Opening Day Buck

Y

Yoyak

I got lucky and was able to harvest this buck on opening day at 55 yards. It was a 5 hour emotional roller coaster of a stalk that ended with a 125lb+ pack out. I spotted him from the rocky peak (which I just realized I cropped out of the background) in the picture and watched him change beds throughout the morning until he bedded in a vulnerable spot. Then I dropped 800ft in a 1/3 mile to get within 41 yards of him where I sat for 3 hours waiting for him to get up. Even though I was by myself I was able to capture most of the hunt on video including the kill shot on a contour HD head cam.
I packed the whole deer out in one trip with most of my overnight gear, but I had to hike 2 miles back up to the top of the mountain to get my tent, sleeping bag and pad. Thankfully thats only 7 pounds of gear because my legs were pretty much spent. I got back to the truck at 11pm and back home at 3am. The taxidermist was leaving town so I had to meet him first thing in the morning to get the buck in the freezer...so I never got a chance to score him. I'm confident he's in the 170's and the taxidermist thought he would hit 180". Honestly I could care less what he scored I was just happy/lucky to get him, but everyone always asks what the score is. As soon as I get a chance to score him I'll post it up.
Happy hunting everyone.

Jason

DSC00384-1.jpg

8-30-2011.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pure-Elevation-Productions/128506157217196

what a hunt!!! i didnt know you went in solo!!! my friend and i had a hell of a hunt our selves and wish it ended like yours! you videoed the hunt with a head cam? hell yeah! i videoed my friends hunt through the spotter from a distance. glad you got your buck! he will look good on the wall!

Congrats Jason -

You did real good my man. Excellent Job on a great buck and some nice photos. Looks like he was a day or 2 from losing all that fuzz.

TRH

I bought a contourhd for that exact purpose but didn't get a chance to stalk a buck this year (yet). Where are you going to put the footage? I would love to see it.

Thanks for the comments guys
RJ-The hunt (and the contour footage) should all be on our next dvd. I'd send you to our website but its under construction right now...Nothing gets done during hunting season except hunting, so you'll wanna check out our facebook page to find out more about Pure Elevation Productions.
Basically, we are 100% Backcountry DIY Archery Hunting. Elk, Deer, Bear, and anything else we have the chance to hunt.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pure-Elevation-Productions/128506157217196

Congrat"s thats a really nice heavy horned buck and a good size body. A trophy to be proud of. Thanks for sharing the story and Pic.

))))------->

LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-11 AT 10:45AM (MST)[p]opening day. that is sweet. hey i am eleven and going hunting next year to idaho. maybe, i dont know it i am or not but is there any deer up there this year?

Congrats the biggest buck i've ever shot it scored a 139 and i worked my a$$ off. CONGRATS nice buck.

Very nice, SCORE heck that don't matter a bit, He is a awesome looking buck and in a beautiful area. It don't get much better then that.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom