rattling

mntman

Long Time Member
Have any of you tried "rattling" for bulls during the rut?

I have been thinking about trying this but not sure how well it works on elk.
If you do rattle, do you use antlers or that "rattle cage" or some other type of call and what is the best time to do it? I would assume pre/early rut before they get their cows while establishing dominance, cause they won't want to lose their cows later on.

Thanks

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

i have never actually rattled for bulls but when your in on a herd bull calling and racking a tree or bush with a tree branch or stick works awsome gets the bulls all fired up and wanting to fight it works great if done in the right situation

THE A TEAM

Thanks, the raking of a tree works for me too. I always try to set up next to a good raking tree to use if necessary.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Never actually tried rattlin, but I have read about people that have in Bowhunter Magazine. They take two sheds, one decent size and the othe a bit smaller, they take the smaller one and bang it on the bigger one. In my opinion in order for this to work you might want to be huntin the peak of the rut. Just like deer can come in and investigate a good fight I would see no reason why an elk wouldnt do the same. It would be just one more thing that might bring him in close. Even I like to watch a good fight now and then. Give it a try you might be suprised
Lambo

http://www.elknut.com
Vortex Optics Dealer

I've rattled a few bulls in over the years. Anytime in mid August to November can attract an elks curiosity! Early on you'll see smaller bulls even spikes sparring & pushing one another around. I rattled in a bull as late as Oct. 25, a nice 6-point with 2 cows, he came thundering in & I took at 40 yds with a 30/06. You just never know when or where you can trigger bulls. I've used in during all phases of the rut, I find it is tough to call in a herd bull, mostly satellites & cows will show first to check out the commotion.
But I do find with rattlin persistence that if a herd bull is within earshot he will eventually sound off thus giving away his location. I've had results in 10 minutes to 30-40 min of constant rattlin & stomping around with breaking branches & rustling brush along with some panting & groans. You can really paint a picture in another bulls mind by being as realistic as possible in your delivery. I've also injected very nervous & nasally cow sounds as well, all this "keeps it real"!

Raking a tree is a totally different meaning than rattlin, the two are not the same. One requires one bull for varying reasons & the other requires 2 bulls that are hooking it up. I've used a big forked horn bull rack on many occasions as well as a good sized 3-point mule deer rack I killed years ago. I've never used a rattlin bag before though. When I killed the 6-point I was using the mule deer antlers. Rattlin requires patience & for best results you should stay in one spot up to an hour even after you're done. Many times you must allow things to develop as elk slowly make it your way. Good Luck!

ElkNut1

http://www.elknut.com
Vortex Optics Dealer

Everything is good here in Idaho! Thanks! The snow just left 2 weeks ago from hunting camp so I made a trip up there & enjoyed the scenery a bit! Nothing like hunting camp at this time, it's green & awesome, makes a guy feel alive!!!! Hope all is well with you Jim!

ElkNut1

I've raked trees but never used antlers.

IMO the best technique when a bull hangs up is cutting his bugle or grunt off with a cow call. They just shut up for a few seconds, then they scream/get pissed. I think they are more prone to commit then.

Just my experence.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom