NORTHERN UTAH GENERAL HUNT 06

P

pperry1963

AFTER STRICKING OUT IN CALIFORNIA, ARIZONA,WYOMING,AND COLORADO I HAVE PURCHASED A GENERAL HUNT (NORTHERN)UTAH FOR 2006.I DONT HAVE MUCH TIME TO SCOUT THIS NORTHERN UTAH AREA THAT I HAVE NEVER HUNTED.ANY INFO ON WERE TO START FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE HUNTED THIS AREA OR LIVE IN UTAH WOULD BE GREAT.THE HUNT IS OCT 21 TO OCT 29.ARE THE DEER IN THE DEER IN THE CRAWFORD MOUNTAINS AT THIS TIME OF YEAR OR UP HIGHER IN THE UINTA MOUNTAINS AT THIS TIME OF YEAR. THANX PAUL

PM bobcatbess. He is the man you want to talk to.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

Crawford mountains are limited entry so you are out of luck there. app period was back in January...

So of your 2 choices your stuck with the Uintas... and how high will depend on the snow fall between now and then.

The northern region is pretty big, where are you coming from? A little info about your hunt preferences would be helpful... desert? mountain? timber? sage?

The Uintas would be about as good as anywhere else.

Nate

44fe26dd57560e0e.jpg

I'M ON THE SOUTH SLOPE!!!

YOUR TAG IS FOR THE NORTH SLOPE!!!

PLENTY OF PLACES TO HUNT!!!

NOT A TROPHY AREA BUT A FEW NICE BUCKS TAKEN EVERY YEAR!!!

I'M PASSING THE BUCK TO Prism!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WITH THE TRUE MEANING OF PISSCUTTER:SUB TROPHY QUALITY OF THE SPECIES,IF YOU USE THE WORD PISSCUTTER YOU'D BETTER KNOW WHAT IT MEANS OR EVERY M.M. MEMBER & EVERY PERSON ON THE WWW WILL BE LAUGHING THEIR ASSES OFF AT YOU,ALL YOU DOE-SHOOTERS CAN KISS MY TAIL ALSO,YOU MUST BE A GREAT WHITE HUNTER WHEN YOU BRAGG YOU SHOOT DOES,HOW DOES IT MAKE YOU FEEL WHEN YOU KILL 2 OR 3 DEER WITH ONE SHOT,FRICKEN FAWN KILLERS,THAT AIN'T A HUNT THATS A SHOOT!!!

IN THE UTAH PROCLAMATION IN GERERAL HUNTING THERE IS AN EXCEPTIONFOR THE CRAWFORD MOUNTAINS.DID I READ THAT WRONG.I PERFER TO HUNT SAGE AND MOUNTAINS

You CAN hunt the Crawfords on the general deer hunt. If your going to hunt it let me know and I can hook you up.

elk_img_01.gif

muzz if there is a place to camp close it looks like thats were im going to hunt. how can u hook me up on some info thanx

I would twice about going to the Crawfords for the general deer hunt. Most of the deer that winter on the Crawfords that everyone hears about come from Wyoming. Usually the latter part of November or December. Last year on the opening of the rifle. Two shots were heard all morning long. There just isn't a lot of deer that are in there year round, you might find a regular good old Utah two point, maybe a three. hahaha Good luck

You can email me but nontypical is right, there isnt alot of deer that are there until the weather hits. [email protected] is my email address. If your hunting for a whopper I am pretty sure you wont get him there. Not to discurage you but there is better places in northern Ut that you can have a better chance at a better buck.

elk_img_01.gif

Northern region tag-don't waste your time on the Crawfords unless you just like to hunt in the wind and sagebrush-it's all winter range.

Just want a buck, hunt the northern side of I80 in Parleys canyon. Gonna be lots and lots of people but you'll see a few bucks. Stay in Salt lake or Park City, eat lots/drink lots and be a tourist too.

Want a chance at a big buck hunt up at the top of Logan Canyon, Franklin Basin area and hug the Idaho border as much as you can. Gonna be lots of people a few bucks, but a chance you may see a big one.

Might get lucky......

Or, hunt the Raft River range near the Idaho border. Still gonna be lots of people, but some decent deer.

My advice-eat your tag and buy an Idaho general season tag or a leftover tag in Colorado;)!

There's plenty of country to hunt in the norther region the only problem is that the best hunting is on private and the public lands get hammered! The Cache could be one of the best areas in the state for MONSTER bucks if the DWR would quit whoring it out!

Either way enjoy your hunt!

"Watch the season unfold!"
www.neverenoughbiggame.com

I live next to the Crawfords and am up there a lot. There are
very few deer during the general seasons. Of course, the LE hunt is good. However, these are mostly migrating deer from others parts; specifically Wyoming.

Another problem with the Crawfords is all the roads. With all the mining done in years past you can drive all over the mountain.

If you are still commited to hunting here I will be happy to suggest a few areas. But again, there are better.

Just PM me and I will help you as much as I can.

Unless or boy 'muzz' wants to send you some photo's or post them on here...of his harvest on the Crawfords during the GENERAL rifle hunt dates..... I wouldn't put to much effort into that eastern part of the northern region...

Ya want a good hunt with very 'thin' crowds... horse hunters riding along....no stinking quads allowed....

Go to the Wellsville mnts./Wellsville Wilderness... Honeville over to Wellsville Utah.... on your mapping software...Trail access on the northern end of the Wellsville mnts. The southern end, Sardine Canyon gets alot of traffic...

Bivy out for a night or two and you will most probably rejoice in your effort...

Robb

Im done trying to help here.
I dont hunt general I hunt muzzleload. My buddy and his dad hunt the crawfords every year and have seen some decent 4x4's and 3x4's. Like I said not alot of them but they are there. If you want to hunt the Crawfords hunt on the west edge of the cliffs that u can see down the the ranches below. The deer get pushed and thats where they head is off that edge and down to the ranches. you can get in a good canyon and sit there along the edge and take one as he trys to escape. Good luck on your hunt.

elk_img_01.gif

LAST EDITED ON Sep-06-06 AT 07:59PM (MST)[p]
Deer move out of the high country in the Uintas into WY before the general rifle season. Deer move from WY into the Crawfords after the general rifle season. I did however check one forky that came through the Logan Can. checkstation last year. Those two areas might hold a few bucks that time of year, but it will be tough. If I didn't live in N. UT I would never buy a general N. UT tag, I would go to ID. There are a few good bucks in N. UT, but you will probably have to look to private land, or remote rugged roadless/wilderness areas to find them. I would also suggest skipping the opening weekend altogether, it will be way less crowded and there will still be bucks. I would also suggest glassing a lot more than you walk, and making sure you are out before sunlight and that you stay out until dark. Don't start hiking back to make it to camp before dark. These deer get tons of pressure and can be pretty wary. Good luck.
Dax

you have the best advice alredy but i will second what prism said,hunt high and hard in north cache,use your glass,there are some bigens up there,with a little luck from mother nature one may show up.. it's happend before not too long ago! the wellsvile area is also good advice #3 in the world non-typical came from that mountain!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom