Son's First Elk

couesbitten

Sorry this is so long, but i wanted to tell the whole story.

We got back from my son's (Gavin) first elk hunt. My brother and his wife came along, and this would be his first big game hunt as well. Gavin had drawn a cow elk tag, so he would be able to shoot a 3-point or larger bull, or a cow (sounds easy).

We get to our camping area Friday Nov. 2 and get camp set up, complete last minute preparations, and relax around the campfire.

Saturday morning we get up, eat and hit the trail for the 2 mile hike in to our jump off point. 20 mins. into the trees, a bull starts bugling. WTF! Bulls aren't supposed to bugle five times in Nov. My brother heads up a ridge, and Gavin and I head towards the bugling bull. We hear him bugling about 100 - 200 yds from us, so we move forward about 50 yds and sit down to look and listen. Sitting there for just a minute, Gavin whispers "Dad, he's right there" I look, and sure enough, there he is about 100 yds away looking right at us from behind a screen of brush and trees. Looks like a five point. 30 seconds later, the bull turns and takes whoever is with him away from us. An hour later, Gavin let's a cow at 80 yds walk away, because he wants to shoot a bull. Okay!? Don't see anymore elk the rest of that day.

Sunday we wake up and head for the same area of the mountain. The three of us still hunt up through the trees and hunt all day without seeing a single animal. We did however run into the lady who is camped near us with her three horses while they were out for a trail ride through the woods. That afternoon, with about an hour of light left, we are sitting in our favored stand of trees, when Gavin says "I see legs moving, it better not be those dang horses again". I immediately tell him it can't be the horses, and I see tan bodies moving through the trees above and towards us. About that time Gavin says that he sees antlers, and I confirm that their is a fair sized five point bringing up the rear of the group. I tell gavin that he should consider shooting the first legal animal that he has a shot at and he agrees as a cow starts heading downhillon a course that will bring her broadside to us at less than 100 yds. The cow stops about 70 yds. away behimnd a stump that is covering her vitals. Her head and part of her neck are sticking out from behind the stump and I ask gavin if he thinks he can thread a bullet in there and shoot her just below the head. he says that he can't and we wait, only to have the whole bunch spook and run off 30 seconds later. DAMN! We still hunt down through the trees and head for camp.

Monday is our last day, and we are planning to be back to camp by noon to pack up and head for home. We head back to our favorite stand of trees and still hunt uphill. As we get to the top of the trees, it started to get a little cold, so Gavin and I decide to put on our coats to fight off the wind-chill. After getting our coats on, we are sitting looking and listening, when my brother grabs my arm and points to my right where a 4-point bull elk is standing broadside at 118 yds through a perfect shooting lane through the trees. I immediately point it out to gavin and get him set up for a shot. It takes him what seems like forever to get settled and comfortable, and the whole time I'm thinking and whispering "that bull's not going to stand there forever". He finally shoots and the bull drops in it's tracks. Bullet enterd high behind shoulder, and exited higher in front of opposite shoulder, taking out spine on it's way through. Lots of high fives, hugs, and back slapping follow. After some pictures, I go to work on the bull, and my brother heads for camp and our two pack frames. Two hours later, my brother has returned and he's making 30 min. hunts near where we are, while I finish cutting up the elk for transport. Suddenly two black bears come running out of the dense brush above us and about 60 yds away. I tell Gavin to get his gun, and we get him set up to shoot the big bear which appears to be all of 300 lbs, jet black, and with a gorgeous coat. The bear stops behind two trees, and we are just waiting for it to step out on either side, when my brother comes walking cross the hillside behind us and scares the two of them off. Oh well, if we had shot that bear, I'd of had to spend another night and Gavin would have missed another day of school, not to mention the taxidermy bill for the bear! So we pack up and haul some VERY heavy packs down off that hill. We get back to camp, get everything loaded up and get home Monday at 9:30 pm.

We all had a great time and made some memories that will last a life time. But, best of all the hunting bug has sunk it's bite a little deeper into and the hunting infection has become a little more severe in Gavin. I think that these and the coming years may be the apex of my hunting experience. I love to hunt, but I find it to be more rewarding when my son is with me and he's doing the hunting. As he gets older and we can hunt seperately out there, my attitude may change a little, but right now, my greatest joys and achievements are in his experiences. Thanks for reading, Scott

DSCN1857.jpg

DSCN1860.jpg

Gavin and my brother having a lunch break on a vantage point
DSCN1864.jpg

DSCN1866.jpg

DSCN1870.jpg

Gavin and his proud dad
DSCN1878.jpg

Our hunting party
DSCN1874.jpg

Its stories like this that make me log onto this page. Congradulations on the bull.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-07 AT 03:08PM (MST)[p]Scott. Tell your son good job. That is awesome. My son took his first bull this year also. Nothin better than watching your boy put down his first elk.

Great job, it sure is a thrill to be out with your son and have him get his first bull. Congratulations............ Thanks, Allen Taylor......

Cous,
My son harvested his first big game animal this year as well, a cow elk. I know the pride you are feeling. Sounds like a great hunt, with the best company. Congratulations! :)
Its fair chase, or its foul!

Great job Gavin. Great job Scott. Great story. Great pictures. Next best thing to being there to enjoy it first hand.

Just want to say thanks to everyone for their comments. Gavin really enjoys reading them and gets a kick out of some of the humor on this site. Good luck to everyone on your remaining hunts, and be safe. Scott

Well... ok.
My oldest son Sawyer(14) got a 3x2 mule deer opening morning (the family ranch, private land) and I had his younger brother Hunter(12) lined up on a bigger buck a 3x3 in the evening but he could not get steady enough to shoot. That buck and another even larger 3x3 were buggered out of there by some guys at first light the next morning and that was it for opening weekend. Went back tha next saturday and saw lots of sub legal bucks, no shooters. But then wacked a big 5x5 whitetail buck with the front end of my truck on the way home that night, bummer.. both deer and truck got messed up. :(
Check out your rut ? in the WASH forum. Good luck! :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom