Opening day on the extended unit

dryflyelk

I usually wait to hunt the extended until later in the year, but this year I'll probably be out on opening morning.

For those of you who have done this, how are the crowds? Does it jack up the deer and their habits considerably for a few days or weeks? I'm not sure what to expect as far as pressure.

There is usually a ton of pressure. I would wait and not go at all. Just wait til end of november like the rest of Utah. Good luck.

everyone goes on the opening weekend because they are all excited to get out of the house for the first time every year. but than they cant breathe and remember how hard the hike is and they all go back to watching their hunting shows and wait for the rut. there is a ton of pressure the first week and than its ok until nov. I hate how some people put in all this time to find good bucks for the opener and than all these guys that havent even shot their bows once this year head out and screw up your hunt.

its looks like the general season rifle hunt except the hunters are wearing camo instead of orange and they are on every ridge. Most of them were on the ridges one to two days before the season opens and have already educated the bucks to hunting pressure. They just cant help themselves.

I also don't think the front slows down one bit. It gets pounded for 4 months a year. Sure there are areas that don't get hit as much but unless you've hunted it you wont know where those areas are and more then likely you will go to the same hill everyone else goes.

good luck

It depends on what part of the 45 mile stretch you are going to hunt. I ran into little pressure where I took my back this last year. In some cases we had no pressure at all. Opening day you will find few hard core hunters willing to get far from a road or a ridge top. Drop down into a canyon somewhere an you will find yourself alone and surrounded by some decent bucks. I hunted all year and took a 4 point on the last day of the hunt (nov 30) for bucks.

Good luck.

It was a big bodied 2 point.

If you are late getting up there you'll find every trail head in Big Cottonwood, Mill Creek, Parleys and Emmigration have at least 10 rigs parked parked long before first light.

It's a daunting sight if you haven't sorted out where the critters crawl off to with all the pressure as that's all you'll see is other hunters.

Cheers,
Pete

Sounds like a place that you should go early and go high,let the crowds move them to you.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom