Sandia Youth Hunt

7830carsten_deer.jpg

15 year old Carsten with his first Mule Deer Buck. He chased muleys around, the westside of the Sandia Mountains, for six days with brother and dad before harvesting this nice buck. Seen many monster bucks over the six days but could not get in range to try for one of those bad boys. He is very grateful for this deer. His brother was not so lucky but had many exciting experiences and a couple of shots on nice bucks. Time spent with my kids in the mountains...."Priceless".

Congrats on a very nice buck!
I also have wanted to try that hunt in the Sandia's, how is it? Whereabouts on the western side did you go? Feel free to pm me if you do not wish to share on here.

Definitely a great memory and some good eatin'!

Thank you. Yes, hard work did pay off and it turned out to be a learning experience for young Carsten. I believe it made it that much better to have hunted for so long and finally be successful. The shot was 45 to 50 yards on a steep incline. Carsten was sitting in with a herd of does on the side of the mountain when this buck wandered in. I had glassed him around 5:30 am but we lost track of him but knew he was still close so we stuck to the area. Carsten went out on his own while I glassed with my younger son Jurgen and then it happened.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-14 AT 10:04PM (MST)[p]>Thank you. Yes, hard work did
>pay off and it turned
>out to be a learning
>experience for young Carsten. I
>believe it made it that
>much better to have hunted
>for so long and finally
>be successful. The shot was
>45 to 50 yards on
>a steep incline. Carsten was
>sitting in with a herd
>of does on the side
>of the mountain when this
>buck wandered in. I had
>glassed him around 5:30 am
>but we lost track of
>him but knew he was
>still close so we stuck
>to the area. Carsten went
>out on his own while
>I glassed with my younger
>son Jurgen and then it
>happened.

You glassed him up at 5:30am? You have eyes like a owl man.I'm I was up there during the hunt and it was dark at 5:30. Dark dark and im looking through swarovskis. Awesome awesome job to the young guy. Thats a tough kid. I have killed a few bucks up there and that mountain is no joke. Brutal on the boots too. In two seasons up there I blew out a pair of salmon quest boots.

You saw a few studs huh. Man I wish I knew where you were at cause I put some hours behind glass helping two young hunters and only saw 2 decent 4x4's. On was really cool looking. He had a huge scar below his left eye and his eye was totally white. Really white face too. I assume he was a older buck on his way down. I was surprised to see small 3x3's chasing does around already.

Does anyone else's blood get boiling and adrenaline pumping knowing that there is monster bucks 10 minutes away from your house?

Because I think I am about to explode lol.
I live about 5 minutes away from the mountains (tramway and Comanche). This is just super exciting, and really close haha

LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-14 AT 08:08AM (MST)[p]505 ..I get pumped dude. .then I look at the draw odds and get really bumbed ha ha ha ha.,

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-14
>AT 08:08?AM (MST)

>
>505 ..I get pumped dude. .then
>I look at the draw
>odds and get really bumbed
>ha ha ha ha.,

Yes! Exactly BUGLEnmIN! That right there is the truth haha

No eyes like a owl. Just know how to identify shapes in the dark with the binos at close range. It helped that it had silhoutted itself on the ridge. It took me a couple of minutes and my eyes adjusted and i could see the buck. A friend of mine introduced me to glassing in the dark this fall and it seems to work ok. The neighbohood lights were also lighting up the mountain a little where we were located. Thanks for the comment.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-14 AT 07:44PM (MST)[p]Sandias is cool place to hunt... I was able to draw once and that was my first buck I harvested.i hunted the southern end from copper rd.No I can't even draw that place.... Draw odds are ridicules.... Hopefully my boys will be able to draw it soon... So far 0-2 for that unit for the draw!!

The odds for the sandias abd 2b are pretty much the same,,,SUCKY!!! Ha ha I guess that's why we gotta make it count when we do draw them.I've never been able to draw the Sandias and a friend of mine has drawn it 4 or five times as his third choice...make me sick ha ha

Question for the OP. What do you consider a monster. 140"- 160"- 180"- 200"? I'm just curious what your version of a monster is.

I would consider 140-170 really nice deer,but to me 190 and up is a monster. Thats just how I see things,

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom