Shuree Ponds

nmhunter88

Headed up to Red River this weekend for some r and r. Was thinking about taking a trip up to fish area. Never been up that way. Would the drive from Red River be worth the drive. Taking the kids and wife andmy pops. Thanks for any info you might have.

nmhunter88

LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-11 AT 02:42PM (MST)[p]The fishing at the Rio Costilla is pretty good. The shuree ponds are about 10 feet low and warm. Fishing may be ok but I wouldnt suggest going or keeping fish if you do. The water is around 70 degrees. Sorry ...still a beauitiful trip..

on your way to shuree ponds you will drive right next to thecostilla river bueatiful area.

I'm leaving for the Costilla now, but may not be back in time to give you a report. I'll try to post one anyway.

If you fish Shuree get there before sunrise. When I was there in September the trout were on fire until the sun hit the horizon.

Just got back from a LONG day. First time ever for me to see the Valle Vidal and all I can say is WOW! What a beautiful area and I understand why it's once in a lifetime. A firend and I fish the Rio Costilla and managed to get 50+ to the net. Nothing huge (maybe 12" or so) but it was a day I'll always remember. Red humpies in about a sz 14, yellow stimulators in a sz 12 both worked on top. Just about ANYTHING subsurface snagged fish. Size 20 flashback pheasant tail all the way up to a size 12 green, ugly, Irish nymph (my friend is here from Ireland working). In the middle of the day I absolutely killed them on a size 18 green sprakle caddis larvae. Good times!

Didn't see the first elk, but it was about 8 AM when we got there. We drove in from the west side and spent all day on Comanche Creek.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom