Plateau Antelope Tag

antlerless

Hey I dew a Plateau Antelope tag and was wondering if anyone hunted it last year? What to expect for goat size? Where to start. PLEASE POST PICS IF YOU HAVE THEM!

---------------------------------------
"you can't fix stupid"

I have never hunted up here but I promise you will see hundreds of goats. I saw some big ones there when I was up there last. Good luck.

These are Plateau lopes....

9071100_0522.jpg

3690100_0563.jpg

4791100_0509.jpg

4664100_0565.jpg

4100_0566.jpg

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Despite what Dillion said and I don't disagree with him, a few years ago there were a very large no. of antelope on Plateau. With the no. of hunts, the no. of translocations numbers are much much lower than they have been 3-5 years ago. I would guess that a 68-72" goat is still doable and bigger if you get lucky but I seriously wouldn't pass too many 13" goats if I had the tag.

Todd Black
BTO

LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-10 AT 06:09AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-10 AT 06:05?AM (MST)

Careful what you promise Dillion! I had the tag in '03. I was down there last weekend and covered a lot of ground. I can't believe the difference from when I had a tag to now. It was pretty disapointing. There is still Antelope out there, but there is no denying that they have really thinned the heard out and thats to bad.

ps. Antlerless, Find Parker Mountain on the map and pick a road! Someone giving you there honeyhole ain't going to help you out. You need to go learn the roads down there. Find the road that takes you out on the Parker west of Loa and start exploring. There is your starting point.

Parker Antelope '03
Antelope.jpg

Antelopemount.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. Kind of depressing news about numbers sounds like I'll have to do some more work then expected(not a problem). Thanks for the pictures and info, keep them coming!!! Hey one thing I have to say those are nice bucks and all those capes on the ones you killed are awesome.

---------------------------------------
"you can't fix stupid"

My father shot a 13 inch buck down there last year. He had oppurtunity on some nicer bucks missing three different ones, one at least 16 inches but couldn't seal the deal. His shooting was impacted by a concussion he was recovering from, and at 76 years old, it was the best animal and most memorable have to experience with him. Glad he is still at it. We jumped a herd at a watering hole right off one of the main roads around 4:00 PM, the 80 yard standing shot was what he needed that day.

Get to know the roads is the best advice above, you will see goats, even with the removal and high number of tags down there. We saw lots of bucks, only three nice ones. I would be patient and look in a few of the draws where you need to walk into, 2 of the 3 bigger bucks were not viewable from the road and short hikes found them.

I had the lope tag in 04 with my son and we both had no problem betting tne 14 inchers but didn't see anything bigger. Kots of goats to look at then they relocated a bunch. Did muzzy deer ther in 08 and was surprized at the low numbers but still found some good ones back up in the draws between parker and Antimony so check the flats east of parker first and down towards Loa and if you don't see what your looking for, head up into the draws south of Parker Mt and down towards antimony. Smaller numbers but I think they are hunted less as it is not "typical" goat hunting. Still a great hunt you will have fun.

hunted the archery last year. I wasn't too picky so I was shooting at everything. Only saw 1 really nice buck and he had probably 30 does with him. A lot of eyes looking at you if you try and spot and stalk.

hunted it 2 years before that on the rifle. Great unit, but i would say not a trophy unit. The best scenery around, can't beat it.

Drive the roads and glass glass and glass.

If you are archery hunting, you better get down there early, cause when I went on the archery hunt, every single water hole was already staked out with a sign and ground blind.

good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom