More dslr questions

backpacker

I'm in the process of looking into different cameras for my Dad as he is wanting to get a new one to replace his old film and and have kind of narrowed it down to the Xsi or the Canon 40D. I know the 40D is another step above the Xsi but I think he'd be happier with it as I've heard the Xsi is smaller and I think it may be too small for his bigger hands. Plus it will be his last camera and he is willing to pay for the better .

A couple of questions I had were:

1. Would it even pay to get a camera of that quality if he doesn't own a computer? I know that most everybody has their own software to crop and print their own photos and such (he may consider getting everything else down the road).

2. The photos he'd be taking would mostly be family and/or wildlife/hunting and scenery photos so what are some quality lenses to consider? I'm thinking a total of 3: normal, wide, and telephoto. Nothing too expensive, but not too cheap either.

3. Also something that's confusing to me is the f5.6 (or whatever) in the type of lens. What do the different numbers represent and what numbers are good for what? I had found a definition somewhere and had to read it several times and heard it has to do w/ the length of the lense as opposed to the diameter and is called aperture.

4. Last question has to do w/ the add-on flashes that are available. Are they necessary, and if so when, or will the cameras flash be sufficient?

Thanks for any info!

I understand what you mean about the feel of an XSI. I think a 40d is beyond him right now, especially if he doesn't even own a camera. Plus, they are $1300...quite expensive. I would buy a good used 20d or 30d for 400-600 dollars on Craigslist. They are the same camera with a few less features that he won't use. I believe these cameras have pop up flashes that are more than adaquete for general use.

With that money he saves he can buy a quality lens. There is a 17-55 f2.8 image stabilized lens for about $900 that is great for general purpose. I would buy the cheaper camera body and spend that money on a lens like this that he'll be happy with and will have great resale value. If he decides he wants a bigger telephoto in the future, there are plenty of options.

Regarding f5.6 and the speed of a lens...that's a long story. The jist of it is you want the lowest number possible. Hence, I recommended an f2.8 lens above... A faster lens or lower aperture number does two things: 1. you can shoot in low light because the lens allows more light in; 2. your background bokeh or blur is greater with a lower f-stop lens like f2.8.

Just as an aside, I hate using lenses slower than f2.8. F4 is ok, but f5.6 is really slow. If your father wants a cheap/good option, he could get that camera with a 50mm f1.8 lens. It's not versatile but it's good quality at $90 and very fast...

Shawn

I think for what you are describing the Rebel XSi is perfect with the lens it comes with. Your Dad never even needs to hook it up to a computer. Any decent local place that does developing has input machines that allow him to insert the card into it and manipulate the images and have them printed at the store. We do it all day long. The camera is light weight and takes awesome pictures. The self cleaing sensor and the large screen on the back, along with the great picture quality makes this camera a can't miss.
Call me at the store to discuss this further
212-753-5128

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
575 Lexington Ave
New York, NY 10022
212-753-5128
www.cameralandny.com

I had a misunderstanding on the 40D and purchased it thinking that it had "Live View" of which it does but not very good or what I was expecting. I also figured out in about 30 minutes it is way more advanced than for a beginner like myself. I took it back and will seriously consider the XSi. It has "Live View" and that is a huge deal to me as I don't like using the viewfinder on a camera seldom if ever. The 40D is a big camera, I really like the size and feel of the XSi. I would also suggest checking out the Olympus E-Volt 510, heard nothing but good about it and it is reasonably priced.

LAST EDITED ON May-01-08 AT 01:50PM (MST)[p]Well, here's another opinion. ;-)

It sounds to me as if your dad would get along just fine with a one-size fits all digital that has an optical zoom range of at least 10X and anything over a 5 megapixel file size.

IMO, buying him a sophisticated SLR with myriad lenses at this point is equal to buying a little ol' lady a Corvette so she can drive to the church that's two blocks away on Sun. Both are overkill for the task at hand. -TONY

See the thing is I'm not buying it for him, just comparing different s and letting him know which direction to lean- it's all coming out of his own pocket. Also he's the kind of guy who likes the newer/better stuff (even if it's overkill) and once that's in his head it's game over. :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom