a citizen"

I believe kids are told what to do not asked.

If you have done your job as a parent and been there for them and fulfilled your obligations, you have the moral authority to tell them what they are going to do.

Example.

Billy your deer hunt is this weekend we will be leaving on Friday at noon.
Dad, I want to go to Jimmies and hang out.
Nope, we are going hunting.

I think parents put way to much faith in kids abilities to make decisions. It is my job to decide what is best for them. I know that is contrary to the modern view, but, I think I know what is best.

So you make your kid go hunting and he wanted to go hang out at Jimmies, you do your best to make it interesting, exciting, and good time between you. If they do not want to be with you, you have other problems.

Times have changed. Too many kids are glued to the x-box. It's not real life. They don't learn life lessons like you can teach when your in the Boonies. Patience waiting in a blind, enduring that hike, respect for animals/natures, bonding, traditions, ancestor stories, helping each other as a team and so on. The pay offs are memories never to be forgotten: that sunset, that stalk, a pine chicken roast, seeing that monster buck, catching that big brook, our secret spot, getting stuck, cooking with pop cans, and that perfect night under the stars. That instant gratification stuff is the easy, selfish, noninteractive, lazy, way out that should be held in check. Little kids love the outdoors and can endure much more than you'd ever imagine. We drug our kids all over Southern Utah when they were just tiny ones and we never quit. They've seen and done some incredible things. Well they are all different. They don't have to have my passion. But they do have to learn life lessons by going. My last boy just kind of did it all because the family does it. He doesn't go out on his own so I've had to figure out other stuff that intrigues him that we can do together. We hiked Grand Gulch together. It was the first time that he passed me. Ya know how ya lead the family but then the day comes when the boy passes ya up. He loved it. I fell off cliffs and he'd have to help me up stuff. So teach them life lessons, control the lazies, and its ok if they find a different way. My kids always come back for more.

Do they enjoy doing other things with you? The reason I ask is because when I was young my dad was my hero. I wanted to do anything and everything he was doing. I would follow him outside as a 2 year old and watch him work on his car and try to help him. My love for the outdoors grew from my dad taking me hunting and from wanting to spend time with my dad.
Now I have a 3 year old boy and I can see that same desire in him. He loves to follow me around and try to help me in anything I do. I took him on his first hunt last year and we just drove around and looked at turkeys. He loved it and always asks if we can go hunt again.
Now matter how hard we try or push our kids to do something, if they dont enjoy it or have a desire it just wont work and often times will push them away from it.
My little nephew grew up hunting and will still go but he would rather be a computer geek and play video games all day. we cant choose what our kids will like or not like, but we can help them by giving them the chance.
I'll be 30 next month and I havent hunted with my dad in 10 years besides his LE tag he drew 5 years ago. It pisses me off that I try and get him to go every year but always finds a reason to back out. He just doesnt care to go anymore and doesnt realize its the memories with family and friends, not just to go hunting.

Early on. Lots of trips to the outdoors, the baby, Mom and me. Day trips, picnics, fishing. I hunted with my friends. He stayed home. When he was a year old we were camping over night. Second child, now way an 18 month old and another baby, same routine. Lots and lots of outdoor activities, lots of sight seeing. Lots of wildlife toys, bows and arrows with suction cup tips, and toy guns. Toy horses. Everything in our lives, our friends lives was hunting fishing and the outdoors. Constant conversation. If we were not outside we were talking about the next trip outside.

I still hunted with friends the boys stayed home.

By the time they were in kindergarten we were shooting a Red Ryder BB gun in the back yard. I must have cocked that gun 10,000 times, setting on the back step shooting milk jugs. (Big targets = success. Success = confidence) I took them fishing. I took them a lot. When I took them fishing I learned I leave my fishing gear at home. I took their Mom so there was someone there to mother them when they fell or got dirty, or need supper, or got stung by hornets. We took the BB gun on fishing trips, they hunted deer, elk, squirrels, fogs. grasshoppers, sparrows and Big Foot. We let them run but always kept the distance within reach.

We sold the camp trailer and bought a 18" lodge and went to lots of Rendezvous. We bought them stuff to make out of beads and leather and metal so they could have a cache of stuff to trade. Mom made them leather clothes and bought them coon skinned caps. We taught them to stick a tomahawk in a stump and set a gopher trap.

I held off pulling the trigger on my deer hunts because I didn't want to end my hunt so even though I hunted with my friends, ever evening and every weekend I wasn't in the back country, from the time they were three I had them and their Mom in the Jimmy looking for deer or elk. By the time they were 5 or 6 they were spotting deer as often as the adults were. We put the binoculars on hundreds of rock and stump deer in those early years. I stopped for everyone, never scolded them for seeing something they thought was a deer that wasn't. Didn't want them to stop looking.

We always kept reminding them what a wonderful life we had enjoying wildlife and the outdoors. Tried very hard to teach them a balance of love and respect for all animals as well as the love for hunting and harvesting and conservation so they could have it for their children some day. On Sunday afternoons during the spring and summer we would drive over to the marshes and watch the song birds, the muskrats, the blue cranes, the baby skunks, the porcupines and the squirrels.

When they were 8 or 9 we bought them a pellet gun. I pumped it 10,000 time setting on the back step.

They had no less than three fiberglass bows and a hundred wooden arrows before they got their first compound bow.

They trapped squirrels and nailed there salted hides to the top of there bedroom dresser, they collected deer tails and hid them in their sock draw. They pissed their mother off.

Between 8 and 10 I started taking them deer hunting with my friends. They never shut up, they thought they were equal to anybody in camp. I explained to them they were not a million times but to no avail. My friends did the same. Some of those deer camps had twice as many 10 year olds as adults.

I taught them to catch and release fish. Keep enough for lunch, turn the rest back and keep fishing. Fishing's fun, do what ever it takes to stay on the stream as long as you can.

I taught them to shoot deer but i also taught them to let a lot of deer walk. Save your tag, the fun is in the hunt, not just the kill. We passed hundreds more than we killed. We killed a lot too.

When they turned 12 I started them elk hunting because they were now mature enough and strong enough (not mature but mature enough) to keep up. We slept on the ground, under the stars, elk screaming and trashing timber, antlers crashing and elk musk drifting over us, yards way, giggling at the wonder of it all.

Hunting, fishing and the outdoors was our life. Our children never knew anything else.

Did they do anything else. Yes, I coached them in baseball and basketball until they started high school. One won a State Championship in Baseball, One played tennis. One wrestled. One played the trumpet. They worked. One worked before it was legal and had enough cash to buy his own Bronco then he turned 16. Another saved enough to pay his way on a guided caribou hunt in the North West Territories in Canada when he was a junior, including airfare and a new .300 WnMg.

I never made them hunt or fish, we just lived it everyday. We put it in front of them every minute we could. We told them they could do anything they wanted, if they wanted to be in the school band, great. If they wanted to play the piano, great. If they wanted to wrestle, great. Whatever, great, do the best you can, we support you, now grab the shot gun and go get the dog, lets see if we can find a pheasant before the ball game.

They are teaching there kids the same way. Not all will take to it but some are coming along nicely.

I think your judging yourself way too soon and too critically. Besides, if some of your children choose a different path, enjoy it with them. life is full of amazing opportunities be it the outdoors or otherwise.

Just make sure you and your family enjoy the journey. Success to your adventure!

DC

LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-11 AT 12:47PM (MST)[p]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4vrOlgAqcM&feature=share

This video puts things in perspective. Somehow making memories young instills great things that we will always cherish

You never know when these treasures are called beyond our reach

I have always loved hunting and fishing. My dad was a hunters education instructor, and I had been through the course a couple times by age 5. I did get my first bb gun that year as well.

I have always told my kids stories about Bucky, Elky, the Big Stinky and Quacker. They always had the main character chasing a bear,coyote or wolf and poking it with his horns to save the herd. When the kids were young they always loved the endings. I could also teach them about predator/prey relationships and they didn't know they were learning.
As the kids have gotten older I will tell them stories about us all hunting. I make it a point in the story to add "we moved slowly", "we glassed slowly picking the mtn apart", ect. So I am planting a seed. I always let the kids spot the animal in the story and say something like "good spot", that always brings a smile.
Now that my oldest (12) is going on back pack trips with me, I learned to let her lead. She would lag behind when I was leading, but when she was up front her attitude was completely different.
Anyway, just some thoughts that might help...

So far, I have let my kids tell ME when and if they are ready to hunt. My daughter is 15. She hasn't hunted yet, but is getting very accomplished with a rifle. She knows all she has to do is say the word, and she's hunting. The signs are there. My son, 9 years old, is showing more interest early on than his sister. Again, it's HIS call. They both love fishing and camping, getting firewood and the woods in general. I don't want to push, and possibly ruin it for them. Don't feel like it is a "kick in the balls" if the kids don't hunt. If mine choose not to, they do many more things that make me as proud, or prouder, than if they choose to follow my passion of hunting. It's probably more important if I follow their passions for now. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON Jan-01-12 AT 02:17PM (MST)[p]Maybe they just like to do other things more. Just because we all love it doesnt mean everyone does. Its unfortunate for you since they are family but everyone is put together differently. you might have to find something else to enjoy with your kids?

sounds to me like you have made it fun for them and done what you can to get them involved already.

sorry, not what you want to hear im sure.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com

I have 3 boys 20, 17, and 13. The oldest is a fanatic, the middle loves it when his is hunting, but doesn't spend much time thinking about it otherwise and wouldn't want to scout. The youngest goes and has fun with me and his brothers, but will sleep in every third day and probably wouldn't hunt if me and his brothers didn't. Give it some time and you never know, but to be a good dad you have to also support any other true passions they have, not just the ones you share.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-01-12 AT 07:00PM (MST)[p] I have taken many kids over the last 20 + yrs, Ive hooked some & lost some. Seen seven take thier first elk, eleven take thier first deer & a handfull of birds. My boy 20 yrs old takes a bull every year & has done it on his own w/ both bow & rifle.
The young ones I lost were early in my life & I soon learned that sucsess is not the most important factor w/ kids & you should not be hunting yourself when taking them it should be all about showing them a good time. limit the walks to reasonable walks for the kid, build a fire & warm some food, throw rocks in the creek, pick mom wild flowers, build a fort, let them wisper & ask questions. fun fun fun
Getting up early hiking your a$$ off & staying out after dark should all be left for trips without the kids. When they start having fun, You have greatly increased your odds of hooking them. If they have bad experiences before you hook them It is a slow carefull procsess to turn them around.
I belive going without them can be a good thing. If you go with people they enjoy spending time with, but seldom get to they start to wish they could tag along.
Another big one is to take thier friends when you go.

Good luck, & if they choose to spend thier time doing something else, enjoy it they grow up fast.
IN TODAYS WORLD THEY ARE FORTUNATE TO HAVE A FATHER THAT CARES LIKE YOU DO !!!

I wish to thank all that have responded. It is great to see all the positive influences/ideas that have been tried and trued, by other outdoor enthusiasts. So many responses to a topic/thread that deals with OUR kids, shows me that you are just as passionate about your kids as I am mine! Thanks to all!

try taking them out with just the .22's and go shoot cans and make a game outta it. maybe go out after some rabbits etc. doesnt have to be deer etc. get them hooked on guns and then work up. also clay pigeons and a 410 maybe?

I think the best piece of advice given is to invite their best friends along. What their best friends like they will like. This becomes more important in the teen years. The teens are fun because frequently the friends have as much or more influence on them as you do. Too bad you can't hand pick your kids friends!

400, your kids are still young. Don't worry about it. Just keep taking them & take them shooting and give them fun stuff to shoot. Go talk to the produce manager at your local grocery store and see if he will give you stuff that your kids can shoot. It's biodegradable and fun for the kids to blow up mellons, tomato's, etc. Make it an "event", teach them gun safety, be lavish with your praise when they make a good shot, and they will beg you to go again!!

The best thing is that you genuinely care. If you have fun, so will they.

I started "brainwashing" them early on. Its also part of everyday life with me as I guide and in the woods nearly year round. I bought them toy bows and have them shoot with me at 3-d shoots and in the back yard. They bring their bb guns everywhere and now at 8 and 6 no how to handle guns safer than many adults! They ask for camo like daddy and happy to see it when Santa brings it! I include them on scouting trips and ungided trips as often as i can and they are into it big time! I'm very lucky.. Keep at it and they will figure it out... Here is a pic of our pig hunt that we did this past wknd... My buddy killed his pig and his little girl was there and my two kids were there to watch the stalk and kill!
GOOD TIMES!!!

3605sdc11059.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom