Meat Processing DIY or Processor?

idelkslayer

Quick survey.

Do you take your game animals to a processor or do you butcher them yourself?

In my family we always did the cutting and wrapping ourselves and I can't imagine it any other way.

I have however taken in my meat scraps to be made into smokies a few times.

Took my first animal into a processor. I hated the taste of the meat and swore I'd never hunt again. After eating some wild game from a friend who butchered it themselves I started hunting again and every animal since we've butchered ourselves and all have tasted great. Saves a lot of money too considering we are at five animals so far!

I do my own for sure. D-Bone and trim the meat clean. Wild game shouldnt taste gamey as people say. If it does its due to poor processing in the field and at the butcher. Many people dislike Antelope, but if taken care of properly, IMO its the best wild game.

I got back my elk 10 years ago from a butcher in SE Idaho, pathetic. I cut off a steak before i took some. It was dark red and tender. What i got back some nasty stinking brown gut shot elk. It was so bad i had to throw it out. Never again will anyone cut up my critters.

over several decades we allways butcher our own except for a few isolated times when family emergancies arose ect. and each time we didn't get the same meat back and not nearly the quantity, or quality we would yield

yep, learned my lesson. although i shot a small deer last year, you would have thought i shot a jackelope with the amount i got back from the butcher. it felt unethical to be honest, i hope the rest of the meat got eaten by someone.

Spent quite a few $$ my first few years here. Slowly learning how and frankly it's not that hard, but you won't learn until you start. Get a couple good knives, a vacuum packager, and a grinder(unless you really like stew).

Helps you learn what to do in the field also. Bottom line the quicker you get them cooled and the cleaner you keep them the better they will taste.

Remember those crappy, sinewy hocks make the best stew. I have a 1/2 horse cabelas grinder and can't be happier. I figure all the gear I bought to process was about the same as processing 2deer/1elk. Did my first batch of pepperoni sticks a week ago, and it was not hard and turned out well, but did take some time.

Satisfaction of DIY is a benefit too.

DIY for me. I have always done it my self. ABout 10 years ago I bought a 1 hp Cabelas grinder and wish I would have done that 20 years ago. I am going to grind a deer for a friend tonight. Ron

I do everything myself except the grinding for burger and sausage. It's just too easy and inexpensive to send it to my butcher.

I had a great deal. I was getting the meat ground for .10 a pound. All of a sudden he starts to charge .80 a pound and that is not wrapping just grinding.
My 1 hp grinder will grind the scraps off a deer the first time in less than 10 minutes. Then I change the plate and put on the tube to fill plastic sacks. I put on a smaller grinding plate for the second time through. Since the meat has not connecting fibers you have to push the meat through the second time. I have an automatic taping machine for the plastic bags. The second time through it takes about 30 minutes and it is in the freezer.
In less than an hour I do it all my self. Ron

Do it myself. Have for 30 plus years. Makes it great when something is down way back in. Just break it down and leave the carcass, hide and bones at the kill site. Makes the job a good part done when you get it home.

I have always done all my own. Over the years I have gotten better and better.

This week we had 2 dinners with pieces you would be lucky to get from a processor that were delicious.

I made moose osso bucco from some rear shank I had cut into smaller sections. It was unreal!

Also last weekend made braised bear shank and white beans. Also to die for.

If you like a bunch of burger I suppose the processor is fine. Personally I want a lot of roast, steaks and all the odds and ends to cook with.

Speaking of lunch... I have some pronghorn tartare that is chilling in the fridge waiting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom