Short on time, but long on fun.

B

BrownsandBucks

LAST EDITED ON Nov-06-15 AT 08:31PM (MST)[p]2015 deer season was fun but short this year for me. I really only got out couple hours during archery season which is generally my scouting time. We had the standard opening 5 days planned again to camp out but this year our party was split between X zones and D zones so it was just my father and I. Opening weekend we saw lots of deer and 12 spikes which is unusual in the area we hunt. Generally not tons of deer but mature bucks. Came home for week and had another week planned for camping but wife took a position with new company and they needed her for training the week we planned to hunt. Well daddy duty, work and when I could I would sneak away mid day. On a Wednesday in some Rain I snuck out and harvested a decent forky that somehow switched positions with a larger buck. We put together a good cat and mouse stalk that made it much too fun. At the shot he dropped and my heart sank for a second when the buck fell in his tracks and then the larger buck ran off. That soon left as I was happy to have some meat and a decent lil buck. About a week later I decided that I would carry my bow the rest of the season and see if I could harvest an archery buck, well of course I end up spotting a quality 4 point with solid eye guards on a hill side 1/4 mile away. Perfect wind , rain and everything when I get to where he should be long gone. My buddy was below me and could not find him either. Out of time so we are high tailing it to go get kids from school and about halfway to truck I look to my left and 125 yards away there he is just looking directly away from me. Well now I regret not having my rifle but cut distance to 65 yds and truth be told lil buck fever and arrow hit just below the buck. Oh well, live and learn,
Few days later I have my last day before wifey leaves town for 2 weeks so I head out midday, get on nice lil 3 point and fork and watch in horror as 3 point jumps the string at 30 yds. and arrow flies over his back. They bound out to 120 yards go back to feeling so I stalk when they feed and stop when they look my direction. wind was perfect and 25 min later I am behind a big fallen tree and sneak to a redwood and peek around it. 30 yards away both bucks are staring at me so I put my release on take 6 big steps out and let it fly. 3 point jumps kicks and runs off 150 yards and expires. Very fun year, not my biggest but both were very rewarding.
4763img1285.jpg

708fullsizerender1.jpg

i wish either or both of those bucks were in my freezer right now, congrats, couple nice bucks!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Way to go filling both tags in short time. This was a tough year. It'll be interesting to see what the success rates are now that reporting is mandatory.

Both pretty bucks. I think you did great.!

Eel

Guns are like parachutes. If you need one and don't have one you probably will never need one again.

Sounds like a great season and those are good bucks. Congratulations. Just curious...you were looking for a shed antler a few years back, weren't you? Any luck with that?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom