Pyrodex pellets not really 50gr.???

erik1972

So since I drew for colorado muzzy elk, it is time to start shooting with powder instead of the pellets. Today I went out and bought some 777 and a small digital powder reloading scale.

Just for curiosity I was measuring arrows and broadheads and stuff. Then I decided to measure my Pyrodex Pellets and see how close they were to the 50gr. as advertised.

Well, they are way off. I put one on the scale and got 37gr. then I put two on the scale and got 75.8 gr. total for two. Now, I am assuming when they say 50gr. equivelant like the box says, they mean 50gr.

What is the deal with this. I am reading this wrong. I know my scale is right because my broadheads all measured 100gr.

Is this why 80 gr. of 777 is equivelant to 2 pellets? I don't know where to begin now.

Erik

When working with Pyrodex, Triple 7, etc you work in terms of volume, as compared to black powder. Measure, don't weigh.

So lets say I find out my muzzy likes to shoot 90gr. of 777. And the actual weight measure of this is 65gr. weighed out on the scale. Can I assume that every shot I can just measure 65gr. out and use that as my load?

Erik

I've weighed loads that I've measured by volume and they are always so consistant that it's not worth the price of a scale or the extra prep time involved. Just my .02

I have had just the opposite experience. I throw a few charges by volume and get an average weight on my digital scale. I then weigh out all of my charges on a scale and my groups have shrunk considerably. Definately so with my long range groups (200 yards). Some people can throw equally packed charges one after another, I can not. I weigh mine. I can keep them good enough for 2" groups at 100 yards, but not what I am looking for.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom