Muzzleloader elk hunt success!

DonMartin

Very Active Member
OK guys, quit calling, I'll go ahead and post one photo of the bull I was fortunate enough to take on my muzzleloader hunt in Unit 6A last week.

Like many of you knew, I had said even before this hunt started that this was the last bull elk tag I would apply for in AZ; win, lose, tie or draw. I'm 59 years old and I don't want to wait another 6+ years to get a quality bull tag.

I like to hunt elk, and love to eat those dry cows, so from now on, I'm just one of those "old" guys who will apply for a antlerless muzzleloader cow tag.

Now this doesn't mean I'm quitting the guide business. Nope I still hope to be able to get around and spot a few critters like this for clients in the years to come. I can still glass and know the areas pretty good.

In this case, I was fortunate to go out with a good one. I'll be more than satisfied in the future to let others enjoy the feeling that one gets after bagging an animal like this.

"The Beast" as I call him, is a 6 X 6 and for those that care about numbers, scores 378 1/8. That does NOT include the 6 3/4 inches of antler that he had grown but had broke off prior to us having that fateful "meeting."

This bull was truly the King Of The Mountain, as he had control of a herd of cows/calves that numbered at least 25. My sincere hope is that since the rut was on, he had the opportunity to share his genes with many of the cows in his harem.

In the past, I've been fortunate to go on a lot of elk hunts. It is truly an experience to hear the sounds of a bugling bull as he issues a warning to interlopers and an invitation to the cows.

While I am happy to have got him, I am also saddened that I have silenced forever his unique bugle which proclaimed his dominance over all the elk on that part of the mountain for many years.

When I get him back from the taxidermist, he will enjoy a special spot over the fireplace in my Kingman home where I can marvel at his beauty and grandeur every day, and relive this special hunting experience for a long time to come.

A special thanks to all my friends who were there and assisted with the taking, recovery and processing of "The Beast."

Long time friend Jay Chan was there initially when we spotted this bull, and Guy Rohrback was with me when it came to an end.

Others who were in our camp included Dan Reed, Eric Hawkinberry, Kenny Turner, Joe Hererro, and Jim Martinez.

Thanks to our hunters, Carroll Schubert, Brent Arndt and Steve Parent, for sharing your AZ elk adventures with us.

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

2849don_martin_unit_6a_ml_9-29-2010.jpg

Dang you did get the King of the Mountain. What a thrill, have you got that big grin off your face yet? Good job and congrats!

Nice work Don and a nice,nice bull to boot.

Gun control is a good aim and a steady rest

Don,

Very nice bull! You made great use with that quality tag. What a bull to end on.

Cade

Don:

That's a GREAT bull......especially for that unit. Big time congratulations......you deserve it!

BOHNTR )))---------->

Congrats Don on a trophy of a lifetime!! you deserve it if anybody does!! By the way thats a good pic of you next to him it makes you look rather svelt and a little younger than your 59 years!

Thanks guys for all the kind words.

I am truly proud of "The Beast" and thank the good Lord.

One of the toughest hunts I've ever been on with the day time temps around 90-95 degrees and that blasted full moon!

Being next to a big guy like him does make me look a lot smaller, doesn't it?

Got my butcher to make up some special bacon hamburger and tonight I'm gonna have my first burger from him.

Headed to New Mexico on Friday for the Oryx hunt at Rhodes Canyon on the White Sands base.

Glad I cleaned out my freezer as I hear that Oryx meat is arguably the best eating wild game out there.

Don Martin

Congrats on a stud bull! I think i saw that bull while helping my buddy with his archery tag if not then thers another one like him in there.

"The Beast" has a cut that was made by a broadhead on his left shoulder. It was a 4 inch long straight cut through the hide only.

The shot had to be either as the elk was walking straight at the archer or as he was quartering away.

There were several other big bulls (350+) seen by my other guides in the same general area.

Don

Don,

Isn't it amazing how hard we pounded that country day in and day out and that bull kept himself hid? All the scouting, all the archery hunting, all the high temps and then the morning floods and the bull never showed himself!

Congrats on a super bull, save a burger for me!

Jim

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-10 AT 11:45PM (MST)[p]Martin,

You're gonna be glad I mentioned that bacon burger to you. The problem is going to be when you run out and wish that you had made more than just 10 lbs of it!! Lets hear the "first hand report"!!

Congrats again on a smoker bull brother!!!

Dave

Dave:

Had my first bacon burger last night. AWESOME!

I'm gonna get some more of that special ground hamburger done hopefully with the Oryx next week.

Craig, I saw your archery antelope video, unreal, and heard that you got a smoker bull in Unit 10 on your archery hunt.

Contact me and let's do a newspaper story in the Miner on that adventure! I'd also like to do a TV show (Back At Camp) about those hunts. We do production on Thursdays before noon. Get me some photos and let's set up a time to do it!

What a year this has been, I heard there were a lot of giant bulls taken in Unit 10 this year on the archery hunt. Congrats to all!

Don Martin
AWO

"2010, twas the year to have a tag!"

Wow Don that a super Bull. Congrats on a bull for the wall.
TipmOver can I get the bacon hamburger recipe. Thanks

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Don,
Hearty congrats on your deserved trophy. He has those nice upcurving brow and bez tines. Sounds like a lot of effort went into the hunt. Good luck in NM.

Doug

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
The-Wave-9-15-10edited_210.jpg

Great bull Don! Now Don your not going to be like Rocky and have a come back on Elk hunting our you? LOL quest

Nope, I assure you I'm done in AZ with applying for a bull tag...probably couldn't do any better and I don't want to wait for a long time to carry a muzzleloader in the woods in pursuit of the flat headed anterless elk.

Now I'm still applying for elk in Nevada...I'm hoping my friend Bruce Hudson Silver Grand Outfitters will get a big one tied up IF and WHEN I get a tag there. I've got a ton of bonus points.

Don Martin
AWO

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-10 AT 01:12PM (MST)[p]Hey Gator,

I cant take credit for the bacon burger. Mark Fell, an awesome butcher in Kingman made some for us a few times. Its fantastic! Lots of folks like a bacon burger, right? Instead of cooking bacon to put on top of the burger, just grind it "into" the burger. Most butchers will add some pork fat anyways, why not bacon? I turned my whole archery deer from last month into it!

I dont know the ratio, but if I were to guess I would think about 1 lb. of bacon to 5 lbs. of burger. Not sure if there's anything else in it.

Thanks I will try and kill a buck in Unit 10 NM in about 25 days. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

OMG! HUUGE! Those 5ths AND 3rds are amazing...
Ok looked at him again, Fronts are huuge too.

Note to all. The butcher in Kingman who does this bacon burger is actually Mark File. His phone number is 928-530-1200.

He has always done a great job for me and in my opinion is reasonable.

Don Martin
AWO

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom