Should Poor Shots Be Shown On Videos?

H

HunterX

Just wanted to get some opinions on this subject. Do you think video of not so great shots where animals are hit but not recovered should be shown on a hunting video?

No way should they be shown. Hunting videos are like highlight videos for sports not documentaries. Bad shots happen, there is no way around that, but I for one would prefer not to see it.

ASOLUTELY NOT!!!! (IMO);-)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

No way!

Did anyone see the recent Elk Chronicles tv show?

This bull comes running in, stops behind some brush, almost head on, and the guy flings an arrow!!! Fortunately, it stuck in a small tree, in front of the bull. I could not believe that this is the best elk footage the RMEF could come up with. I would NOT have considered it a shot opportunity.

The other hunter about whacked a spike, on a private new mexico ranch, but it winded him. They had bulls screamin' but never actually saw any of them. pretty silly.

Bad shot can and will happen, but as hunters we should do our best to take ethical shots and responsible recovery attempts.

Borderland

What I think is silly, is the lack of showing the animal period.

Especially on the ground. Most shows give you at most about .5 or a second and often times only the antler is shown.

That is what is silly.

Few show the shot period, good or bad.

It depends on what is being asked. If you are asking if they should show a good shot opportunity that they made a bad shot on. Then yes there is no problem in my opinion. It should be addressed in the video. there is no one out there that can gurantee a perfect shot placement every time. Even if they have a good name for themsleves. Such as Micheal Wadell shot a bull in Wyoming on tv the other day and shot it clear back and I respected the fact that he did not hide from making a bad shot. It took till mid day the following day to find the elk but he admitted to the shot, showed replay, and said it was bad. Lets face it there is going to be bad shots, you can admit it or do what local movie guys do in the Salt Lake Valley and say they made a excellent shot at long range and let the animal walk into the arrow for a head shot. Or when they show the animal it is as stiff as a board and it was a great shot but it is obvious it was not a good shot and it took a while to die.

It is reality but probably not the best idea with all the tree huggers running around. Yes, I have seen some videos latley where there were some very bad shots made. I was like dude they just showed that. Not a good idea (IMO)

John

I agree with all of you, bad shots should not be shown! On the contrary I think that good shots should be shown and talked about more. With the rising up of all these anti-hunters, these shows should ramp up their importance on perfect shots, and quick kills. I watched Lee and Tiffany today and she made a great shot on an awesome whitetail in Alberta and she mentioned how it was important to her that she made a great shot and a clean, quick kill. I think those are the type of recovery interviews that need to be shown more often.

I would tend to agree with VELVET...I think that poor hits are a part of hunting, and should be shown. The catch is they should not be covered up. Who here hasn't made a bad hit on an animal? It's part of the sport. TV hunters need to admit to the not-so-perfect placement and show the effort to make a recovery of the animal. Yes, for the anti-hunters I suppose it could be used as ammunition or whatever you want to call it, but come on, show me one thing we as hunters do that they won't use as ammo!!!! You can't win with those folks, I'd rather see it how it happened.

>I would tend to agree with
>VELVET...I think that poor hits
>are a part of hunting,
>and should be shown.
>The catch is they should
>not be covered up.
>Who here hasn't made a
>bad hit on an animal?
> It's part of the
>sport. TV hunters need
>to admit to the not-so-perfect
>placement and show the effort
>to make a recovery of
>the animal. Yes, for
>the anti-hunters I suppose it
>could be used as ammunition
>or whatever you want to
>call it, but come on,
>show me one thing we
>as hunters do that they
>won't use as ammo!!!!
>You can't win with those
>folks, I'd rather see it
>how it happened.

Very well said I share the same opinion on the subject as you do. That being said what does everyone think about this clip of a hunter making a bad placed shot on a bull broadside at 20 yards. http://www.monsterhuntclips.com/view_video.php?viewkey=5ffed0d024130f58c5cf Should this clip be on a hunting video or should it be left out.

NOT UNLESS THE ANIMAL IS RECOVERED THEN I DONT SEE ANY PROBLEM WITH SHOWING WHAT DEDICATION AND RESPECT WE AS HUNTERS HAVE FOR AN ANIMAL WHEN WE SCREW UP AND MAKE A POOR SHOT.

since we are on the subject I want say that there is something else about certain hunting shows that pisses me off even more than unrecovered animals.

A few nights ago I was watching the hunters journal with Tammy Koieg, and her daughter, It was a MT mule deer hunt with a muzzle loader. Her daughter misses a buck at almost dark and they said that she missed clean no blood ect, they checked again the next day and still no blood ect so she missed the deer no problem, Now its Tammys turn they spot a buck and make a stock the buck gets up its a 2 point on the left side and a 3 on the right, she shoots hits the buck right in the shoulder and the deer runs over the hill, they go to recover the deer and guess what its a 4 x 3 not the same buck she shot at all, I recorded the thing 6-7 times and it was a much larger deer. Well this made me curious so I rewound the DVR back to her daughters shot at her buck and guess what its the same buck. The daughter shot the 4x3 and tammy shot the 2x3 but Tammys on film with a riggerd 4x3 all proud that she is full of shet. FAKING A KILL OR NOT SHOWING THE TRUTH IS JUST PLAIN BS IF I WAS ONE OF THE SPONSORS OF THAT SHOW SHE WOULD HAVE A HARD TIME GETTING ANYTHING FROM ME EVER AGAIN, I PLAN ON SENDING HER AN EMAIL ABOUT THE INCEIDENT.

DID ANYONE ELSE SEE THE SHOW JUST WOUNDERING.

Avsman said;
"DID ANYONE ELSE SEE THE SHOW JUST WOUNDERING."

Yes i picked it out bigtime and didn't like it one bit. Who do they think watches these shows? Can't believe that they try and pull stuff like that and think it's OK, it's not.

People miss. Too often, but yes, people miss. If they had been just a little better shot, they would have wounded the animal instead of missing. I know fer fact that there are many excellent shots on game here amoung the members of this board. I also feel that too many shots at too long of range are being bred right here in these pages as we read.

I say show every shot. Maybe then they would get some of these so called "Outdoor Professional Hunter Experts" that don't know crap about Western Big Game Hunting back shooting, turkeys with scoped shotguns, deer from tree/poll house stands, and 5 deer a day over a big pile of ferminted ground corn, where they belong.

sorry for the rant, joey

Nope didn't see that the show but I wouldn't put it past some of the hunting people on TV. This is one reasons why I don't watch hunting shows on TV anymore. I only watch the hunting DVDs now but even some of those are getting pretty bad now days but not nearly as bad as on TV.

Nope, not IMO. But then again, personally I feel that most hunting videos give even too much attention to the kill shot period. I hate watching a show and seeing a replay or two, or some times even three of the kill shot. Then the majority of the time they rush the amount of time to actually SEE and get a good up close look at the animal.

-I mean come on guys, its not like it's the money shot on another kind of video...for gosh sakes, lets get a good look at the fruits of your labor - to me the kill shot is like part of the chase! What about the end product?

my opinion... most of the folks that put those out couldnt hit the broadise of a barn with a shotgun.. i guess they just aim for the brown and pull the trigger.. and then you'll always hear GOOD SHOT.. what the @#@#R$%.... those videos are only good for WHAT NOT TO DO. educational :)

Since your on the subject of hunting shows. It seems to they are more and more often not taking reasonable efforts at recovering there downed animals. A good solid shot, to me, does not justify leaving over night just so you can recover the antlers. If one thing pisses me off about these this would be it. And self proclaimed proffesional hunters, idiots.

i agree with the yes they should be shown but only if the animal is retrieved ... i would like to see some more realistic shows of shooting, real stalking, and poor shots that may take a couple more to put them down some actual tracking techniques and ideas used to find wounded game and some off hand shooting at close range when the wounded get up and run .... maybe some tips on differnt ways to handle the meet after an all night hunt for a wounded animal .... funny to me how we always see the horns the hand shakes but never any mention of the care and respect for the meet .....

i was watching a fmp video the other day and they prid themselves in long archery shots. they had an 80 yd shot and hit the buck in the head, a 65 yder that hit the buck in the shoulder and didnt penetrate. and one that had the ass right towerds the hunter where all you can see is rump and neak and the the guy goes on how the wheight fowerd of his arrow alows him to make shots like that. just most of there shots where just plain no good. i dont think they should be shown and not bragged about. but thats their choice not mine.

moseley middleton

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom