Legal access by Streams and creeks

Gator

Long Time Member
The way it sounds you can now walk in wet stream & creek beds to access landlock areas in Utah.

I wonder where this was a issue to become a court case.

Bravo its about time I can get access to some of the better areas I know of

Good Luck and Great Memories

This has been legal in many states I am glad utah finally followed. As long as you stay in the stream bed your are on state land!!

This does not apply in Texas. Only navigable RIVERS (not creeks) are public land.

Anyone know the law for Colorado?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

CO the water is public property but the bottom of the creek or stream or river is the property owners, but if you can float a boat down it your well within your rights, Property owners cant fence or baracade accross such waters either,

That has been one really nice thing about Idaho. I'm excited to search out some waters in Utah now that have always been unaccessible. I always have to carry around a proclamation when I fish certain waters because even though I have the right of way, the property owners don't see it that way. I do appreciate the opportunities this presents.

In Colorado I think that it has to be considered a navigable water, ie the upper colorado is not considered navigable so you can't walk the riverbed.

The EPA has a much different definition of navigable water than
Colorado. Everything except urine from a cow seems to fit their bill.

I think this is great news. I loved hiking up and down streams as a kid in Idaho, now we can do it in Utah.
I am headed next week to some great fishing spots that have been closed. Scary, but fun.

The way I read it, you still cannot walk on private land to get to stream or creek. The only thing this ruling sort of changes is that you can now walk down or up a creek or stream bed.............no where on the bank----it's still private property. So, the Weber up on Thousand Peaks is still pretty much off limits. You cannot get to the river anywhere without trespassing. Kinda sucks. I was looking forward to fishing that stretch.

So this means that while hunting in Utah this year as long as you step into the creek bed on public ground and stay in it you can walk through private ground to the public land that is land locked behind it????

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom