Lost a handgun?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-14 AT 12:18PM (MST)[p]I finally found my hide gun that i have never had use for but have if i do. I had it with me on a trip dowm below over a year ago, it was in my duffel while i was at my sisters house. When i got home, i set the duffel, minus the dirty clothes, in my closet and it sat there for a month or so until i went looking for the little 5 shot stainless model 60 Chief's Special. It wasn't in the duffel and so began the puzzle!

I looked everywhere, the whole time wondering and worrying that someone had possibly stolen the gun. Deep down, i didn't think that anyone would do that, figured more likely that i had stashed it someplace in my house for quick use if needed and that i'd maybe forgotten just where i'd put it. Several times,i even got up in the night to go look someplace that i may have put the thing, no luck each time, the puzzle continued.

Finally, i had to go below again on another trip and packing to leave, i picked up to include, my Dads old leather shaving kit bag and it felt awful heavy, heavier than what i might have thought the usual contents may have weighed. YES! There it was, wrapped in a oily cloth, couple full speed loaders, and in a zip lock bag.

Talk about relief... and lesson learned. OK, blast away or share your story...

Edit: So while down below this trip, i took some extra ammo to target shoot, never had put it on paper. I found that with a "normal" sight picture, the piece shoots about 4" low at 15 yards. I'm a old hand at elevating my front sight from shooting ground squirrels at distance with my target 22's so i did just that, i elevated my front sight about half the blade, presto, she puts them right where they need to be. Remarkable accuracy really, much tighter groups at 15 yards than a guy might think possible with a 2" barrel.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Joey, that gun was regulated for shooting 158 gr. bullets. If you are using a lighter weight bullet, it will shoot low. My wife packs the same gun and prefers the 110 gr. higher velocity hollowpoints and I had to file the front sight down to get them dead on at 15 yards for her. Needless to say that gun only gets fed 110 gr. HP as the 158 gr. will shoot about 4-5 inches high with the front sight filed down. That's ok, as I have a spare barrel with the factory sight if it is needed to replace the altered one.

RELH

RELH, as usual, you are a wealth of information and we here are lucky to have you as a contributor to this Forum.

I suspected that my hitting low was a result of the Ammo that i was using. i've generally not had much problem with the sighting on S&W handguns before this one. I was shooting Winchester 125gr JSP's.

Now that i know, my thanks to you RELH, still don't think that i'll do the surgery on the front sight like you did. It's no biggie to elevate that sight for me and someday, i may choose to use the heavier rounds.

Nice little gun. Mine is older than newer and well put together.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Hey Joey, this is Gerry. Glad you found you're gun, I've got a lot of 158 grain 38 special targe/tin can loads you're welcome to help me shoot em up.

Hey Gerry, you betcha! Besides never passing on shooting up some of your free ammo, i finally might be able to buy or trade you out of your old model 19 lol

Joey

My wife is the proud owner of 4 handguns, 3 of which would be considered "protection" guns. I even put laser grips on one for her. Sweet little mod 60.

A couple weeks ago she was headed to my cabin with her twin sister and wanted to borrow my Sig 239. I though this was strange until I found out that she's LOST ALL 3 GUNS!

I think they're somewhere safe since we moved a few months ago and they're just tucked somewhere, but....

She claims they're safe but she still cannot produce one!

The story continues and I hope it turns out as well as yours did Joey.
Zeke

Zeke, thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad to hear that i'm not the only one to ever misplace a handgun for awhile!

I know full well the possibilities that could happen if someone else might come across a handgun i own or use one of my handguns to no good while i couldn't account for it. I'd be up the proverbial Shi* creek! Then there is always the possibility of someone under age or untrained in firearm safety coming across it and being hurt or worse. Scary really,.. and it should be.

Good luck accounting for all of yours Zeke. i know how it feels and as i said, my lesson was learned.

Joey

Zeke, I do not know where you live, but if it is in CA. Tell your wife to find those guns ASAP. If a juvenile under 14 gets hold of one of those guns and injures or kills someone, you or your wife, maybe both will be arrested and charge with a crime for failing to take steps of securing those firearms.
CA. penal code law that was passed several years ago.

RELH

I know that there would be issues IF.
There's no need for anyone to panic. We moved and she poked them into something in the spare bedroom. That's where they are, no doubt. She just won't look for them and her JUNK is off limits to ME. That's just the way we roll.
Thanks for the heads-up but there's no need to call in 5-O quite yet! Ha
Zeke

Zeke, i believe RELH's warning was directed to me as well, to all of us really, but he may have cut me some slack because of what i said about him earlier.lol

We all need to pay a little more attention to our firearms that aren't always or are hardly ever locked up in our safes. That's why i posted my story knowing that i may get blasted here but putting a bug in you guys ear that might keep you from doing as i did.

Oh, some here may not own a gun safe yet. Do it!! It's a great feeling not to have to worry that some kid isn't playing with or stealing your stuff while you are away from home... and, my safe holds a lot more to me, RELH's knife is in there, ;-) , than just firearms. That mid level gun safe very well could be the best money i ever spent!!

Joey

It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I've never lost one but 'found' a couple I had forgotten about.

A few years ago I was cleaning out a gun room and ran across two NIB H-K flare launchers I had forgotten about.

feddoc you are beginning to sound like me. Damn tough getting old isn't it.
The majority of my guns are locked up in a safe. I do have several house defense guns that are available to me in seconds that I keep in hidden locations. My grandkids are trained about not touching any firearm they find and they know if they want to handle a firearm. They just have to ask me or their Dad and we take them to the gun safe and they must demonstrate that they know how to check if the gun is empty they want to see.
This removes the natural curiosity that a kid may have about handling a firearm they may come across and obey the rule of getting an adult to take care of the found gun.
When friends bring kids to my house, the guns are locked up to prevent them from finding them and doing something stupid.

RELH

It was a relief when my kids grew up. Now I can "hide" my guns around the house without worrying BUT just yesterday my son asked if he could have the youth model 870, 20 ga he had won years ago. He needed a home defense weapon. It was just inside the door of the garage, loaded with #3 buck, plus 5 rounds on the buttstock and 2 more boxes sitting next to it. My "If I get chased into the garage" gun.

I gave him the gun, and a couple boxes of #3 buck. Told him he had to buy his own butt stock shell holder since I replaced that gun with another one out of the safe.

Glad I got that back to you before the move! Thanks for the long-term loan. My three got a lot of enjoyment from that express. I know you have already put another one in it's place, just in case! Stay safe my Brother.

Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence. I fear none and respect all."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom