Pausaugunt Muzzy Hunt

_gloomis

So a good hunting buddy of mine drew a muzzy deer tag on the Pauns. We be heading down in two weeks for some scouting before the hunt.

Was hoping any of you MMer's could point us in the right direction. We have never been on the unit so any good information would be greatly appreciated.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-11-12 AT 09:02AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-11-12 AT 08:39?AM (MST)

Wow! I've always enjoyed this website for a lot of years and have had good responses from most people on this site when asking for help.

You Mr. Elkoholic are not one of them. For your information, we have had a difficult year that has consumed most of our time which has limited our ability to get some quality scouting in. I wasn't asking or specific locations just general suggestions.

What does it matter if someone is kind enough to provide useful information that may result in harvesting a good buck. You don't own the unit or the wildlife that call it home.

Gloomis I agree with you. It doesn't hurt to help someone out that's drawn such a good tag. PM me and I'll help you out. I've hunted down there alot.

JUST DRIVE AROUND AT NIGHT WITH A SPOT LIGHT TO FIND THE BUCKS TOTALLY LEGAL AS LONG AS NO FIRE ARM IS IN YOUR POSSESSION...
NOT A TUFF HUNT ..DEPENDS ON YOUR GOALS, UP HIGH IS BETTER THAN BELOW THE CLIFFS EARLY..Did you call the bio dude, warden for advice?

I help people on this site all the time. I just find it crazy that your hunt starts in a few weeks and you have the nerve to say you haven't even stepped foot on the unit and your looking for info. Sounds like you got a few people to chime in. I think you would of got a lot more info if you went about it different. Thats just my opinion though.:)

Fair enough. We are spending the next two weekends on the unit in preparation of the hunt. All I was trying to get was information from others that may have been on the unit recently and could provide a good starting point.

I am 6 hour away from the unit so it prevents me from spending more time on the unit.

And I respect your opinion.

Ok, Enough with the excuses :)

I don't respect his opinion, just his ability to have one. I understand the inability to make it to the area before the hunt. Some people put hunting before other obligations, some don't. Nothing wrong with asking. Nothing wrong with going in cold turkey. Nothing wrong with shooting a smaller buck. The more you scout the better the chances to get a large buck. I've seen the cool hunting dudes and scouts who won't give you the time of day. I have also seen people who are very helpful. I was in Kanab one year on the late ML hunt and we were eating the local Mexican establishment. It was clear full of guides and scouts. They wouldn't even talk to this one hunter who was eating and hunting alone and was on the unit for the first time. We asked him if he would like to join us. We helped him and to our surprise he was an extremely good hunter and later told us where we could find the biggest bucks. I mean big - - one nearly 200 class. I passed up a heavy 3 X 4 over 30" wide. Those bigger buck were not at the usual stomps. His last words were that it was between us and him.

We know the unit and we will be hunting on the rifle hunt - will PM you some starting points.

Cannonball, got your PM. Thanks for the info. I'm headed down this weekend to do some scouting. This will definately help.

_Gloomis

I love this. You simply asked for a starting point, and some azzhat decides you have crossed the line. I usually do preseason scouting, but the year my dad got cancer I didn't, I was busy. The year my twins were born I was busy. The year the economy crashed and I had to find a new job I was busy. Now I know that the alpha males would sit on unemployment, tell your wife to stuff it, and your dad to just go die so that they could let everyone know they are the king of the mountain, but the rest of us have lives, and many don't hire guides, so on the lists of things that need to be done, preseason scouting isn't always first. Not to mention, I believe the Pauns muzzloading is season is in Nov., so you would still have a couple months.

Again I think that we should have to post our age next to our name. Then we could see if the post is from someone who has lived some life, or just some ego centric kid who is the center of his own universe.

Post some pics, I hope to draw this tag someday, AND YES I will come in here and ask for a starting point.

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

Hossblur, actually the muzzy hunt starts one week from today (26 Sep). We spent last weekend down on the unit and did find a shooter buck. Now we just have to relocate him when the hunt opens.

Hit me up when you draw this tag. I will provide lessons learned during this years hunt. Oh yea, I WILL post pics when I return (assuming we have a good hunt) :D

My bad, and good luck to you!!

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

Well we had a great time hunting this awsome unit. I will confess that it was a much harder hunt than we anticipated. Hunted seven hard days and covered a lot of country.

Our home traveling through the tunnel:

1796dscn0087.jpg

Couldn't pass up the beautiful views of this unit:

7289dscn0064.jpg

9233dscn0076.jpg

7159dscn0080.jpg

We found a monster 3x4 stag and his buddy "shoe box" 4x4 on day 4. Unfortunately I didn't get him on camera but he is a Toad. Hunted these two for the next three days and only saw them one more time.

280dscn0066.jpg

Due to family obligations we had to get back after 7 days of hunting and took this buck on the afternoon of day 7. Not the buck we were hoping for but respectable. Had a great time accompanying my buddy on this hunt and hope I get the opportunity to hunt it myself.

8190mm_post.jpg

Thanks to all you MM'ers that were kind enough to provide valuable information. I hope to return the favor some day.

_gloomis

You did damn good __gloomis!!

The scenery down there is worth the tag let alone your dandy harvest.

congrats

Robb

Great pictures and a fine buck. Congrats.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

_Gloomis,

I seen you had a Pauns Muzzy tag last year and got yourself a nice buck. I drew the muzzy tag this year myself.I've hunted the archery hunt with my brother when he had the tag in 2011, so i know the area pretty well. I wanted to see if you had any ideas where to look for some good bucks? Ive never been down there on the muzzy hunt, so i was wondering if the deer are gonna be high, mid or lower elevation? Ill be going back down this weekend to scout and was just looking for some more information.

Nice buck wish I could have offered help but do not know a thing about the unit. I had no idea it was that pretty down there. Guess I will have to put my wife in for it!

PM Sent with GPS... saw a dozen bucks with a few nice trophy class bucks... Found them while Elk Hunting. May or might not be there... its been a couple weeks.

Destiny

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom