Silver Fire

stevie

Any word on partial containment?

Praying for the firefighters and the residents. Their issues are far greater than mine. That being said, I might need to scout a different area for deer season. My primary hunting area is aflame.

I've found that the deer and elk move back into burned areas fairly quickly after the fires are out--they like to forge on the new growth. The question will be whether the FS or BLM decides to close the area to public access for safety concerns...

4 Lightning strike fires in last week in Gila area,Silver the biggest. It all depends on hot they burn as to how fast they recover.I have seen deer and elk run thru the fireline and get behind a fire and start looking for food and minerals.
As stated they could keep some areas closed if we get no rain.

Folks out scouting now are wasting their time IMHO. Maybe deer will be in the area later,but these elk are moving miles now,many miles.

I just found a good website--inciweb.org which gives regular updates on fires. The Silver Fire has now burned 8400 acres.

good onformation guys. Thanks

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

It is UGLY out there right now.. You can't even see the W mountain from town... They closed Wall Lake road yesterday, I am not sure if it is still closed... I talked to the Fish Biologist for the Gila this afternoon and it is pretty bleak.. We need rain and we need it now we are paying the price for years for fire suppression.. I guess the good thing is that once this fire blows thru there shouldn't be much dry fuel left...

J

my son is a hot shot firefighter from flagstaff and was dispatched there on tues...he said today that its really gonna be a bad one...hope the monsoons kick in

At some point this stuff has to burn. To bad it happens at the hottest, driest time of the year.
Would like to see more aggressive controlled burns and thinning done. Might even save some $.
In the long run it is good, meanwhile, structures are lost and millions are spent.

It hasn't reach the Gila Watershed yet but it is close and there are no places to stop it before it hits wall lake road... SO to answer your question it hasn't reached Wall lake but it is creeping in that direction...

>At some point this stuff has
>to burn. To bad
>it happens at the hottest,
>driest time of the year.
>
>Would like to see more aggressive
>controlled burns and thinning done.
> Might even save some
>$.
>In the long run it is
>good, meanwhile, structures are lost
>and millions are spent.
Agree completely Paul.I was just discussing this with neighbors,retired FS folks who say the same thing. No $ spent where and when it should be now.
Looks like it's going to be another hot smokey one today here. Can hardly see across a 2 mi wide valley,the mesas are obscured.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom