Survival Kit

Zacko1

I'm teaching some scouts some basic survival skills and about what items would be good to have in a compact survival kit and would like your opinions.

What do you carry with you while hunting or hiking in the way of a survival kit?

bandaids, neosporin, aspirin, ibuprofen, bensdryl, matches, lighter, fire starter cubes, can opener, spork. knife (small multi-tool), cord, bandanna, sun screen, chapstick, eye drops reflective blanket, compass, map. athletic tape and gauze pads, reading glasses.
That's about all I carry in the pack but have more in the truck or camp.
Zeke

MT DEW!

A Gun!

A Few Bullets!

Can't Think of anything else you'd Need?

[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA SEE
THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

Oh ya, I forgot the diet dew!
We have Bess around to remind us of the important things.
Zeke

JUDAS Zeke!

You're like a Woman!

You got 3 of everything!:D

And That's OK if you got Her there to pack it for you!:D

THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

>JUDAS Zeke!
>
>You're like a Woman!
>
>You got 3 of everything!:D
>
>And That's OK if you got
>Her there to pack it
>for you!:D
>>
>

I know it sounds like a bunch of junk to carry but I only pack a few of each and replenish as needed. Everything I mentioned fits in a small ditty bag and weighs about like 2-3 Ultra Mag cartridges (I usually only use one or two of those anyway unless I see a running yote).

You'd ought to see what the wife takes! Holy Sh!t! She packs a bunch of worthless stuff but her mental peace is based on her STUFF, I suppose. She refuses to let me go through her pack any more because she knows it will be a big fight every time. With her along, I get to hike slower, which is nice!

Zeke

Bic lighter, Space/emergency Blanket, Water treatment tablets, Flashlight with extra batteries are just a few item that stay in my pack.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>bandaids, neosporin, aspirin, ibuprofen, bensdryl, matches,
>lighter, fire starter cubes, can
>opener, spork. knife (small multi-tool),
>cord, bandanna, sun screen, chapstick,
>eye drops reflective blanket, compass,
>map. athletic tape and gauze
>pads, reading glasses.
>That's about all I carry in
>the pack but have more
>in the truck or camp.
>
>Zeke

All this plus quick clot and a packaged battle dressing

Kotex pad, Tampon, Blood Clotting Cloth. Last item sold at REI and many other locations. All of the above is TO STOP BLEEDING. If this is not stopped, by Pad or Plug, your Victim will not survive, let alone, being packed out.

All 3 are in Sterile Packs.

Jagerdad

>>JUDAS Zeke!
>>
>>You're like a Woman!
>>
>>You got 3 of everything!:D
>>
>>And That's OK if you got
>>Her there to pack it
>>for you!:D
>>>
>>
>
>I know it sounds like a
>bunch of junk to carry
>but I only pack a
>few of each and replenish
>as needed. Everything I mentioned
>fits in a small ditty
>bag and weighs about like
>2-3 Ultra Mag cartridges (I
>usually only use one or
>two of those anyway unless
>I see a running yote).
>
>
>You'd ought to see what the
>wife takes! Holy Sh!t! She
>packs a bunch of worthless
>stuff but her mental peace
>is based on her STUFF,
>I suppose. She refuses to
>let me go through her
>pack any more because she
>knows it will be a
>big fight every time. With
>her along, I get to
>hike slower, which is nice!
>
>
>Zeke

Hey Zeke!

I Forgot about my Pocket Knife that I Pack 24/7!

People Like NVB/dude Will probably Label me as a TERRORIST!

You Ever seen me go for my Pocket Knife?

THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

Oh Yes, "The Pocket Knife"..... I agree with elkassassin 100%.

Just make sure the Blade(s) are Chrome so it/they may reflect Sunlight to Airplanes, Helicopters, Friend/Foe (French Assault) and Laser Pointer(s) so 767's can report you to the Feds.....faster rescue :)

Throw in a dozen iodine tablets and a zip lock bag.. Zero weight, drink from any western creek. We're talking short term survival here,

Wear a money belt, fill the belt with two thirds of Zeke's stuff. Fill the shafts of your carbon or aluminum hiking sticks with the rest. Tampons will fit in there as well.

DC

Small plastic container with a few vaseline coated cotton balls with electrical tape wrapped around the exterior of the container for reuse.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

OK I'm pretty sure I can't even get 12-14 year old boys to say Kotex or tampon without giggling. And I'm pretty sure they are poisonous to boys that age.

I do remember when I was 14 my Scoutmaster Uncle telling us they make good sterile dressings. So almost all of us raided our moms bathrooms on the sly and showed up with them on the next camp out. Of course they didn't stay in the packs, once we got a little bored and our curiosity overcame us, we all opened them up and tried to figure out why our moms needed a miniature diaper and why these pads had sticky tape on them. (I think my uncle was talking about those strap-on kind my grandma used.)

Good thing one kid in our troop had an older sister who had obviously trained him in the use of feminine hygiene products. He grossed us all out with the gory details.

Suddenly Alice Cooper's "Only Women Bleed" made sense.

A good portion of my young naive soul died on that camp.

Just tell them a Kotex is a Soup Saver. Drop it into leftover Soup, allow it to absorb then hold it above the Pot and ring it out....They will never make the connections.... :)

Here's one: I was done at work, off duty, driving Home at 1am and found a vehicle accident. It had gone off the road, flipped and the solo driver, a Lady was ejected. She had a gash across her forehead hairline to hairline with the meat/flesh of her forehead, draped down over her eyes/face. There were no cell phones and I was way out in the country. I saw bags of groceries thrown all over the ground. I then noticed a pack of Toilet papers. I had my Spiderco Harpy knife. I struggled to cut a roll of toilet paper: "IN HALF". The paper wanted to rip and shred but the unique Blade did the job. I opened the roll to form a long, wide pad. The cardboard roll removed (fell out). I lifted her forehead meat back in place and put the pad on top. She was in and out of consciousness but I asked her to hold it in place. This gave her something mentally to do.

To use up time in scout camp, maybe have a competition of scouts cutting a roll in half and telling them why. Maybe a Hacksaw blade would work better. Let them discover what tool is the best, I still don't know.

Yes, I was joking about the Soup Saver... :)

LAST EDITED ON May-27-16 AT 02:12PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-27-16 AT 02:11?PM (MST)

Zacko1,

Keep in mind that these kits should be specific to many things...hiking area, time of year, ability of hiker, distance hiked, etc. There will be lots of good answers

One of my tours in the Navy was where part of my job was to instruct combat search and rescue in a desert environment. We also traveled to Bridgeport, CA to do the same training in a mountainous/cold weather environment.

Tampons were considered, then dismissed for better blood stopping abilities of other products. Menstrual blood (and the stuff that comes with it...it is only about 40-50% blood) is different than arterial blood.

Do a web search for 'hemostatic agents and tissue sealants'. Quick clot...Israeli bandage. Far better for sealing a wound than tampons.

WRT the other stuff...depends on the size of the pack and where I am with respect to known area or new area. Im a minimalist kind of guy for that stuff.

Medical stuff: Quick clot, small surgical kit, aspirin and any specific meds, bug kit, compression bandages, silvadene, Vaseline, Neosporin/bacitracin.

Drinking stuff: water straw, unlubricated condom (water carry),

Keeping warm stuff: space blanket, lighter, firestarting stuff (not synthetic lint from the dryer), socks

Food Stuff: fish line/hooks, protein, fats and candy. Carbs take up too much water.

Survival stuff: survival mirror (has a tiny hole in the middle for better directional signaling), map, compass, automatic knife, cell phone.

Boy! Lots of great ideas that make me rethink my small backpack kit since when I use it I'm a LONG ways from help.

Something else that I've used many times is a large needle with dental floss for clothes and pack repair. I always have floss for dental comfort and a needle always goes along and weighs nothing.

Nice to hear some great ideas from others!
Zeke

>LAST EDITED ON May-27-16
>AT 02:12?PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON May-27-16
>AT 02:11?PM (MST)

>
>Zacko1,
>
>Keep in mind that these kits
>should be specific to many
>things...hiking area, time of year,
>ability of hiker, distance hiked,
>etc. There will be
>lots of good answers
>
>One of my tours in the
>Navy was where part of
>my job was to instruct
>combat search and rescue in
>a desert environment. We
>also traveled to Bridgeport, CA
>to do the same training
>in a mountainous/cold weather environment.
>
>
>Tampons were considered, then dismissed for
>better blood stopping abilities of
>other products. Menstrual blood
>(and the stuff that comes
>with it...it is only about
>40-50% blood) is different than
>arterial blood.
>
>Do a web search for 'hemostatic
>agents and tissue sealants'.
>Quick clot...Israeli bandage. Far
>better for sealing a wound
>than tampons.
>
>WRT the other stuff...depends on the
>size of the pack and
>where I am with respect
>to known area or new
>area. Im a minimalist
>kind of guy for that
>stuff.
>
>
>Medical stuff: Quick clot, small
>surgical kit, aspirin and any
>specific meds, bug kit, compression
>bandages, silvadene, Vaseline, Neosporin/bacitracin.
>
>Drinking stuff: water straw, unlubricated
>condom (water carry),
>
>Keeping warm stuff: space blanket,
>lighter, firestarting stuff (not synthetic
>lint from the dryer), socks
>
>
>Food Stuff: fish line/hooks, protein,
>fats and candy. Carbs
>take up too much water.
>
>
>Survival stuff: survival mirror (has
>a tiny hole in the
>middle for better directional signaling),
>map, compass, automatic knife, cell
>phone.

Hey doc?

After packing it in your Wallet for 30 years do you think it's still Good?:D

THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

I was told by someone that quick clot type products could do more harm than good when used by an untrained person. Any truth to that? You guys seem to have way more knowledge than me.

Well This is gonna look Cute!

feddoc Asking Zeke if He's got an Extra Tampon!

JUDAS!

THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

Not technically considered part of the survival kit, but to stay alive you must stay warm and dry. So I always include packable raingear in my daypack, no matter what the forecast. that can be as simple as some cheap rain pants and a plastic pancho. I also include a down vest. smushes up real small, but keeps your core warm when you need it.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

> Well This is gonna look
>Cute!
>
>feddoc Asking Zeke if He's got
>an Extra Tampon!
>
>JUDAS!
>
I get my panties in a wad sometimes but he'd be asking the wrong guy for one. He'd better ask Kaytlin....or whatever his name is. I'm still trying to figure out where Bruce is stuffing them! Oh well.
Zeke

Lots of good ideas and gear....add a package of "Quick Clot" emergency blood stopping/stop the bleeding in a severe emergency situation. Light weight and could save someones life...
Cabelas or REI
))))------->

The Quick Clot and Israeli dressings do not really stop any bleeding without pressure being applied to the bleeding site.

Penetrating wounds (bullets, arrows, knives, sharp sticks) are either compressible, or non-compressible. Obviously compressible injuries are the easiest to fix.

Extremity injuries (Arms or legs) are easier and faster to compress by applying a tourniquet. You can buy really good ones called CAT Tourniquets from North American Rescue, and they are the gold standard of prepackaged tourniquets. Watch the application videos on their site for more information about applying them. New research shows that tourniquets can be left on for a few hours without causing injury to the limb, hopefully in time to get professional medical aid.

"Wound packing" is what is done with compressible injuries that are in Junctional areas like the Femoral artery in the groin, and they can be much harder to stop the bleeding. Picture the scene in Black Hawk Down where the guy is bleeding from a femoral artery hit, and they are trying to clamp the artery.

Wound packing could have been used instead of the clamp and is basically you stuffing the hole super tight, right on top of the artery with enough pressure to stop the flow of blood, which stops the life threatening injury. Wound packing has become much more successful with the addition of Quick Clot and other Hemostatic agents that are directly applied first, or impregnated into the gauze. Obviously quickly getting to a surgeon is still critical.

Injuries that are non-compressible (head, chest) are much more complicated and usually require a surgeon.

Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC) is the military version of combat medicine, and nationally Law Enforcement is adopting the civilian version, Tactical Emergency Casualty Care (TECC) and having great success. If you are interested at all in knowing this kind of information there is a lot of TCCC info on the web as well as classes that you can attend. (some of them are very expensive!)

Most of the info in TCCC directly applies to hunters and anyone that spends a great deal of time far away from medical aid, and in close proximity to sharp sticks and things that go bang.

North American Hunting Competition
http://northamericanhuntingcompetition.com/

All good stuff to have, add some mole skin. I always wear good leather gloves to protect my hands. This isn't necessarily in a survival kit but, just having the protection can save on scraps and cuts on the hands and keeps them clean when needed for other issues.

Smokepole

Is this training a one-time session or is it an ongoing course of some kind? And how many scouts? I have some simple signal mirrors that you can have if you want. Call me at 435-592-1150.
Lee Tracy, UWC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom