Lordsburg quail hunt bust

stevie

Spent the weekend with one of my daughters looking for quail around Lordsburg. It was truly bleak. Saw one small covey in 2 days of hunting.

Never hunted that area so this was more of an exploratory trip. Stopped hunting early and opted to climb a peak in the Burros with my daughter instead.

Saw a few pig hunters, but no one was having any luck.

What's a quail? I saw a little feathery thing run from me during my pig hunt, but thought it was some sort of desert unicorn or something. Hardly anymore quail or pigs in SW NM. Kinda sad....

Very sad. Another sad thing was the deer. I was in some really good looking deer country in the Southern Burros and saw no deer. Not even a doe.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-14 AT 08:10PM (MST)[p]Yeah I've heard the quail population has crashed due to the drought. But there are at least a few running around, when I was glassing for ibex a couple of weeks ago I heard some calling nearby, grabbed my shotgun and flushed a huge covey of 50+ birds. Scattered them pretty good and got some good shooting for next 30 minutes, ended up with 6 and a cottontail, should have had a few more but I missed some easy shots. Hope we get some better weather and they bounce back, I'd sure like eating more quail.

4002p1010204.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom