Son's first big game animal

idabigbuck

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-07 AT 07:12PM (MST)[p]10/5/07
Our Idaho cow elk hunt started bright and early on Friday Oct. 5th. We were up at 5:00 am and hiking to our spot by 6.00. We were hunting closed roads in an area where we had seen elk before. Here is some of the country
Ryanselkhunt004.jpg

Ryanselkhunt003.jpg

About 8:00 we spotted our first elk, a cow with a calf and a spike. I judged the distance to be about 200 yards. Just as my 15-year-old son settled in for the shot, they began to move and crossed over the hill they were on and out of sight. This gave us the chance to move quickly on the road we were on around the hill to get a better shot. As we came around the hill, the ridge above us was alive with elk. There were at least 40 elk with several bulls just bugling up a storm. It was awesome. Every 10 to 15 seconds a bull would cut loose with another bugle and series of grunts. We named this place ?Bugle Ridge.?

They were still too far for a shot, but close enough to bust us if we made a wrong move. So we waited for them to move off a little ways before moving closer to find one to shoot. Finally able to move forward, we stayed close to the hillside for cover. We found one to take a shot at. My son used his pack for a rest and squeezed of a shot. It was a steep up hill shot and much further than it looked. At the shot the cow just stood there. I was watching with my bino?s and saw no evidence of a hit. Just as he was about to take another shot she moved out of sight. I was sure it was a clean miss, but we had to make sure. So we climbed up the hill to the spot where the elk was. We searched all around, no blood, hair or anything except tracks and dukey.

The bulls were still screaming their heads off up the ridge so we decided to follow them and see if we could get another shot. After about ? mile we got to a place to set up and wait for a shot to present itself. The elk were not alarmed and were ambling towards a bedding area a little further up the ridge. Finally a cow stepped into a small clearing and stood there broadside. That little crease in the trees in the center of the picture is where she was standing.
Ryanselkhunt007.jpg

Using a downed tree as a rest my son took careful aim and fired. The cow whirled and ran out of sight. I told him I thought she was hit. We decided to wait at least ? hour before going up the hill to where we thought the tracking would begin. After 20 minutes I scanned the clearing where the cow was and saw what looked like a large tan colored rock. Naw, she couldn't have dropped right there. But the more I looked, the more it looked like an elk lying there. We decided to check it out and began counting the paces to the spot. After 220 paces we still hadn't reached the spot, but it was clear that my son had just harvested his first big game animal!!! The hugging and high fiveing began. Followed by the pictures and the work.
Ryanselkhunt012.jpg

Ryanselkhunt013.jpg

Ryanselkhunt015.jpg

He made a perfect heart shot. She died within 15 feet of where she was hit. The Nosler Partition in 30.06 performed flawlessly.

He shot her about 12:30 and we didn't get back to the truck until 7:00 pm., exhausted and satisfied. I couldn't be more proud of my son!

hey, i'm just as happy for the both of ya...great story, greater 'ending'...big time congratulations to the both of you...thanks for sharing it with the rest of us..

Congrats to both the boy and you. The really cool thing about it all is I know you enjoyed that hunt every bit, if not more, than your son did. Of course you realize, , , now there is another "elkaholic" out there!!!
That is a legacy you can be proud of.

Congrats to you both!

Congrats, awesome story. I love hearing about young hunters getting there first animal.

Thanks for the kind words. My son is so excited to be, "putting food on the table." He is really starting to like hunting now. He can't wait for the deer season to open so he can get his first deer. He got his first elk before I got mine. LOL

Congratulations. Isn't it great when you can share this with your kids? Great story, and a nice start for your son.

Awesome story and photos. Congratulations on a great hunt. Looks like lots of good eating also. My daughter got her first buck this year (in mule deer section) I know how you feel!!!

I'd rather be huntin!!!!

Congratulations to your son on his first elk! I know how you must feel. My boy got his first elk a couple of weeks ago, and it was AWESOME!

Thanks for sharing the story!!

S.

:)

I love to see kids having fun hunting. I only wish my dad would have taught me how to hunt. I can't wait for my kids to be able to go hunting with me. Good Job!

Again, thanks for the kind words. As most of you already know the fun stops when the work begins. We had a 5 mi. packout on our backs. I used the gutless method after she was down and it worked out great! We had a couple of game bags with us, just in case. I cut the meat off of the bone and that saved us a lot of weight. But I hearby promise and solemnly swear to never shoot an elk that far away from the road again!!! Can I get an Amen!?

Congrats to your son. I can't wait till my boy is old enough to get his first elk.

Great story , great pics great hunt! Congrats to you both , loved reading it . Thanks for sharing it here with us and tell your boy Way to go!!!NM

Stacey, that looks like your deer hunting spot too? Beautiful country. Looks a little like Northern Kali.

A nice healthy looking cow your son shot. Yummy!

Oh, BTW...AMEN!:)

Steve

idabigbuck, Nice team work, congrats to your son. However, I do not want to hear any complaining about the packing out, I would have helped you, but you did not invite me to go along, maybe next time!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom