Mom Got'erDone!!!!

Cookie2

Very Active Member
Mom drew the female/immature ibex tag and got it done this morning. I will post pics and story soon!!!

Congrats, can't wait to see the pics. I went out Saturday and never even got close. Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks

Glenn

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-09 AT 11:49AM (MST)[p]This whole thing started when Mpm and Dad went along on my bowhunt for these crazy things. They would sit at base of hills spotting for me while I TRIED to get into bow range. We all decided that they could get up high enough to get into rifle range if they could draw the tag.
Well, mom drew a F/IM this year and we were going to get the chance to find out. Day one was a bust as the "guide" was hoping there would be LOTS of activity moving the ibex around. There wasn't very much at all. Mom made it quite a ways up but the mountain did it's best to break her will. There were a few across the valley but it was a mile across at least so all you could do was watch and hope someone pushed them over. It didn't happen and the day was pretty much shot.
Day two the "guide" decided to give another area a shot. Found a herd of five at daybreak emerging from a cave and figured out a plan to get to "hopefully" around 300 yards from the cave. It took about two solid hours to get to the hopeful place and guess what? No ibex! They must have fed around the hill and out of sight. It was decided that the "guide" was good at trickery and had gotten her back up on that hateful rock one more day and the best course of action was to sit and watch a while. Less than 30 minutes later Mom spotted a pretty large herd making it's way across a ridge about 450 yards away and while watching them trying to get the gun steady the original herd of five CAME BACK! They were high up on the cave but a rangefinder said 215! Unbelievable. They weren't too comfortable for some reason and kept figiting around so mom go ton the gun and tried to pick one out. Every time it would move out of sight. Finally the "guide" was watching a big nanny stand still when the cannon went KA-WHOOOM! Out of the corner of the binocular view the "guide" saw a puff of dust and something falling! The something was another ibex (not being watched by said "guide.") It appeared to be a solid head shot during the 75 foot fall. The "guide" knew there was NO WAY Mom was going to be able to make it to where the ibex was so he decided to go fetch it and bring over for pictures.
This "guide" Was a little on the not too good side as he had missed a herd on Saturday and let them bust him and now he was feeling very bad because the only lens he had brought up the mountain was a 300mm. Pics are WAY less quality than he would like but not too bad.

4ad36b423ffe4844.jpg

congrats to your mom cookie! that mountains a mean sob! great job getting it done!

I knew she was my favorite aunt for a reason! I just can't believe that old nanny got a nanny, and actually hiked all the way up there. Guess that gives me some hope that when I'm 99 years old and my grand kids draw a youth tag that I will still be able to see on get killed lol. Lord knows I will never draw one of those tags.

4a9df39b7d637eb0.jpg

silly liberals, paychecks are for workers!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-09 AT 03:09PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-09 AT 03:08?PM (MST)

Stinky, she's your fasvorite aunt because she gets it done. Outshoot you any day of the week. Said she was holding where shoulder and neck meet. Hit midway up neck. Less than two inches left. The gun was hitting one inch left at 100 yds. anyways but afraid to adjust that POS burris!!
AND! If you dont lay off the muscle milk you won't be able to hike that rock when you're 40!!!!!!!!!

Super cool. That is awesome that your Mom scaled that mountain multiple times. Glad you remembered your chip this time.

Tell her congrats for me.

Thanks Paul. She said the "guide" tricked her into climbing the second day as she didn't think she was going to go up there twice in a row!!
Aren't you and Mrs. Paul hunting muzzy 34 this week? What's the score?????????????????

Tell "mom" congrats. First she scales the rim and kills a barbary and now she climbs the rock and kills an ibex. She is one tough lady!

The rim????? I think my wife ended up calling search and rescue on us on that little excursion. I think we almost had to pack her out on that one lol. Cookie, did you pack auntie up and down that hill????? ROFL!

4a9df39b7d637eb0.jpg

silly liberals, paychecks are for workers!

Way to go, Mom!! Any goat off "The Rock" is a good one!

------------------
DRSS Chapuis 470NE
SCI
DSC
WSF
QU
NRA

Mom sent me an e-mail and asked that I put it up on here so here you go:

Thank you, everyone, for your positive comments on my ibex hunt. Being a mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother I was remorseful about shooting a baby. My "guide", however, has admonished me to "stop it and revel in the accomplishment of my hunt."

It was a great hunt even if I did have a "guide" who used trickery to get me on that mountain the second day. He ignored all the whinning, kicking and screaming and just kept plugging along. Not many people would have put up with all that much less having to watch out for a handicapped, old man tagging along...LOL.

Again, thanks for your words of congratulations and good thoughts. As for you Stinkystomper, you're getting dangerously close to being written out of the will.... :)

Mom

Nice job and giving old stinky a slap down is icing on the cake LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom