Mossback legends of the fall 07

dieseldog

I just bought this video and watched i thought it was horrible. There is good footage of bulls on the hoof and stuff but the hunting was not that good. What was the average age of the hunter on it 65plus or what? Also please get the bull off of the mountain or at least gut them before you whip out your tape and measure them. Also way to go Skoronski on wounding a bull and not finding it till after the season and then having Doyle brag about it and tell you that you now have your monster archery bull. I know that animals are wounded all the time and not found but to put it on a dvd and then brag about it like he actually did something right. Come on. What did anyone else think about this video. Also how hard can it be when you have ten freaking spotters set up to watch your water hole and tell you when a bull is coming in to you. It was pretty comical when Jimmy Ryan says that the Mossback boys did a heck of a lot more work than i did for this bull. Though that was funny. Just my thoughts on this video. It is also horrible when some of the hunters on their are repeat hunters from the year before because Utah will pimp out their tags to the rich guys so these guys can hunt every year if they want whereas most of us have to wait 10-20 yrs just to have one tag.

I haven't seen it but I read some other posts & it sounds like a lot of people feel that way about the video. I'm gonna watch it & then offer an opinion soon here cause my brother just purchased it.

That's exactly why I didn't buy any of their DVD's this year. I'm tired off seeing the same rich guys shooting monster animals year after year. Let's mix it up a little eh?

I agree, but its not just mossback. Something comes to mind of another REALLY popular video just recently of a rich guy shooting bulls on a colorado ranch year after year. I agree, its fun to watch but I like some different shots. I know its hard to be picky when even getting all the shots on film is way hard.

Im not for what Mossback does. Im into DIY fair chase hunting. Yes you can say Mossback does is fair chase but 10 spotters and 50,000 dollars isn't what I call a fair chase trophy hunt. I personally can't stand Ron Skoronski the guy is just a rich old man who pays big bucks to pull the trigger. He doesn't put in the time scouting and finding these bulls, all he does is fly in from Michagian or where ever he lives, has the guides drag him up the mountain, and pull the trigger. I tip my hat to those who put in and draw the tag after 15 or so years and put in the hard work and kill a good bull. Not those who show up pay the money and pull the trigger. I don't see that as hunting and never will. Another thing I disagree with is hunting isn't about what the animal scores. I feel that has become a bad thing in hunting and people can't just look at a bull and say "wow thats a beatiful animal" no its "ah he's weak on the left side he'll only go 370" I feel a trophy elk shouldn't be judged on the score but by the beauty and the effort it took to take such an animal.

A big + 1 on what Coloradoboy said!!!! Another thing, I used to buy all of the hunting vids but stopped because I'm tired of big money taking over hunting. I relly liked vids by David Long and a couple of other people before gang hunting, pull the trigger hunters and BIG MONEY HUNTING came along. fatrooster.

the last good one i saw was WHEN THE SMOKE CLEARS.
it was early 90's good hunting, good shots.

the ones now are nature shows with huge animals, rude guides and fat, rich, LAZY trophy hunters who care nothing for the animals other than another head on a wall.

I really don't like the money factor of hunting. I think it has turned hunting into to much of a commercial operation anymore. I love the stories my dad tells me of back in the day when hunting was alot simplier and outfitters didn't rule over all the private land and land owners would give you permission to hunt on their land. Nows its all about making the money and the sport is going in the wrong direction. Im only 16 and I can see this already. I do hope that later down the road that my son or daughter will have the ability to enjoy what I do.

i agree worst dvd i have seen in a long time save your money boys i used mine to keep the birds off my lawn.( trying to justify spending 20.00 on it) hell that would have been 2 gallons of gas towards a scouting trip for my bull tag!!

I'm going to disagree. I have never met Doyle Moss nor do I know any of his guides, or if they are as big of jerks as some people say they are. But to say there isnt any good footage on the video...come on now. Also, dont dis on the elderly. I hope to hunt when I am old and feeble, with a dang cane if needs be!How many of you have tried to capture quality video during a hunt? It is TOUGH.
To me, many of you sound like pouty little kids that dont get your way and then are mad at those who do. If I had the coin, I would be booking high dollar hunts too. I think it would still take some pretty big stones to just be able to draw back on a beasty bull like Jimmy Ryan did and connect. I'm afraid I would have messed my pants! As for Moss, like him or not, he is a premiere guide and produces like no other. If you dont know him, I would say hold judgment and not believe every jeolousy driven story out there about him.

I purchased the dvd off this site and I was disappointed. This was my first mossback dvd. I'm not here to bash it, but I was not a fan. Anyone who says it was a great vid probably works for Mossback or has a financial interest in it.

RockyMtnOyster

I guess I am the -odd man out- on this thread...I enjoy Mossback elk dvd's and have everyone of them from back in the day of vcr tapes.

I think it is just a format of the huge bulls they get year in and year out and it is how they do things.

I think all the hunting dvd's out there are as much an advertisement as entertainment.....

I ever draw the old Baca Ranch tag and I know I am going to call Mr. Moss just to see if he would trim a little of the top-$$- for a reunion type hunt down there!! ha

Robb

Personally I'd rather watching guys who are DIY'ers on camera doing there own scouting and putting in the hard work to take a trophy class animal. Not some rich guy from back east come out pay a ton of money and pull the trigger on a bull that someone else has put in the scouting time and found. Yes Doyle Moss makes big money and kills some monsters, but I would like to see someone who has put in for the tag over many years and worked their ass take those animals..... my two cents

I have the money to do the rich thing if I wanted.... but to me there is no sport in paying to have a bull found by a bunch of guys and then pulling the trigger to brag about it. I like the DIY hunts and always will...

I'd rather watch a "Do it Yourselfer" kill a forky than watch someone pull the trigger on a hog that the guide did all the work in finding and scouting and camping on it. "DIY" RULES!!!!
fatrooster.

All I am saying is be careful going around pre-judging everyone. For all we know maybe some of these guys that get guided are also accomplished at DIY hunts also...could that be possible??

I'm sure your right bingo. But wether they are accomplished or not I still can't help the fact that I really get off on watching "Do it Yourselfers" over "Guided Hunters" any day. I must admit that when I pick up a Muley Crazy magazine I specifically search out the "Do it Yourself" hunt stories and read the "Guided Hunt" stories only after there are no more DIY stories left to read. I have read some down and dirty get it done physical guided hunt stories which I really respect the work it took to get that trophy but on the whole the guided hunts are just clients pulling a trigger. I'm not saying that bustin' your a$$ is the only way to hunt, I'm just saying that it makes a better story and a story that I'd rather read. fatrooster.

Only have one thing to say about these high dollar guided things. Even if I had the cash to burn it really wouldn't occur to me to buy a hunt. You ask why? Well, because I would never hunt with people I didn't know. I'd rather hunt alone than with a bunch of dudes that are only in it for the money. I have one more issue that I've posted before ? I don't like or respect bounty hunters.

RUS

Here is a question for you guys..

Which hunts are high bid tags? Which hunts are draw hunters who hired a guide?

ALso, its a well known fact that drawing an elk tag in Utah is potentialy a once in a lifetime.. why slam someone who uses a guide?

I understand the DIY... but good grief this went from a video oppinion to bashing other hunters.

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

right on. why pay to hunt with strangers, i like to hunt alone and with close friends and family.

if i had the cash, i still would do it myself, and video the thing like survivorman.

there are some instances that a guide is the way to do it, when i go to New Zealand, i will have a guide. when i go to africa i will have several. when i get my axis buck i will most likely have a guide.

but for me it is DIY in the western states for ALL big game.

like said earlier i video of average joe scouting and taking a forkie with him doing all the work after would impress me more than joe millionaire showing up to a group of guides who have been on a bull for 5 days, pulling the trigger getting a picture and back on a plane before the meat is cold.

to me the hunt is the scouting, the shot, and then the WORK.

show me this and i will watch your HUNTING dvd.

not bashing other hunters,

just an opinion of HUNTING dvds.
very few show any hunting at all.

pulling the trigger is NOT hunting.

I bought my first, and last, mossback movie a few years ago. After watching about half of it, I threw up in my mouth, and chucked that dvd. Apparently lots of people like this tripe, but it's not for me. Moss has certainly proven himself to be a successful businessman - props to him in that regard - but I fear that he and others of his kind are leading our sport down a dangerous road. I now refuse to buy or watch anything with "mossback" written on it.

Sounds like a bunch of jealous fellers here. No I don't work for Doyle and never have, but to say the video is not worth seeing is being totally un-honest with yourselves. The bulls on there are incredible. No, I don't have the cash to buy a tag, and don't see the day when I do. I have however seen what some people fortunate enough to have the money have done for Utah. Look at what the money goes for! You, me, my kids, wife, friends and others more habitat, more animals and better hunting. I've guided a gentleman on the Bookcliffs the last three years and yes he bought every tag. He has spent over fifty thousand dollars buying three tags. The DWR unfortunately has to budget themselves from hunters. Now one hunter comes up with 50 grand. How many more tags would be needed given on the Books to equal the 50 grand. Look at the elk he has saved.

If you want a great dvd with good quality hunting, watch the extreme bulls series with dave chappell and jay scott. Now those guys are good!

Well at $280 for a resident tag and $795 for a non-resident and knowing approx 10% of the tags are non residents lets round the number off to $300 average tag. $50,000 divided by $300= over 166 tags. Looks like money well spent. I'm for quality over quantity and 163 less tags for the same revenue, I'm sold.

As blue collar guy and a life long hunter if I draw a Utah elk tag this year I will get a guide. Most friends need to stay home and work as they have familys to feed, and I have no reliable family to help.Don't feel sorry for me. I have hunted DIY in most Western States for nearly 20 years. In 04 I nearly ended my hunting career in the Frank Church Wilderness sheep hunting, and that is a mistake I will not repeat. I have killed more than my share of great animals. I'm not a fat cat, I am a public employee in Oregon.Call it jealousy or resentment I don't care for the profession dudes/trigger men either. IMHO JB

UTAH elk tags are about once in a life time tags. I am very lucky to have 2 tags in a 3 year period. I drew an expo elk tag for the exact same tag I had a few years back. Now I know its twice in a life time tag.

The first hunt was all friends and a ton of fun. Yes, I ran into Moss's guides out there. Yes they were not easy to get along with. After all, I was hunting the same GOLD as they were.

This hunt will be the same. Family and Friends. The first tag was tag soup. This time I hope and pray different results.

For Doyle Moss, I would almost give my left *** to do what he does and have the money he has. I stongly disagree with the Big $$$$ tags, but he does a damn good job at it.

I do love to see the big bucks and bulls, try some of R&K hunting videos. It is the average guy with an average guide. My good friend has guided in montana on a few of thier hunts and films them. He does a great job. Check them out!!!

I could care less if I had the money to do this type of thing, pay big bucks to shoot a bull, show up and all the work is done for you, pull the trigger. Its a joke, then to hear these people brag about the elk they shot, give me a frickin break, you didnt crap, but buy it. I have way more respect for the guy who packs in and shoots a raghorn bull, at least he did it on his OWN, thats hunting. These people make me sick, dont feed me all the crap about how they paid the money and it went for a good cause, or the jealousy card is a good one on here, blah blah.

You guys crack me up. Just because you repeat the BS does NOT make it any less BS. The Mossback videos put several hunts into a limited time frame, so they only show SOME of the highlights. It does NOT mean they hunter "just showed up and pulled the trigger, then got back on the plane before the meat was cool". That sounds good and no doubt makes you guys feel better about your own hunting abilities. But, it is rarely, if ever, the case. In EVERY hunt that I have guided for Mossback the hunts went for 8+ days. I don't consider that just showing up and pulling the trigger. Most of the hunters I have guided are better hunters than the 'average' hunter, but they have limited time for scouting, so because they have the resources to hire the BEST guide service out there they do. If you have the time to scout and have family/friends to help out, good for you. I still don't get why having 20 family/friends out scouting and helping on the hunt is more 'honorable' than hiring a 'stranger' to help out. I love hunting with people I don't know, there is no better way that I know of to make new life long friends. Why people seem hell bent to tear others down is beyond me, if you think you are able to DIY, then DIY and leave the family/friends home. Otherwise you are being hypocrites. I will be hunting a LE archery hunt for myself this year, and I'll have some good friends sharing the 'moment' with me. I do NOT consider that DIY. I have done DIY and would rather have help in the sharing the awesome memories made while hunting. Again, if you feel good bashing on how others hunt and you think that somehow makes you 'real' hunters, go for it. Just realize it makes you look petty and childish.

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

Ditto pro! I think most of these guys define a DIY hunt as not paying your helpers. So If you bring along a friend to spot and help pack is this a DIY hunt? Who cares? Why is this SUCH A BIG DEAL to the average Joe? I would rather hunt against a guide service that respects and understands what they are doing than compete with Joe and his 4 uncles and 10 cousins who think they are all that. These are the guys that usually screw it up and blow the animals out of the area. I will never go on a hunt by myself. If this makes me less of a hunter in your eyes than so be it. I hunt for me and want to have somebody with me to share it with and reminisce for years to come.

If you love seeing big bulls then buy this video. If you like seeing one guy do it all by himself then I don't think this video is for you. In fact I don't know of any video that is for you. I love to see DIY guys take a good bull but not have any video and tell everybody to buy Mossback so they can see their bull live on the hoof in the velvet.LOL

I thought the video was pretty good.
I think 95% of you so called DIY self hunters are lazy and couldn't hunt their way out of a paper sack. Your idea of doing it your self is driving around in your truck looking for a place to unload your quad so you can drive around some more. Then when you don't produce you feel like you need to be little people to make your self look better.
I would like to see more DIY good ol boys killing these giant bulls also. Get off your arse and do it. :)
Diesldog, Nobody was bragging about wounding a bull and leaving it to die you puke. Fact is that sh!t happens and you have no idea how much time was spent looking for the bull after it was wounded. I can say very few of your high and mighty DIY'ers would have spent a quarter of that time looking for the bull. They would have left it and went off to kill another. Ron had a premium permit and could have killed another bull he chose not to. We can all thank him for that. I don't care that you did not like the video but you can shut your pie hole when your running it about things you have no knowledge of. (which is probably a lot) Since I am trying to be nice and get along with everyone I won't call you a #####. Have a nice day :)

---------------------------------------
"I needed a cheesy signature saying like everyone else"

I would love to have a great bull on tape with a bow DIY. But then I guess it wouldn't have good video right before and after the shot. I won't be able to take a picture with my animal because my still camera doesn't have a delayed shutter. Utah archery hunts start in the middle of the summer so if I 'pack in' I can't possibly take good care of the meat. Anybody who has packed elk on their back any distance in rough country and wouldn't hunt without that 'opportunity' in August doesn't have their priorities right. I live over 400 miles from the tag I hope to draw. I get paid by the hour and want to save what little vacation I have for the actual hunt so I won't get to scout much, if at all, for myself. So I guess I won't be a 'true' hunter. If I draw the tag I'll consider a guide who knows the mountain to tell me a good spot to maybe hang a tree stand, take some pictures, help pack the animal out, etc.
That being said, what will really @#$@#$ me off is if somebody's scout/helper/guide intentionally messes up my hunt because I'm after 'their' elk. I've heard horror stories about that and any outfitter involved should lose their license. Big Dollars gives no additional rights on public land.

> That being said,
>what will really @#$@#$ me
>off is if somebody's scout/helper/guide
>intentionally messes up my hunt
>because I'm after 'their' elk.
>I've heard horror stories about
>that and any outfitter involved
>should lose their license. Big
>Dollars gives no additional rights
>on public land.

Realize that nobody has yet to provide PROOF of this happening. I have no tolerance of such actions, but I believe this is more likely to occur from the hunter who has waited 15-20 years to draw the tag than a 'rich' hunter and his guide(s), who knows he can get another tag next year. Look at it this way, who is more likely to rob a bank, the millionaire or the poor guy?

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

PROOF.... That's the problem. How do you 'prove' to the satisfaction of a court. I have a friend who hunted the San Juan last year and witnessed personally some less than ethical behavior. Lots of employers in lots of businesses don't condone behavior but also look the other way because it gets the job done and their organization benefits. Just because something can't be 'proven' and isn't illegal doesn't mean it's right or doesn't happen. Too many stories to just be sour grapes, especially when it is personal experience from a trusted friend.

I dont post much but here is my two cents on diy utah elk hunting. First off you spent an average of 15 years putting in for a tag at 10 a year thats $150 if your a resident then there is another three hundred by the time your factor in the gas to scout the equipment needed and the overall time spent this animal will cost you several thousand dollars now if you were to spend this kind of money on something else would you be satified with something that was less then par? i know i wouldn if i drew a tag for an area that i was not familiar with i would be hiring a guide no questions asked. if you dont then you will probably throw several thousand dollars down the drain taking an animal that is less than what you could have taken now im gonna get the whole inch freak thing about this but if im gonna invest this amount of time and money then i expect to receive the optimum results possible if i were just looking for an experience than i would purchase an open bull tag and put the time and effort in for a nice animal but not a LE or once in a lifetime tag just my thoughts

Tough situation either way on this one. I work for a big premiere guide here in Utah. I agree with both sides on this one. The reality of the situation is that hunting costs money and it will only get worse in my opinion. So if you have money to spend on hunting you most likely spend on someone who is going to get you the best for your money. If you don't have money you will competing with those that do. I kinda look at it as part of hunting and part of the challenge. It only would satisfy me more to kill the biggest animal on the hill from under those who have many people after that animal and on the other end, it would satisfy me or my client to harvest the animal I had spent many hours and time to find. Bottom line is it exist so make the best of it for those involved and never, never treat people with disrespect on the hill. This is what causes the controversy. If we learned to be equals on the mountain hunting will be around for a long time to come.

One of the main reasons for putting in for a LE tag is to have a quality hunt. To not have to deal with a bunch of people competing for the same animal. To not have to race to get there first or take chances because he'll probably be gone tomorrow. It's also the reason I archery hunt. Even on public ground on a general hunt if I know someone is going after an animal I'll stay out of the way. Even if I've scouted him all summer. The competition is my wits against the animal not against the other people. I've also guided elk hunts since '94'. Fortunately it has been on a big CWMU where the guides all respect each other's hunts. You don't even go into the same area where someone else is hunting. I wouldn't do it otherwise. I hope if I draw the tag I can enjoy the hunt I've been waiting 15 years for even if I won't have 8 or 10 spotters and vehicles racing around the mountain.

Someone please pass the popcorn!! Add extra butter also!
Mossback is a premier guide but can he play a good round of golf?

im still trying to figure out who the crap bought their tag? I was pretty sure most of the hunts on there were draw tags? Not that it matters...

I think most of you should watch the first portion of Muley Heaven. If anyone here has seen it, you know EXACTLY what im talking about.

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

Pouts, I've never seen or purchased any of MB videos, probally never will. But the one hunt I did see of Mosspack that was aired on TV. There were several Little Doyals running around the mountain looking for bulls and then when a 390 bull was found Doyal then called the shooter who was in Indiana and he flew out the next day and shot it. That's exactly how it went down. Maybe you're not involved in any of that type of crap but Mosspack certainly is. I'am feeling really nice today so I won't call you all a bunch of @#!$%$##@!@##@&**^%.

Peakfreak, I guess you havn't seen any of David Longs vidoes. I will buy his books and videos. There's a guy you can respect.

I think that one thing that gets over looked in these situations is these guides are hunters too even though they don't personally get to shoot the animals, this is opportunity for them to hunt the animals they don't have the funds to do on a yearly basis. And I know they get paid for it but for most of them it doesn't even pay for the wear and tear on their trucks.

If the Mossback guys were killing run of the mill 300-340 bulls like the other guides in the state nobody would give a chit less about him and all of the "Mossback whiners" on here would have still never seen a 400" bull on the hoof.
I liked Peaks analogy of most DIY hunters. "People who don't pay their guides"

Hey, I am living proof of an outfitter chasing me off an area that had a few dang good bulls. It was Mike Eastman from Doyle Moss. He tried his best to get me out of the area. He told me there were no bulls over 320 in the area. He told me AND I QUOTE, "There is plenty of GOLD on this mountain, go find your own area to find GOLD."

After he realized that I was not leaving, he wa actually a nice guy.

I hope that is proof enough for you.

shotgun1, funny little fellar you are. Are you familiar with the sportsman tag holder for deer in 2007? He received a phone call from a family friend, the friend and at least 2 others located a monster buck on the Henry LE unit. He quickly drove down and shot the buck. How is that any different than the scenario you posted? Answer, there is NONE! I can give examples of "Joe Public' doing the very things you complain Mossback is doing, in fact I could likely give two examples for every one you could foster up. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, this is nothing more than childish whining by wannabe hunters trying to feel better with their lack of trophys on the wall. Most of the hunters I guide are way above average hunters, while I feel safe in saying MOST of those doing the complaining only wish they were above average hunters. It is akin to saying all rich people have acquired their wealth through dishonest means, as if that justifies them sitting on their collective butts watching American Idol while the rich guy is making money. I make no apologies for what I do on the mountain, and I feel good about how I treat fellow hunters in the field. I can honestly say I have no skeletons in my closet regarding ethics on the mountain. I'll sleep well tonight knowing I have treated EVERY hunter I have met on the mountain as good as I would ever like to be treated by other hunters. Have a good day.

PRO

I laugh at all the guys who hate on the other hunters with $$$$. You know they would be calling Doyle if they won the lottery. I know I sure as hell would. Maybe after I had a few 400+ bulls under my belt, then I would go DIY for the challenge.....

I know dang good and well if I had the Money, I would be calling a guide for my elk hunt this year. But I don't have the money. Like I mentioned befor, I would give my left nut to guide, film, and kill the quality of Bulls that Moss kills. I don't agree with some of the things that some of the guides have done. But reallity is, is that this is there job and they chose that job for a living. I would love to do that, but I can't. My wife wants to kill me every time I mention hunting (probably because its every day).

I wish we all could get along. I think that we need a group hug. Anybody in???

Tony257 is right!

>Pouts, Where in my post am
>I complaining or whinning about
>anything? I'am not complaining
>about $hit. You said
>that, that type of hunting
>" rarely if ever happens"
>with Mossback and all I
>did was point out where
>I saw it happen. Typical
>of you, you get backed
>into a corner so you
>start to calling people names.
>Talk about childish.

First, pay attention to whom I was addressing my post, it was "shotgun1" not "shotgunjim". So, unless you are the same guy, don't WORRY ABOUT IT!

Second, how do you figure I am "backed into a corner"? What names did I call you/others exactly? Describing how you act is different than calling names, unlike YOU calling me "pouts". Talk about being a hypocrit. Funny stuff right there.

PRO

>Hey, I am living proof of
>an outfitter chasing me off
>an area that had a
>few dang good bulls.
>It was Mike Eastman from
>Doyle Moss. He tried
>his best to get me
>out of the area.
>He told me there were
>no bulls over 320 in
>the area. He told
>me AND I QUOTE, "There
>is plenty of GOLD on
>this mountain, go find your
>own area to find GOLD."
>
>
>After he realized that I was
>not leaving, he wa actually
>a nice guy.
>
>I hope that is proof enough
>for you.

That is the best you can come up with. Mike is a pretty scary dude.LOL Nicest guy out there. Sounds like every hunter I see in the hills ,but because he is with Mossback he's out of line? Did you think he would say "We are hunting two 400+ bulls and they're right over there". Give me a break. This is the kind of crap that gets passed on and ends up with somebody blocking the road and so on.

I think if we were all around a campfire we would all get along until we talk shiz about people that isn't true. When we are on our keyboard wer're ten feet tall and bulletproof for some reason. ktc might be the only one like that in real life.

If I had the money I would buy the all those tags so I could go around the west doing my own DIY hunts. I feel if youre making that kind of money you ought to be able to take the time to take time off for such hunts. Bottom line im personally a hunter not a killer I killing is a bonus to hunting, hunting is about spending time in the outdoors with friends and family and enjoying nature is what its all about harvesting an animal is just a bonus. I feel and animal that you find yourself and do your homework on is alot bigger trophy than that you paid a couple thousand for and had a guide take you up the mountian and find the elk for you.

I think commercialized hunting and media (DVD, TV, etc) is distasteful.--I don't rarely watch it and certainly won't pay for it.

I think Peak is right on. We would most likely all get along just fine around a campfire. Doyle and his guides are some of the best guys in the world to be around and hardest hunters there are anywhere. They are all welcome in my camp as are all of you.

Sorry NUNYA. peakfreak is off a bit. I may be 10' tall, but I am an old, one-legged, fat, out of shape, marshmallow. I was scared to death at the expo NUNYA was going to toss me on the floor of the Mossy booth and give me some noogies.;-)

I personally do not care for the videos. Not that they are bad, I am just not a video guy. They ones I have and have saw have some big ass bulls. No doubt about that. I used the videos for my hunts, to see bulls from my unit of choice, see the terrain, and see the elevation they were getting the bulls in. It was a great scouting tool for me and it got me started without setting foot on the unit. I got pretty excited about the tag also knowing I held a tag that could possibly produce the next world or state record.

I used to believe the Mossy horror stories myself. In 3 years I saw one Mossy guide. He was very nice and we chatted about the elk activity and he left. I have become friends with NUNYA and peakfreak. I don't think these guys care about ruining a guys hunt at all. They are like you and me and just like being out. I met pro and the jury is still out on that guy;-), but NUNYA and peakfreak are pretty good people along with antlerrick's son.

well i just watched legends of the falllast night...giant prehistiric bulls and tons of them..mossbacks "kill" shots have for the most part always sucked and this one is the same except for a few.i caught one hunt where and archery guy kills a 420 something giant bull but the "moment of truth" shot where he is at full draw he is wearing different camos than when they "really" shoot the bull.i zoomed in on the bull they were at full draw on and it was a small 6x6 staged= LAME.show it the way it happed or don't show it.also some of you posters are missing something about the front end of the dvd doyle says "fair chase hunts on 80% public land".does anyone really think denny austed and those other "repeat" clients are "drawing" premire tags every year um...no doesn't utah have land owner tags?also does anyone really think you can find matching sheds from bulls 3-4 years in a row on public land.ha ha ha thats funny i live in az and its a rodeo out there right now a guy is ultra luck if he finds a same year set.doyle must work very hard at what he does any form of hunting for a living is hard.as long as no laws are being broken i would rather see this that 100,000 illegals that don't pay taxes move to the us...but thats a whole different post.
so if you like watching prehistoric bulls on the hoof you will like this dvd it has issues..

extreme bulls from chappell hunting productions has the best elk hunting dvds that are out big real worls bulls and hunting situations.

my two bits
ajoe

correction to my last post i said "illegals move here" i meant 100,000 illegals a year "breaking and entering here"
just wanted to clairify.
ajoe

Everytime Doyle's name pops up on the site, it is a love hate relationship. The dude kills big bull and people want to use him. so what! it's not going to change in the future. I would love to guide hunters and shoot B&C animals, but i choose not to. Anyone or everyone has that option as well. Doyle is not the only guide out there. There are lots and they are good. I had a limited entry elk tag a few years back, i had 6 guys looking for bulls for me as well. it worked out good i shot a bull that scored 357 with a muzz. i laugh all the time , because my 4 year old wants it in his room above his bed, it is still in the GARAGE. I do like to see big bulls shot and there have been 400 class bulls shot with out guides and some shot with guides. The fact of the matter is there are bigger issue's out there that will hurt the hunting way of life then some low quality DVD or if you like doyle and his boys.

Well ive really liked most of the past mossback dvds. and i did like the legend of the falls dvd but it wasnt my favorite one of the bunch.
I bought one dvd a few months back that i really liked it didnt always show B&C animals but it was all average guys that drew a lucky tag or even was just a general season hunt. It was Determination dvds i have seen both 1&2 now and i really liked them the 2nd one they have the guy that drew the sportsmans elk tag in 2006. Very good dvds highly recommend checkin those ones out.

I've got a solution to the problem here.

I have not seen any of the new DVD's this year. So why don't you all send me your copy of the dvd's (from all different productions) and I will watch them all and rank them all. I will post them here for you all to see.

Browtine-

I'm not here to argue or anything else with anyone. Just question something you said earlier about you can't figure out who bought tags? How does Denny Austad, Ron Skronski, and Mel Helm hunt year after year? Those have to purchased through landowners aren't they?

snipersmilie.gif

one shot

There are 20 hunts total on the dvd, my point was most are draw hunters. The guys who wait their entire life to get a tag and want to kill the biggest animal possible. Sorry man, I just won't bash someone for using a guide... I have made ALOT of friends on this website. I have learned alot of information I wouldn't have other wise. I have hunted with some of these guys and helped them when they drew a tag.. In a sense, there is really no difference other then I didn't get paid. We shared some awesome memories, just like if I had hired a guide. I have never been afraid to help anyone I could. I just don't do it as a business. I would LOVE to guide. The guys who do it take on alot of pressure by doing so, but its an opporunity to hunt every year.

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

Oneshotonekill, they are buying conservation or landowner tags. You can buy one also if you like.

Got ya. I don't disagree with you one bit Brandon. I wish i could hunt every day of the year. I love hunting, its my passion. Some people have the money, but not the time to do the amount of scouting that it takes to kill a big bull or buck when you get the tag. Thats why guides are there. I won't ever pay money to use a guide, but i wouldn't be above going with friends or family that knew an area that i didn't. Props to Moss and his crew, they do a hell of a job, year in and year out.

snipersmilie.gif

one shot

This discussion is like any other anywhere...There are guys who don't like, and guys who do. There are guys who judge and guys who don't. Each of us has our own opinion, and some of us have more information to base our opinion on that others.
As ktc mentioned, my son guides for Doyle, so I have been somewhat involved and see things from a different perspective and have hung out with some of the guys who guide along with my son. I can honestly say that in my first hand experience, I have never seen or heard any mention of anything being done that is even remotely close to some of the rumors you see posted on here. I have become friends with some of these guides and they are just normal guys who love to hunt, and love to do what they are doing, and I am proud to call them a friend. It is not all glamour as these guys work their butts off before and during the hunts.
I also have no reservation calling Doyle a friend. I have had some dealings with him and he has been nothing but professional and has always respected me, those I have been with, as well as anyone I have seen him come in contact with. I do know for a fact that if a guy buys, or draws a permit, and wants to make it the most memorable experience by killing a big stinky bull, that Doyle and his crew are hard to beat.
I don't like the fact that the money can buy tags year after year, but we all live in the same country, and have the same opportunity to succeed and make all the money we want, and have just as much right to bid on these tags as the next guy.
Myself, I enjoy where I live and what I do and so I don't make the money some of these other guys do, but that is the trade off for living where I do and enjoying it. I enjoy just being able to hop in my truck and being able to see big bulls in any direction from my house in less than one hour.
I don't like seeing all the bashing and crap that goes on but it makes some guys feel superior to say things that make them look like they are great hunters and the rest of us are just lowly lowlifes...
Anyway, a few of my thoughts!!!!
a*r

Good post Anterrick...I'll just comment on the subject title. I haven't yet seen the Legends DVD but will buy it. For the most part I like the Mossback DVDs because of the quality bulls they show. I give props to the Mossback crew on that. Most of the MB dvds can be improved though with less elevator music, a steadier camera and more kill shots. Overall, I'd give all Mossback DVDs a 'B' to 'B+' grade.
-Raptor

Thanks raptor..
As far as the dvds, I like all hunting movies as I mainly like to watch the animals, how they react in different circumstances, I enjoy watching the shots and reactions of the animals. I don't look at them as rich guys hunting expensive animals. Sure that is usually what they are but I stay away from that. I'd like to see more of the "hunt", but I just enjoy any video where they hunt.
I have to enjoy the Mossback as my son is in some of them, but I like the animals they find too.
I guess I look at things a lot different than most guys do, but then I don't get so caught up in things that don't really matter and I can't change...

Mossback is great for show huge bulls during all seasons. I can't think of another series that shows elk behavior during so many different times of the year.
The kill shots are shakey, but when you have a guy dishing out the dollars like some of those hunters, the guides are more worried about puting the elk in the truck than putting a dvd on the shelf, and that is the way it should be.
I am too cheap to buy them. If you wait long enough a good friend will share.

Lowly lowlifes?

Come on now ar, you guys are far from that! Very good people even if you choose not to buy a governor's tag. ;-)

You don't call NUNYA friend do ya? I try not to in public anyway.;-) I guess he is alright for a small fry?;-)

Regardless of your position on moss you have to agree with Browtine. Consider it for a moment...you draw a premium elk tag in UT that you have waited 10-15 years to draw. I am not sure about most of you guys but taking the time that would be required to learn an area well and scout out that bull of a life time is not realistic for me. My job, and my wife, simply would not allow it. A guide for me would be the only way to go if I could afford it. I am as true of a DIY hunter as anyone out there but would feel a lot of regret to finally draw that once in a life time tag and then blow the opportunity that potentially having a guide could have given me. Hey, in the end you still have to put that arrow or bullet in the boiler room.

fever,

The funny part is, who cares what one does with his tag? Some like it alone, some cannot afford or want a guide, some use guides for many different reasons. No one should have to justify their use of a tag to any one. Frame it and hang it on the wall if you want. It is no one's business!

Guides provide a service. Simple as that. I do not think you have to explain yourself to anyone on here. People will always gripe to find a reason to feel better about themselves. I do not know Moss, but I have met a few of his guides and I have to admit they are pretty good people.

>The thing that bothers me the
>most about Doyle is not
>that he steals people's elk,
>but more of the fact
>that he stole my idea
>to have a mullet years
>ago. I feel I
>am entitled to some retribution
>because of this infringement....

Is your real name Billy Ray Cyrus? ;-)

PRO

>The thing that bothers me the
>most about Doyle is not
>that he steals people's elk,
>but more of the fact
>that he stole my idea
>to have a mullet years
>ago. I feel I
>am entitled to some retribution
>because of this infringement....

LOL. Nice bull$hit comment. Must be nice not being famous. I'll bet you're a real winner in life, ten feet tall, have lots of nice friends, great church calling, hot wife and a tag in your pocket each year. Did I nail it?

What about Alaskan, canadian, mexican and Wyoming hunts that require a guide BEARMAN? Should they be allowed in the books?

Yes when there is no other option. And the point on the book thing is when you pay money to any one who finds a trophy animal that is not fair chase.

bearman, who cares what the tag cost's, why shouldn't b&c or p&y allow it in the books? so if i draw my non res. moose tag in idaho this year, it will cost me about 1,800 bucks. and if my buddy who lives in the area one day during the 3 month season gives me a call about a big bull and i hop in the truck,drive up and kill it, would that be fair chase? btw, i would do it in a heart beat.

>Yes when there is no other
>option. And the point on
>the book thing is when
>you pay money to any
>one who finds a trophy
>animal that is not fair
>chase.

Let me get this straight. If you 'pay' someone to help harvest a B&C bull/buck/ram it is not 'fair chase', unless you are 'forced' to use one. But, if you have 50 family/friends helping it is 'fair chase'. Is that what you are saying? Help me out here.

PRO

And isaynunya as for the 95% thing no one I hunt with even owns a four wheeler, they walk and hunt harder then many guides I have seen out there that are running around on atv's or racing around in there trucks.

No its not the price it is the methold of witch the animal is taken. When there are friends and family helping you go out and hunt as with many guide outfits but when you start paying for animals loctions that is no longer fair chase.

So, if someone(friend/family) calls me while my upcoming archery LE elk hunt is going on and tells me he saw a 400+ bull in drainage X and I buy him dinner after I put the beast down, is that 'fair chase'? If not, why/how is that ANY different than if I paid cold hard cash for the tip?

PRO

LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-08 AT 02:15PM (MST)[p]>No its not the price it
>is the methold of witch
>the animal is taken. When
>there are friends and family
>helping you go out and
>hunt as with many guide
>outfits but when you start
>paying for animals loctions that
>is no longer fair chase.
>

When you say "method of witch" does this mean you should not be able to fly your broom to locate animals?
Good gawd Bearman your posts make little or no sense.

So its ok to fly my broom to locate game?

bear,

Those guys (Mossback, et al) are going to do better than an unguided guy 9 out of 10 times. They do this for work day in and day out. If getting the biggest animal is your concern, then hire them or others. If it is a self-satisfaction thing and want to go alone, then do that. However, I do not think it is right to rip the outfitter or guides for doing their jobs. If getting a top 5 animal was my concern I would hire them. Since I had personal goals to reach by myself and a couple of buddies I did it that way. I do not feel bad or blame the guides because my animals were a bit smaller in most cases.

I think the book defines fair chase and the animals qualify. Not only does the book recognize the hunter, but the animal as well. I like B&C rules. I do not care for SCI rules. If public lands in Utah produce a 435" bull I see no reason it should not be recognized as long as it is taken legally.

You are taken this out of text I have huge animals and help others take huge animals. Doing it all in fair chase. And I hold nothing against a guide but when it comes to paying a ranch for a bull or a huge finders fee or all other metheds used this is no longer fair chase. And if you think you are the best in doing this to get an animal you are far below an average hunter. And further more he is a smart busniss man just dont go around thinking they're the best.

bearman-
Please define "Ranch".
Are you talking a "highfence" ranch...or a ranch like a CWMU?

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

OMG this should get interesting.......Bearman you are not gonna survive on here very long jumping mouth first into a "trash the guides" type post......unless you really are SOMEBODY in the hunting world, and have some great pix to prove it. Better get a spell checker too.....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom