sheep tag self pitty

mdbrown

Long Time Member
i was thinking about how many sheep tag rejections i have had over the years , i started applying in 1976 .{it is depressing}
idaho {home state} 16
or {old home state}24
mt 6
az 6
nv 12
wy 3
nm 4
-------------------------------
total 71

i think its about time for me to beat the odds???
maybe one state fish and game will read this and feel sorry for me.

i would like to hear some other stories and legnth of time it took to draw a sheep tag for encourgement

It took Big Dan from bowsite 45 years to draw...of course he was holding out for the Breaks.

I've got a collection of no's myself but no nearly as many as you...good luck!

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

I can't remember how long I applied before I drew in 1993. But I drew my tag with no points, as that was the year points started here in Utah. I do remember it had the worst odds of any tag in the state that year. The funny thing about drawing that tag is the fact that in those years you could apply for all the permits if you wanted, but could only draw one. That year I applied for a Ciso archery antelope permit. They gave 4 and only had 7 applications. I was unlucky on that draw and was one of the three of 7 who didn't draw and then I turned around and drew my Rochy tag.

Good luck to you, somebody has to draw.

Here's the ram I took that year. It's not a big one but it was the first Rocky taken in Utah in modern days with a bow.

8171rocky-ram.jpg

Have a good one. BB

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-10 AT 01:34PM (MST)[p]Hadnt really thought about it...but quite a few, and I've never drawn a sheep tag.

AZ 9 years
WY 10 years
UT 10 years
MT 29 years (did have 2 Unlimted permits and a ewe tag on a second choice).
NV 6 years
ID 3 years
CO 6 years
NM 3 years

I guess that makes about 76 years worth, I'm confident I'll draw a few sheep tags though.

I started 10 years ago applying in multiple states for multiple species, before that, just MT.

In many years of applying for a lot of tags I've drawn 1 bull moose permit, 1 goat tag, 2 good elk tags, 2 good deer tags...other than that, a pile of easier to draw permits.

As of June 2010 I will have applied in various states for sheep tags 210 times. That is not a typo. 210. I've been keeping track. That doesn't include raffle tix. Drawn one tag...so far.

70+ tag apps in 9 states for me so far.And probably 100 or so raffle tickets...still waiting at the harbor for my sheep ship to come in.

I bit the bullet and hunted Fannins in the Yukon in '06. And I drew a premium moose tag in the Wyoming random draw in '05. So keep the faith boys, lightning can strike.

When draw odds are hundreds to thousands to one, what do you expect? I know I am over 200, maybe 300...Pretty much every state for everything for more than 20 years. I drew in ID in 1999 in a unit that was better than 1:10 draw odds at the time (before the 10% NR cap)...And look at a WY tag for sure in the next few years if nothing changes. Maybe like a 1:5 chance at a desert before I get too old/die if I keep it up...And might luck out on another tag somewhere. But have to look at any sheep hunt as a treat, not something you can expect!

HaHa--how sad for us sheep applicants!!

I have done great on Rockies--2 tags-- two different states but those Desert Ram tags are still at 0 drawn..

This is your year Larry-----and Eric is going to Wyoming!

Ya gotta Believe!

Robb

Getting close to 150 rejections here. I drew a Colorado tag in a easier to draw area 20 years ago when I was a resident. I'll get a Wyoming tag probably in the next three years. All the rest are up to the tag draw gods.

well i have to quit feeling sorry for myself , at least there is some hope that someday i might draw

Robb
thanks for the encouregement, i have often thought about how i would take the news if i did draw,im thinking i would be fainting,sceaming,crying and puking all at the same time.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-10 AT 08:55PM (MST)[p]Larry,
If you want to know how to act, I will send you a video of the one-armed jig that I performed at the UFNAWS banquet when I drew a Dall sheep hunt. Everyone tells me it was quite entertaining.
Good luck and I am sure you will know exactly what to do when that tag happens!

Oh by the way it is 40 years and counting and still no Utah desert tag! Along with Nevada and Montana, but then who is counting? I did draw my Wyoming Rocky after 10 years and top points

The jig requires a lot of hip action, and belly jiggle, and then of course, the final touch is being able to scream like a little girl!
It wasn't pretty but it was worth it!

I think this is a great topic and it goes to show how dedicated people are to experiencing what is the greatest experience in the hunting world in my humble opinion.
I have applied in MT for 26 or 27 years (I missed a few when I was in the military), and the rest of the sheep states for a long time. I have no idea how many applications, but it has to be in the hundreds. But the tag gods do smile on you if you persevere. In the last four years, I have drawn two sheep tags, a moose, and a goat tag. I buy lots of raffle tickets too, but so far, that tactic has not paid off.
I only wish they were spread out a little more (moose and sheep tag in the same year), but you will never hear me complain. I am just thankful that I have been able to experience it and even more so because I was able to hunt my first sheep with my Dad. Unfortunately, my son was just a little too young. Now if I can do it one more time, my 10 year old son will be along for the ride. Come on desert!
It is a numbers game and to defeat 1:100 or 1:1000 odds, you have to keep throwing your hat (and $$$$) in the ring.
Good luck and keep supporting your G&F department.
WyMo

wymoosehunter I appreciate your pointing out where the $$$ go when we apply.I figure it costs me about $1500 a year for all my licenses,application fees, and raffle tickets each year.That is alot of money but I look at it as a contribution to conservation and that helps me feel better about it.

I'm not sure I really care to add it up, but it is something like this:

WY - 12
WA - 10
ID - 2
UT - 6
NM - 5
AZ - 5
NV - 8
MT - 15
AK - 6
CO - 1

Never tried CA, or OR. I'm probably forgetting a few of the apps back in the early 90's / late 80's. I applied a bit more sporadically in those days. I've drawn a total of 1 AK dall sheep tag. Not exactly behind the curve copmpared to some, but hope to be catching it soon!

Bill

I've never felt so depressed reading posts in my life! I just started applying for sheep in CO. a couple years ago. It almost seems impossible to draw a tag after reading these posts. Looks like I might be an old fart by the time I draw. I guess I'll just put in for less than desireable units with archery tackle and scout my arse off if I get a tag.

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

A long time ago, before I could even spell "math" or knew how bad draw odds really were - I drew for sheep, then Mt. Goat, and finally moose in Idaho in 3 consecutive years!

Now it has been 15 years in 4-5 states, plus all the raffle tries, and still no luck. :(

To help ease your pain definately apply in New Mexico and Idaho. As you guys probably know odds are the best there.

I drew Idaho Rocky my second year applying, apply there and look at the tougher units, I drew 20-1 Franky Church tough but killed a 10 year old ram.

Montana-max
Nevada Cali 10
Nevada Desert 11
Nevada Rocky max
Oregon doesn't matter home state.
Stopped applying in Wyoming 5 points.

Best of luck.

I looked over my state application history and I have 84 points, and have been putting in for Idaho and New Mexico, so when you add those two states in, easily over 100. Still havent received a successful letter.......but I do have a $508 charge on my Credit Card from Utah......Desert Bighorn Sheep! TJ

LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-10 AT 08:31AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-10 AT 08:29?AM (MST)

TJ

Congratulations! That is truly a once in a lifetime permit so make sure you take full advantage of it. My son's desert hunt last year was the best hunt of my 40+ years of hunting!
What unit? And how many points did you have?

TJ

Congrat's on the tag. Did you go with Escalante again?
Be a little more careful on the deer hunt this fall.

Paul

Congrats...ttj

Which unit? I'll now be going into the 2011 drawing with 16 DS points.

It looks like I drew the Escalante with 15 points going in. I think my odds were about 75% of pulling a max pool tag. Just waiting on a confirmation letter.....Still kind of sinking in that I will finally be hunting desert sheep this year. Thanks Paul! It's been a long road! :) I just knocked on wood by the way...:) I'll be hunting with Shadowhunter (Randy) and crew. TJ

TJ
It sounds like you waited long enough to earn that permit and you are definitely making the best of it by going with the best! Congratulations again.

Colngratulations on a dream hunt tag, be sure to keep us updated on how your hunt goes. This is an interesting thread, and got me to thinking, wow I've applied for a lot of sheep hunts, and only one time did I so much as make it to #1 alternate (CA's Marble Mtns desert sheep alternate). My totals are as follows:

CA 10
OR 11
AZ 14
NM 10
NV 10 desert, 10 Cali, 5 RMB
WY 11
MT 8
CO 6
UT 10
------------
105 One of these days.......

At least I've gotten to go on 5 sheep hunts up north, and have 3 Dalls to show for it, plus some good Stone and CA Bighorn memories even though no sheep on those hunts.

Ok ,you that have drawn a sheep tag after along time, once the shock wore off , was the hunt all that you dreamed about?
i used to read sheep hunting stories in outdoor life in the 70s {i think it was jack o'conner } so when i turned 16 and got my drivers licence , { lived in Grants Pass oregon then}
i thought i would apply for sheep and hunt eastern oregon. .................. i am now about to turn 47, and still havent drawn for sheep although i have been on some good deer, elk and lope hunts.

On my first sheep tag, I think everyone in my neighborhood herd my yell when I checked online. My wife came running from the shower wondering what was going on. It truly was an awesome feeling, and even better, the hunt exceeded my expectations and now I am hopelessly hooked. I love just being outdoors, but hunting in the "thin air" is incredible. Earning your shot on a sheep is the entire experience. Actually getting a ram is anti-climatic. I will always remember sneeking over a rock pile and spotting my ram who I had stalked for two days laying at 140 yards. An old time famous sheep hunter/outfitter (Elvin Hawkins)had told me never to shoot a sheep in its bed as more people miss or lose a sheep doing that. I think I laid there for 20 minutes and I was getting the shakes like I had after I shot my first buck deer when I was a little guy. I really wondered what kind of mess I would be if I had to wait another 20 minutes, let alone an hour or two. I couldn't take it any longer and knowing I could hit a dime at that range, shot the sheep and reveled in the whole experience. The buildup was greater than the success, but the success was sweet.
Even better, was the exact same feeling on the second.
Come on Desert, I want that rush again. Each sheep and goat has been just like the first big game animal I took 30 odd years ago; just that indescribable rush.
Keep applying, keep supporting your G&F (they do a great job with the resources they have, support your favorite(s) conservation organization and keep the faith, you will draw someday.
WyMo

I don't know but I will this fall! Just received email confirmation. Successful, Desert Bighorn Sheep Kaiparowits, Escalante. I was on a business call and my office partner had a client in our conference room. I still let out a nice YAAAAAHHHHHOOOOOOOO!!!! TJ

TJ
thats great.make sure you keep us informed, i would be totaly worthless between the tag news and the hunt, shooting ,scouting getting in sheep shape. then again i might build a padded room in the house and not go out so i wouldnt break a leg or something stupid like that. the day before the season, HA,HA

Now that the first wave of sheep tag rejection of the year has hit...(CO, UT), come on WY!!! WY's by far my best chance:)

Well I got a Rocky tag but not the expected one! The way it seems to go I'll probably draw Wyoming now that I already drew Colorado. I drew S11 with 3/8 points! Wyoming is a guarantee in the next few years so I hope it's not this year. I missed the withdrawal period by about a week. It would really be the shits to have to do 2 in one year! Not! LOL. Sorry guys but it will happen if you put in for enough years and have a little luck. Keep the faith.

I had 1 bonus point from last year & drew out this year in Utah. Lucky I guess.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom