Resident 12-AW vs 12-AE

Bearclaw84

Both my hunting partner and I are Az residents and have 4 and 5 bp's. We have been putting in for 12-AE early for the past 4 years. This year we chose 12-AE late 1st choice and 12-AE early 2nd choice.My question would be, what is the biggest difference between the 12-AE and 12-AW hunts early and late? While I understand that we have a chance of being drawn this year those are pretty slim chances, I would like to know which hunt is better and why for future draws. The Strip really hasn't been one that we have put in for and don't think we will for awhile either.

Just depends what you are looking for. 12aw has more deer, but more space for them to hide a lot of roads for people to drive. Late hunts are better on both sides typically every year due the migrations of the deer. If it snows early or gets cold early all of the deer will head to the low areas of the units. I personally like the west side more due to number of deer.

John

I have hunted all the 12 units over the last20 plus years.The biggest bucks I have seen have been on the12a east side late.If it snows the east side game trail and the cockscombs are super places to find that 200 plus buck if you hunt hard!!!!Now we have taken some brutes on the 12a west late but you need to get away from the crowd,many times we may go 5 or more days with out seeing another hunter.Tough draws either way but worth it!!!!The biggest buck I have seen was on 12b and it was on a late hunt and we had 12w tags that year,maybe 31 wide but tall with a ton of trash 240 or better!

What about 12-AW early? 500 tags is this a crazy hunt? As the post says which is better, I'd like to know are big bucks being killed early rifle as compared to late dates?

Yes big bucks get killed on early hunts, but its certainly tougher up in the pines as opposed down in the low country when they are rutting.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom