Pentax bino question

JT

Hey guys,

Last year I got some Pentax DCF WP's (for $250 after the $100 rebate -- a great deal IMHO). I've been reading some on the new Pentax DCF SP's and was wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare the WP's and the SP's.

If so, would an upgrade to the SP's be worth it? The $50 rebate on the SP's makes it tempting.

Also, has anyone looked at the DCF HR II's? It looks like they would be about the same as the WP's (except for the body/frame material). If so, they would be another great deal. Reason I ask is my brother-in-law wants to get some new binoculars, but doesn't want to spend much.

Anyway, any info/opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Later,
JT

The SP's feature "ED" glass with asherical lenses. They also have super hard lens coating to resist scratches, etc., plus they have great objective lens covers that are tethered to the body. Only you can decide if it's worth an upgrade, but I agree the rebate makes them a bit more attractive.

Go to www.betterviewdesired.com to read a review of both the SP's and the HRII's. They love the SP's, but didn't give the HRII's too glowing of a review.

Foreman,

In hindsight, I should have tried to talk all of my family and friends in to taking a serious look at the WP's when they had the $100 rebate -- that was really a great deal.

Thanks for that review on the HR II's. I really would have thought they would be better than that.

Didn't I read on another post that you are a Nikon Venturer man? I am gonna have to take a serious look at those refurb models for $450. That's a heck of a deal and with the "No Fault" warranty, you wouldn't have much to worry about. The main concern I would have is the weight -- that's what has kept me away from 10x50 size glass in the past.

Anyway, I'll keep looking and researching.

Later,
JT

JT,

I had owned a pair of 10 x 50 DCF WP for two years until they were stolen from my truck. With the insurance money I purchased the SP 12.5 x 50. The SP seen to have a greater focus and are sharper, but when looking into the sun, there seems to be somewhat of a glare that was not there with the DCF?

The extra 2.5 makes a big difference. I need to use them a few more times to get used to them. There is something about looking into the sun I do not like, but I also remember when I purchased the DCF (for about 500.00) I was uncomfortable, then I began to love them.

I cannot say at this time I would purchase them over the DCF, but I have only used them 2 times in the field. I plan to use them more this weekend, so if your Bro-in-law can wait I will give more info.

p.s. hotbuyselectronics.com was the lowest price I found for the SP (but my agent purchased them from another seller)

Redman

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-04 AT 10:06PM (MST)[p]JT, yes, I'm a big fan of the Nikon Venturer/LX's. They're the absolute best glass I've ever looked through and their ergonomics fit me perfect. I've owned several Leica's and Zeiss' over the years, and while I love the Zeiss 10x40 ClassiC's, the Leica's just don't seem to fit me. They feel like a brick in my hands. The biggest drawback to the Nikon's is their weight, but it's not unbearable with a good strap. Those refurbished Nikon's from www.Ewins.com are a great deal. I just bought a second pair for my daughter to use and I can't tell any difference between them and the pair I bought brand new a while back.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom