New Nikon Range Finder

Retired

Has anyone tried the new Nikon Rifel Hunter 550 or the Archery model? This range finder is equipped with the ARC tech. I have heard that they have improved. Any comments? I am an archer and they say the only difference in the Rifel Hunter and the Archery model is the effective yardage. 150 for archery and 550 for rifel.

Rifle Thank You

Just come on the market this year. I was at a Sports Shop yesterday and they said they are new and selling like hot cakes. I
One mode button and one range button. Hold the range button down and as you move from distance to distance the reading will change. No need to keep pushing the button. It also compensates for angle. Measures to the half yard.

I just bought the Nikon Archers choice rangefinder and I love it. It does everything it says in its ads. The best part is that it displays only one number, click it and shoot! So when in the heat of the hunt no need to worry about multiple confusing numbers on the display. Yes I would recommend it to any serious archer. For the archery model it goes out to 99 yards and the new technology is called I/D technology (Incline/Decline). Works like a dream.

>I just bought the Nikon Archers
>choice rangefinder and I love
>it. It does everything it
>says in its ads. The
>best part is that it
>displays only one number, click
>it and shoot! So when
>in the heat of the
>hunt no need to worry
>about multiple confusing numbers on
>the display. Yes I would
>recommend it to any serious
>archer. For the archery model
>it goes out to 99
>yards and the new technology
>is called I/D technology (Incline/Decline).
> Works like a dream.
>
Thanks Ned. Just what I wanted to hear. I believe I will be bying one soon.

I just ordered one of them myself. I like the angle compensator for bowhunting, which is what mine will be used mainly for.

Eel

I am not convinced on the technology yet... If we shoot bow two at to different speeds the holder over will be different can you calculate a speed into these things?
Jason
www.chasingtherut.com

Speed doesnt have anything to do with it. These range finders give you the true straight line distance to your target. It doesnt tell you how high to hold but what the straight line distance is to your target. Then you use that pin that you have sighted in.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-08 AT 01:55PM (MST)[p]I am not trying to be argumentative but all rangefinders give you a straight line distance... Speed (ie trajectory) has every thing to do with the amount of hold over and the effects of inclines/declines... If I am shooting a 200 fps bow the effects of gravity are going to be much less than a 350 fps bow...

If this RF gives you straight line distance you will still need something to measure the angle to your target and a cut sheet.

If you remember the Leupold RF they have a way(i think) of programming in your arrow speeds and it uses that to calculate the amount of drop..

J
www.chasingtherut.com

I bought one very recently and of course had to go out and test it to see if it was accurate at steep angles. I shot uphill and downhill at distances that I would have never thought were in range. But according to the rangefinder they were. The thing works perfect for me. It reads with a .2 yard accuracy in the angle mode and I just hold right on the target with the right pin and the arrows are in there. Never tried the Leupold or the Bushnell but this is the best thing since sliced bread.

Nikon Laser 550 Prostaff (Riflehunter) Brown (With Incline/Decline Technology) New for 2008 NKN8367
$279.95

Nikon Laser 550 Prostaff (Riflehunter) Max-1 Camo (With Incline/Decline Technology) New for 2008 NKN8368
$299.95

I hunt both archery and rifle and am concerned that the Archers Choice model only goes up to 100 yards. I know that there are other range finders that have the incline/decline compensation built in that go well above 100 yards. Why would I get the Archers choice?

Just a quick follow up... I was wrong.. this was bugging me so I called the Nikon people and they explained it to me.... I was overthinking it.. BIG TIME....

Jason

>I hunt both archery and rifle
>and am concerned that the
>Archers Choice model only goes
>up to 100 yards.
>I know that there are
>other range finders that have
>the incline/decline compensation built in
>that go well above 100
>yards. Why would I
>get the Archers choice?

Don't! Get the Riflehunter 550. I got this one because I hunt both bow and muzzleloader and needed the extra distance ability.

But as far as I can tell, the Riflehunter 550 doesn't have the incline/decline compensation built in. Is that true?

yes it does. it says right on the box it has ID (incline/decline) technology. Says it right on the rangefinder too.

Hey Guys...
We have a podcast with the Nikon Rep...
Check www.#####.com

If it is filtered... it is www. bow cast .com all one word.... I hope I don't get into trouble but I just wanted you guys to get the info...

J

LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-08 AT 07:14AM (MST)[p]Just picked up the brown RifleHunter 550 model on bowhuntersuperstore.com for $235 (Archer's Choice Model - $229 and they had a promo on the shipping too.

Too me, it makes more sense to have the extra yardage with the RifleHunter 550 for approximately the same price as the Archer's Choice. Plus, the RifleHunter 550 has Target Priority Mode which allows it to choose either the closest item in view to range, or the farthest. This is not available on the Archer's Choice.

Seems to work pretty good and pretty accurate and I love the I/D Technology. I did a post on this earlier, I guess Nikon has actually had this technology since 1985 (Info is in the Optics Forum).

~ERock1313

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom