quail in n.m.

257nut

i am going down to lordsburg to hunt javelina next week i have some places to try but i'm more interested in quail. i was told that almost all the quail in new mexico are there in the southwest. is this true? does anyone know of a few pockets of the little buggers down there.

I am not sure about the SW part of the state, but I know some hardcore quail hunters from the SE. They have not even bothered going out all year.

I was just down there on the stink pig bow hunt. Although we did see quail we literally saw more javelina than quail. You shouldn't have any problems finding stink pigs, but quail are going to hard to find.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-12 AT 05:46PM (MST)[p]A couple weeks ago I spent a 7 or 8 days in the desert ranges of the bootheel, and not ONE quail did I see...I thought it very strange.

Scaleys are pretty sparse but decently consistent up here in the sage country of the north though...but obviously no javelins around.

During our archery hunt in unit 31 we moved at least one covey a day as we were deer hunting. I was actually impressed with the size of the coveys along with the number of coveys. It made my country (NW Ok) look as bad as it actually is. I expected to see fewer quail than at home and saw enough that I would have hunted them if I was prepared.

Most of the hardcore quail hunters that I know here in the SW part of the state are done for the year....and not because they limited out too many times. The numbers are way down this year and they have decided to not put hunting pressure on those that are out there hoping there will be better numbers next year.

jeff

I cant agree more. The numbers, especially in S.E. New Mexico are incredibly low. It is pretty sad to see, and I know alot of people are not hunting them as well just to keep from adding to the drought devastation.

Can someone please post a picture of a quail? I'm not sure I remember what they look like? I may have seen one the other day. All I can remember is that I was astonished when I saw a living creature in SE NM. It was flying and if i think back far enough I'm pretty sure it was some sort of bird. Just not quite sure what kind.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom