Quick ID Question

2_Point

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-09 AT 10:47AM (MST)[p]I have never hunted Idaho and have a couple quick questions--

Is there a quota for Nonresidents purchasing a "General Deer Permit"?

Can I purchase a "General Season" deer permit or do I have to draw it?

If I can, am I able to hunt all General Season units with the same permit?

The way I read the regs, I can buy a General Season permit and hunt whatever general season unit which is open. I can not hunt the Controlled Hunts.

I would like to apply for a Controlled Hunt, but if I am not successful I would like to purchase a General Season tag to hunt a couple different units.

Quota...yes .. ususally sells out but didnt sell out this year.

general tag... OTC

Hunt all gen. seas with a gen. tag---- yes... there is a OTC late WT tag too that is differnt from the general tag.

no you cannot hunt controlled hunts with out applying and drawing that specific tag.

good luck. these are general answers to your questions but pick up the regs for the details.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com
Blacks-Creek Packs Dealer

As Orion said pick up the regs, but I believe as a non-resy you can NOT hunt all general seasons as a resident can. You will have to buy a general tag for a specific area. I could be wrong, but that is how it was in 2007 when I hunted with some friends that were not residents.

Fowladdict you are probly talking about the Southeastern area that was a separate "general" tag a few years back. But it is not that way anymore.
To the original post yes you can hunt any of the general zones and seasons with the same tag, they are not zone specific. And in another great management strategy by IDFG you can buy a second general tag come Sept. if they have not sold out by then (which they never do that early, and this year there are still thousands of non-res tags availible as of Dec. due to the recent price increase and poor general area hunting). Sorry I had to throw a little dig in.

I have previously hunted Idaho off and on for several years. You need to be aware that the hunting is not like it was some years ago. You might want to look at Colorado.

Unless you have money to burn you might want to wait and hope for a recovery but with he wolf situation it might be a long wait.

I love the Idaho scenery and the people. I guarantee you that you will never find a nicer bunch of people but I just don't see the deer I saw a few years ago.

If you can draw a late season hunt it will be equivilant to winning the lottery.

I hate to sound discouraging but you need to know the situation. If money isn't an issue, killing a buck isn't too important and you enjoy nice scenery and great people then head for Idaho

If you don't draw a controlled tag be sure to do your home work on the OTC tag, as for the most part the general deer seasons in Idaho really suck. There are some good areas, most of them being back country. Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom