Rifle Scopes ???

c3

Very Active Member
Since the late 80's when we switched to choose your weapon here in Utah, I've pretty much exclusively been bowhunting.

I have an old Bushnell 4x scope on my 270. Looking for something new to make it a little easier for Jr to use on his upcoming rifle deer hunt.

Obviously I could just go buy a $1500 scope and know it's going to be the best money can buy, but as we're more into archery hunting, I'd like to know what are some of the more cost effective options for shooting out to 300 yards or so.

Any suggestions for a more cost effective solution for the kids would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Pete

im shooting a 270 also and i have a leupold vx11 3-9x40. im a big fan of leupolds rifle scopes. i paid 280 for it off overstock. I have been hearing a ton of good reviews on vortex rifle scopes.

"Shoot Straight"

I also like Leupold scopes. If you are only shooting out to 300 yards go with the VX1 3-9. I have one of those on my 270 short mag and can hit targets at 600 yards with it. I have mine zeroed in at 200 and shooting 300 is not a problem at all.

The venerable Jack O'Connor, used to say that scope quality was the least necessary of all hunting equipment. He used Weaver 4X scopes on most of his guns and he felt like as long as a scope can hold it's zero, most any scope is fine for shots out to 300 yards.
He was also not big on high power and he especially preached that keeping a scope to 4X made it easier for inexperienced hunters to find game quickly.
So before you go shopping, you might take Junior out in the hills and see if he can bust some rocks with what you have. I did that with my son prior to his first hunt and it took him a while to get on the target and shoot. The lower powered scope helped him with that and he ended up killing a dandy antelope on a tough 250 yard shot.
Now "my Junior" is a much better hunter than the old man.
For what that is worth!

Agreed, what you have may be fine as is. Otherwise, look into the Redfields, Leupolds, and Nikons. I'm sure other brands have good mid or low range scopes that will do for your needs as well.

Scopes are illegal on Archery Equipment Pete!:D

One more thing!

Don't know who was Tampering with Trail Cams this year in your Favorite Wallow?

But you can tell them the reason your Wallow/Wallows became In-active is because after they started Tampering with Trail Cams I pissed in your Wallows!

Pete,
Take a look at the Vortex Viper scope. I have the 4-12x40 Viper with the BDC Reticle on my .270WSM and absolutely love the scope. It is very clear and a great value scope for the money. You should be able to get one in the $300 - $400 range.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cory

I am also a huge Vortex fan. I have two rifle scopes and a spotting scope. With thier warranty and price I feel that they are the best on the market at the time. I have several friends that were die hard leupold fans that after using my Vortex products are now replacing everything with Vortex. Just my 0.02 cents

Vortex.. No need to look anywhere else...

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

One thing to keep in mind is eye relief especially for the youth, I have both a vortex viper and a leupold and much prefer the leupold because of the longer eye relief.

To heck with the vortex and giving the Chinesse more of our money. A Leupold Rifleman or VX1 is an awesome scope for the dollars and IMO better than any comparably prices vortex. Check out SWFA.com for some deals.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

I love my Cabelas Guide Series scopes. I want to say that these scopes are about $300-350 but the Cabelas always seems to have sales. The scopes are made by a Japanese optics company and are entirely waterproof. I think that they are a great value.

Thanks for all the replies !!!

All the looking and talk is great, but I think I'll take littlebighorn's advice and do a little more shooting with the 4x before I do any more shopping.

I just don't feel comfortable with what I see at 200 - 300 yards with that thing. The cross hairs cover nearly the whole critter it seems :)

New toys do help with the excitement factor though. Especially if all their buddies think it's "cool".

In the end of the day where we plan to hunt opening day won't allow for any shots over 200 anyway.

Cheers,
Pete

I just put one of the new Bushnell Trophy XT DOA 600's on my Encore 300 Win Mag. Cost me about 250.00 with shipping but its been perfect and once dialed in to your round, you have excellent reference and information on top of a great zero hold! Love it! The vortex are very good too, have a red dot on my Encore Muzzy.

I just bought a Redfield...possibly a Revolution, for about $150 (I think). It is on layaway. Tis a 2x7, and I believe that it is their entry level scope.
John 14:6

I have a vortex diamondback 4-12x40 on my Tikka T3 lite stainless 7mm. I love mine, only had it for a year. I like the vortex viper, but it was out of price range. I do like the buckmaster scopes also, my dad has had a few.

After some contemplation, decided to go ahead and get an inexpensive Vortex 4-12x40 Diamondback. Turned out to be a pretty incredible tool compared to the old Bushnell 4x30. It's alot brighter and quite nice to have the 12x zoom for target shooting.

Jr and I were doing pretty well with it. Only took a few shots to get it dialed in.

My little rodent was schooling me from a standing position at 100 yards with that thing. He hit the little white, green and red target every time! I didn't. We'll leave it at that :)

Pretty stoked to go find that 170 buck we saw on the archery hunt Sat morning at first light.

Good luck every one and thanks for all the tips.

Cheers,
Pete

5805p2-rifle.jpg

1407target.jpg

5658p2-rifle2.jpg

Great choice Pete-I have really liked my Vortex scope. I hope your son smokes a big one tomorrow morning - best of luck!!

i beat the hell out of my diamondback this year 100 miles on the mountain bike on some knarly trails and 50-60 miles hiking, still shot dead on when it came down to it, only complaint would be at REALLY long ranges it gets a little blurry on 12x. but i just dial it down to 10 and its crystal clear! cant beat it for 200$ and mine came with a zeiss cleaning kit and a sweet azz vortex teeshirt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom