Moving in...

BaldBeaver

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-13 AT 09:11PM (MST)[p]Well it is official. I leave Nevada this week for my move to Alamogordo, Nm. Extremely excited to say the least. I am looking forward to meeting new outdoorsman and women, and learning new country to hunt. With that being said, it is obviously too late for the draw, my question is, I notice they have late Archery Bull tags in Unit 34 depending on harvest. I was wondering if anyone knows how difficult these are to come by. I realize the hunt would be difficult, but hey that's why call it hunting right, and not just shooting. I have never personally been elk hunting, but have been applying here in Nevada for 3 years now. Looking forward to the possibility. Any information would be greatly appreciated. And if there is any hunters out there, that would like to share knowledge I would be more than willing to be a sponge. I am no rookie to hunting, have taken several nice animals in my life, my first muley was taken last year, on my first tag. Here he is. Thank you all in advance, looking forward to getting to know you all on the forum.
21892012_5x5.jpg

~Jason Peterson

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."~Jack Kerouac

It is a difficult hunt being bow only post rut requiring a 6x or bigger elk. I got lucky and got it last year its first come first serve online gotta get kinda lucky. I had a great spot over water last year that was seeing 6x's on a very regular basis. Had three different ones come in the week and day before hunt started. Then on the friday before hunt started the first snow hit hard. Not one elk returned to the water the entire hunt. Had a friend get very lucky and shoot one he saw off the road it was a 7x5. Very low success rate of 10%. But thats 10% higher than sitting in your living room watching tv.

You might consider buying a "landowner authorization" too. Buying one of these from a landowner permits you to buy a licence from Game and Fish dept. Watch the residency time requirement, you'll be a non-resident (with associated higher licence fees) for a little while.

I am in the military, so the residency will be immediate. I just know that I want to get out and hunt. If I am unable to get the tag, at least I will get out and hunt with a camera and do some scouting. Does anyone know of any wildlife organizations in the area down there that does any work, ie. water to guzzlers, habitat improvement or anything of that nature?

~Jason Peterson

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."~Jack Kerouac

Check to see what is left far as left over tags go. They had muzzleloader and bow tags for deer. They also had some javelina tags as well. Welcome to NM.

I can do that. I have tons of info on Nevada
~Jason Peterson

Jason, I don't know crap about hunting, but we're glad you are coming to our GREAT state!

Have fun and kill lots of animals!

--WELCOME!!

I don't think you could have picked a better place for a hunter in the military.

The late season archery bull tag will help you learn the area if you can get it.

Lots of good military hunts available also.

Is there a specific time you have to be ready to get the tag. I will do whatever it takes, including taking time off work. Is it only sold online?
~Jason Peterson

Last year the tags went up at the end of October. Just watch the game and fish website they will post when its going to be. Yes online sales only tags go to whoever click the link the fastest. Tags all depend on number of bulls harvested during regular hunts i believe.

Obviously it is a difficult hunt, but a great excuse to get in the woods.

You need to be logged in when the tags become available and click on the link fast. (Just sit there logged in watching the timer count down. Then you will have 15 minutes(I think) to buy it. They go fast, but if you are able to be logged in and waiting you should get one.

I am beyond excited to move to New Mexico. The outdoors experience is going to be so much nicer there. I am currently in Las Vegas, and any hunting for the most part occurs at a minimum of 4 hours away. The buck pictured was taken on Halloween last year in the Rubies. Which is about 71/2 hours away. Made for numerous long weekend scouting trips. I am looking forward to sharing stories with you all in the coming years, and hopefully making a few friends along the way. I am always willing to share information, and be of any help I can to anyone in anyway I can.

~Jason Peterson

>I am beyond excited to move
>to New Mexico. The outdoors
>experience is going to be
>so much nicer there. I
>am currently in Las Vegas,
>and any hunting for the
>most part occurs at a
>minimum of 4 hours away.
>The buck pictured was taken
>on Halloween last year in
>the Rubies. Which is about
>71/2 hours away. Made for
>numerous long weekend scouting trips.
>I am looking forward to
>sharing stories with you all
>in the coming years, and
>hopefully making a few friends
>along the way. I am
>always willing to share information,
>and be of any help
>I can to anyone in
>anyway I can.
>
>~Jason Peterson
>
>
>"No man should go through life
>without once experiencing healthy, even
>bored solitude in the
>wilderness, finding himself depending solely
>on himself and thereby learning
>his true and hidden strength."~Jack
>Kerouac

You can't imagine how many more opportunities you will have for hunting where you are moving to.
If you play your cards right you will have plenty of hunts and lots of stuff to do outdoors. If your married, hope you're wife is good with it.

I am married Paul, and thus far she has very supportive of my passion/obsession. On a side note I have read a lot of your posts, and will say thank you in advance as you have helped so many people and have already helped me by some of your previous posts.

~Jason Peterson
Mossy Oak ProStaff

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom