Lone Peak Mt. Goat

K

Knockmdead

Got a buddy that drew a once in a life time tag on the Lone Peak Unit. Can anyone help us with some good starting points. This is going to be an awesome hunt and he is totally excited about it. I am just trying to do some research for him.

PM me if you have any thing you think might help.

Don't need any sarcastic stuff. If you want to help that's great if not that's great as well.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Is he a resident or non-resident? If he is a non-resident, he can hunt all 4 of the Wasatch units. I have some good advice for 2 of the other units, but I am a bit limited on Lone Peak its self.

Jon

Thanks Terry. LOL Just looking for some starter info not any honey holes, wait why not honey holes. This is a once in a life time hunt for everyone. Hunters should only be in those honey holes once to kill their sheep, then they can share their info right?

Jeff

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-13 AT 05:58PM (MST)[p]If I had a OIL tag in my pocket and was a non-resident, I'd be looking for a guide. And that's not sarcasm, it's the truth. And I live at the base of that unit.

Knock, I have been in on a few goat hunts on the wasatch including my own. Send a p.m. and I would be happy to help you out.

If your buddy wants to hire a guide as one posted in respone to your inquiry, none better IMO than JDC who also responded to your post. He and his brother Neil outfitted and guided me when I had a NR tag in the unit in 2009. I had an awesome hunt and truly enjoyed the whole adventure. Not sure if you searched this site yet as part of your research but here is a link to my story...

http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b...922&forum=DCForumID5&archive=yes#.UdtiNXy9KSM

Hope this helps and congrats to your buddy on the tag!

Horniac

Lots of questions that need to be asked and answered before this thing kicks off. Is your buddy in "goat shape"? Does he plan on back-packing? Hunting solo or with someone? Does he have time to scout? Has he ever stepped foot on the unit(s)? Does he know a nanny from a billy? How about the difference between an average goat, a decent goat, and a great goat? Does he know how to skin one for a full body mount? How's he going to get the meat, hide, gear, etc. off the mountain?

Here is the answers for you 4X4

My buddy can beat most everyone up the mountain, great shape. We will most likely be hunting off our backs, moving camp on our backs every day if needed. He lives in So. Arizona currently but used to live in Herriman and hunt the Wasatch all the time. Therefor he will not have a lot of time to scout that's why we are looking for a little help to get us started in the right direction. Then we can make the most out of our scouting trips when we can get there.

I am sure neither he or I are not the goat experts. We hunt a lot and we do know good animals when we see them. He is a taxidermist so I am not worried about how we will take care of the skin or meat, he is pretty good at that. All the animal (head, hide, meat, ect.) will come off the mountain on our backs.

We are not new at this hunting thing, just never hunted Mt. Goats and were looking for a leg up so we can have a successful hunt.

Thanks to all that have given some info.

Jeff

I took a goat off the actual "lone peak unit" in 09. Horniac and I met up for some scouting. I don't think a guide is a must for finding the goats. Judging them, that's where experience comes in. If I were to do it again, I would find the biggest bodied billy I could and shoot it. Let the score be whatever it is. PM me if you want info on the Lone Peak unit.

Horniac, do you have a link to part 2 of your goat hunt. I liked part 1.

Yelum

Theres logic, and theres women. They don't go together.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom