sold the ranch

257nut

i heard through a friend that the double h ranch by datil, the rocky mountain elk foundation owned was sold. did they sell it to the state or a private party. i thought it was donated to them. did i get wrong info.

It was sold a few years ago maybe a year ago but they have been trying to unload it for a long time... it was sucking the RMEF dry... Do a quick Google search...

It was sold about a year ago.And somehow RMEF still has their hands in it and the trust has new $. I know they needed cash and it was run very poorly,but from what I hear from local ranchers it's just a repackaging of same same.
Also rumor has it that new owners/RMEF is Texas big business folks and others including Magic Johnson .Also they might be involved with the attempt by the so called Augustine Plains ranch LLC to pump the Plains of San Augustine dry to sell to Albacrackie or Texacan Oil folks. It would effect all of us here in Catron and Socorro counties as our wells would go dry. This attempt to pump 54,000acre ft per year of water has been shot down twice by State Eng. office. But they have full time lobbyists working the SF circut just like the other big business folks,bribing NM Govt. just like in DC.
Personally I have stopped being involved with RMEF after being a member for many years. They have only proved to me to be lawyers with wordspeak and not enough action or boots on the ground for the amount of money they raise. The so called conservation easements and other programs and things they claim as good for wildlife are mostly tax scams for rich folks. I tried to get involved and get help with stuff at my ranch and surrounding lands,but I guess I'm not good enough for them. I'm not the only one here in Catron county to feel the same,many other ranchers too. Well I guess I don't want them at my place now,as I probably don't have good enough mirrors for them... and this is my opinion and I'm sure I'll be hearing from one of their lawyers....they are welcome to try and set foot on my land!
PS,my land is for the elk and antelope and I pay for it.

Hank4elk, interesting about the rumored connection of RMEF to the plan to pump the water out of that area. I don't doubt that connection for a second. I'm glad that you're able to keep your land for antelope and elk without the help of big corporation outside money. Stay strong!

I heard that the new buyer paid more than asking price for the ranch.

That's the problem with certain org's too big for their britches and if this is happening the members need to know.

RMEF has no ownership in the ranch. Prior to the sale, the ranch was put in a conservation Easement protecting the land. The sales proceeds were required to be placed in a restricted endowment account. No principal can be used from the endowment account, only earnings. And, only 5% of the balance per year. Even then, the withdrawls can only be used for mission related work. No overhead, salaries, etc.

WB I understand some of how CE's work,and they vary in degree depending on wording etc. and which restrictions go with them.
That is what I was looking to do on my place and leave the whole property to RMEF when I go.I have no kids and no family to speak of.
RMEF wanted me to put up the money first and then reimburse me some.After a year of trying to work something out that I could understand,they stopped all contact with me.Fine.
I'm going to be working with NRCS possibly now instead.
RMEF has bad reputation here in Catron county with the locals.

Sounds like they went out of their way to make it difficult. You should be able to hand over your land pretty easily this day and age and if I was doing that I sure wouldn't be giving them money.
I would think there's an org out there that would be more than happy to preserve your land, follow your wishes and do it all easily.

Never gave them anything but time. And membership. Now no time or membership from me.
I have something in the works and the critters come and eat and drink.
Like I said they have bad rep. here,I got alot of flak for the sticker when I first got here. Now it's gone from my truck.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom