Manditory Harvest Reporting?

PaleHorse

I have been thinking of this a lot lately.

If the UDWR is so concerned about our mule deer herd, why don't they implement manditory harvest reporting? I would think this would be far more accurate than an opening weekend check point or some random fly overs.

I am all for it. I would even say go as far as to give an incentive/punishment for not doing it. That could be as simple as a SMALL fine or making you inelegable to apply the following year. Or some other type of encouragement to do your part.

They do this for all L.E. and O.I.L. tags. The state has basically become completly L.E. besides general elk anyway! So why not just make it manditory across the board.

These are just my opinions and thoughts on really getting more accurate data as to the state of our herd. The UDWR wouldn't do it on L.E. and O.I.L. if they didn't think that it was benificial and helped them manage that area better! I am not talking trophy animals here just accurate and honest data.

What is everyone else's thoughts and opinions?

I wouldn't mind reporting my harvest data every year. I've always wondered how they can put those general harvest numbers on their site without harvest reporting... I realize computer generated models are good, but how accurate can they be from year to year..?

It would be interesting to compare actual harvest numbers to computer generated harvest reports...

How do you keep people honest though..?? I could report harvesting when I didn't or vice versa... Don't know why a person would lie, but they easily could...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Alaska requires that you send in 'harvest cards'. If you kill they want to know the location. I would imagine that most of the kill locations are BS especially with sheep. But I don't think people would lie about killing an animal.

The penalty for not returning the harvest info is that you don't get to apply for special permits the following year.

It used to be a PITA to keep track of all the cards, but now its all on line and easy to track and update. Great system IMO. I believe its been done this way for almost 50 years.

I forgot to add something. The way l.e. is set up now you are required to report reguardless if you killed or not. I think that this is the way it should be for any "harvest reporting". Just data concerning how you did success or not. Make easy online just like everything else!

The simple answer: Because mandatory harvest reports don't give the DWR any better information.

The long answer:
A few points by the article: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR_E005349.pdf
1) Mandatory reporting does NOT ensure 100% reporting or 100% accuracy...in fact, sometimes hunters perceive an incentive to actually lie about their success or lack thereof--" Gamesmanship, or perceived dangers from giving true information may cause people to misrepresent the truth (i.e. lie), especially about killing an animal. This might be more prevalent for...hunters who may believe tag numbers would go down if kill rates are high or among individuals who might believe that reporting the harvest of an animal could lower their personal chance of getting a tag in future."
2) Costs--"When all costs are considered, mandatory reporting may cost about nine
times as much as an equal size voluntary sample and six times as much per report (see ?The costs of big game harvest assessment?, page 9). Optimal sampling within the deer or moose programs would produce statistically valid harvest estimates with about 30 per cent of hunters sampled. In these cases mandatory reporting from all hunters could cost as much as 23 times more than optimal voluntary programs." Also, "Statistical methods operate on the principle that a representative sample can provide information which is as good as a complete count, but less (often much less) expensive. In many cases, a complete count is not possible. Mandatory reporting ignores the economic savings which optimal sampling could provide. It should be necessary to demonstrate that the economic efficiency of mandatory reporting exceeds that of optimal sampling (i.e. that a 300 per cent increase in costs produces at least a 300 per cent improvement in information value)."
3) Hunter surveys tend to overestimate harvest which errs on the side of conservation--"?Statistical Estimates? of harvest are not expected to be perfectly accurate. They depend on an assumption that the activities of hunters who report are similar to those who do not report or those who are not sampled. This is not always true. Voluntary sampling tends to overestimate harvest because hunters who feel they have something important to report (i.e. a harvested animal) tend to respond at a higher rate than those who do not harvest game. This error is on the side of conservation, but can be corrected, again by statistical techniques. Generally, statistically estimates may be either higher or lower than the true
harvest, but they are correct ?on average?."
4) Mandatory harvest reports tend to underestimate harvest--"Mandatory reports would likely underestimate harvests. Few people would be expected to report killing an animal if they did not and more advantages might be gained by not reporting actual kills. Because harvest information is ?added? for mandatory reports rather than ?projected?(as with sampling), every animal which is not reported represents an underestimate of the true harvest."
5) A wealth of information aside from harvest is needed to best control big game populations--"Many factors influence the abundance of game and the allowable harvest.
These include habitat quality, productivity, predation, accidental mortality, as well as subsistence harvests and recreational hunting. Each of these differ geographically, probably annually, and they may interact in complex ways. The important point is that most of these factors are measured crudely or not at all. The value of obtaining extremely high quality harvest information at relatively high cost is undermined by having little or no information on other factors."
6) Mandatory harvest reporting rarely gives drastically different information than samples--"If all other things are equal and unbiased, a proper statistical interpretation of the harvest estimate for a hypothetical WMU would state that ?the harvest was probably between 95 and 105 animals, and averaged 100 animals over the past three years.? Mandatory reporting would state ?the harvest was 96 in year 1, 106 in year 2, and 98 in year 3.? There is no reason to believe that mandatory reporting would provide a totally different answer (like the harvest was 50 or 150 animals) and clearly the management decisions from both voluntary and mandatory assessments should be identical."

Maybe I am the minority but I don't see the reason to lie. I would like to think that most people have some integrity! Guess thats what I get for being an optimist and tring to see the good in all people!

Manditory harvest reporting would not bother me. I have been called for the last 3 years in a survey here in Utah so I think there is a little bit of work being done.

Should be mandatory and require you send the tooth in or the un used tag the only way to know how much harvest there truly is on a unit. It doesnt seem that difficult. Im all for it and then some.

I have to giggle every year, at the number of hunters who flat out refuse to do any type of reporting about a big game hunt......including avoiding having a tag validated.

The number one stated reason..."If I tell them I filled out this year, I will not get drawn next year".

"My sister in laws babysitter's brother, has a gardener whos' pool boy is married to a lady that works in a computer store who says she actually designed that program, sold it to the SPCA, who then donated it to game departments nationwide!"

The "honey hole" concept is also a HUGE deterent....I could write a book.

Mandatory reporting or not, you will ultimately get very little help from rank and file "sportsmen".

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

100% there should be a mandatory reporting of EVERY big game tag issued.... as far as the point made that people would/do lie about location of harvest, i experianced that when i matched up kill sites and dates from the info hunters provided on there sheep hunts to where i knew they had harvested and found they were false about 50% of the time.....

I'd be for mandatory reporting if it was significantly statistically superior and if the cost of the program wasn't prohibitive. I'm not sure either point could be satisfied however.
I think by-in-large the hunters would provide accurate information if the F&G dept decided to use it as a tool.

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom