Monroe General Deer

worst in the state..... Lets hope the studies being made along with predator culling helps for a better future.

Its at the bottom of the General units right now. Used to be good deer, but really SUCKS right now. I dont know why, But it sucks bad!

Monroe winter range 2013. The December "Apple Harvest" work crew.

PM Sent.

DC

2225img_17.jpg

4871img_16.jpg

790713.jpg

Nice pictures 2lumpy. I was curious about Monroe also since I put the wife in for this hunt based on the harvest results from past years. She has only killed a doe so any buck is going to do for her.

Due to my work schedule I wont be able to scout it till September. From the previous posts I'll make sure I take my varmit gun and see if I can thin the yotes out.

Hunted it last year on the rifle hunt and saw around 22 two points. Most every deer I saw hanging in camps were also 2 points. Hope all those we passed on grow as my son and I are headed back this year.

2lumpy thanks for the photos. Just trying to judge whether it's worth driving 10 hours to spend a week hunting or stay home and hunt the Alps for Blacktail and bear.

I spent July 22 through 27, 2013 in that area and saw very few deer. The deer that I did see were does and fawns. I probably wouldnt put in for that general area tag. Go shoot a bear.

For various reasons, when an area is managed for elk, the deer always seem to suffer.

The deer herd is for sure in bad shape but the elk don't seem to be doing much better. What is going to happen to this unit?

The DWR is in process of doing a fawn survival study on the unit. The fawn survival rate is not good.I have seen a 30" buck there that would score 190ish. I believe when the big boys get pressured they head west into the steep nasty country off the top. I am still amazed that there are not more deer there. It seems that the winter range is good and the summer range is awesome. I think that predators-- especially coyotes are brutal on the fawns. Fish and wildlife Services killed over 200 coyotes 2 years ago in 3 days in the Bear Valley and Sand Ledges area. I hope that the increased predator removal will help the herds increase. I do know that there are jack rabbits all over the place coming up from Glenwood, so maybe there are less coyotes on the prowl. Haven't seen that for a lot of years.

Don't let people discourage the prospect of hunting deer on this unit. It is a good unit with plenty of deer. I've spent years and years hunting the Monroe unit. It isnt any better or any worse than past years. A few decent bucks and a bunch of little fellers running around. What has gotten worse is the posting of private property. Some land has been lost due to development. The animals simply drop into that property and don't get bothered much. However I'm not sure I would drive 10 hrs to hunt the unit.

200 coyotes in 3 days is a story and nothing else. If they flew 8 hours a day for 3 straight days that is slightly over 1 coyote per hour for 3 days. According to the minutes of the meeting They have taken slightly less than 100 coyotes off the unit in the last 2 years. 200 in 3 days is nonsense, but there is a grundle of rabbits, so the 100 they removed must have an impact.

The unit is down from years past. Hopefully it is making a come back but the overall numbers are the unit are a far cry from the the past. Take a drive out through the winter range areas that use to hold literally 1000s of deer and now hold maybe a couple hundred. They are doing a lot of studies on the unit and will hopefully keep the hunting pressure the way it currently is and the herd will bounce back. From the biologist I have spoke with and meetings I have seen the 200 number is valid and it is only off the north end. Take a look at the study that is being done and you will see the fawn survival on the north end was considerably higher this past year than it was on the south end where they did not remove coyotes.

It is good to know that they are trying to do something. I wonder sometimes about the decisions they make. I did see that they killed a GIANT buck on the unit this year. I have seen a lot of two points this year so if they can manage the unit right there might be more than one big buck to kill in a few years. I hope it all works out because that place has great potential. Has anyone seen any BIG bull elk this year? From what I have seen it looks to be a slow year for the Elk.

Gunnie, I'm confused with your math. Three straight days of shooting 200 coyotes is a bit more than one per hour? Was there more than one helicopter? Thanks for clearing up my droggy mind.

According to the DWR folks the coyote removal happened in the winter of 2012. they personally told me that there were 232 coyotes killed over a 3 day period. don't know if there were more than one aircraft involved. I was shocked to think that there were that many coyotes in that area let alone that many that were gunned down.

I was just wondering how you ended up on your hunt? I came off the mountain this morning only to see two points in the back of trucks.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom