Tag numbers

H

heffe

Has Utah released tag numbers yet? Just curious if there were any changes for NR Willard Peak Billy goat tags. Last year there were 2 NR tags for the early hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-14 AT 04:41PM (MST)[p]Looks like the recommendations are the same as last year for Willard peak, but only for the early hunt.

Holy crap. If I'm reading this right, the willard nanny tags for residents dropped from 17 tags in 2013 to 2 in 2014. So they are giving out 12% of the tags. What happened?

I actually had a chance at drawing this tag in the near future, I'll never draw it if they keep tags that low.

I'm in the same boat c86man3....I put in with 8 points this year for one of those Nanny tags thinking I would draw. Now, it's not looking likely that I'll draw anytime soon. Especially because if there were only 2 tags and 3 applicants I would be the odd man out! Such is my luck!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-26-14 AT 10:06AM (MST)[p]Thanks, great find! Ouch, I feel your pain. If you read the management plan, the nanny tags were used as a tool to get the populations under control (objectives) to prevent disease wiping out the herd. Once at or under objective, the nanny hunts were to be eliminated. Probably your nanny goats went to the other areas as they took a lot off the mountain this year for other herds.

There's some good news and some bad news in the report!
Some of you guys will probably not get the tags for which you applied.
The good news is that one of my best buds will draw a coveted desert sheep tag since there was a slight increase in the tags for his unit. That's cool!
Too bad we didn't have the info before the application deadline.
Seems like the States either change the tag numbers or reduce the nonresident quotas AFTER the application deadlines! That's bad form in my book! I understand why they change numbers but.......
Well, good luck to all of us!
Zeke

All my hunts that I applied for stayed the same as last year except a few more bison tags on the Henry Mountain for a hunt that I have no points for yet. I went into the mountain goat draw for the early billy tag on Willard Peak with 10 points as a non-resident. I should not draw the tag, but I will not give up until I get my unsuccessful letter. Because I just applied for graduate school this week I will probably draw that Willard Peak tag just because it cost $1,500.

Good luck in the draws.

Dillon
www.dillonhoyt.com

Rick !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From 7 up to 11 tags.......

'Dude'....who is bringing the smoors!! you or us... haha

Robb

It's been a day now since I read the willard peak nanny tag numbers. I'm even more depressed about it now than I was then. I should have known that drawing a goat tag in a few years was too good to be true.

I would have had a better chance at drawing one of the billy tags probably.

Why don't they have us put in AFTER they decide tag numbers? Also, if we have to put in before tag numbers are set, they ought to do something when they drop the tag numbers by 88%! Like let us apply for another unit.

I guess this is how it goes though.

>Rick !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>
>From 7 up to 11 tags.......
>
>
>'Dude'....who is bringing the smoors!! you
>or us... haha
>
>Robb

LOL so true Robb.
He already asked if I'd come and direct traffic in the parking lot! I agreed to do it but if I do I'll bring sugar for the gas tanks and spikes for the tires! I know how to slow the other guys down.

Good night, my son might draw too with that many tags!!! That would be wild!
Zeke

Yes,
It appears after 40+ years of applying, it is finally my turn to hunt a desert ram...given some tech worker inputted my application right!
I am, however, very upset at the amount of increase. 4 more tags is a 60% increase in tag numbers for the Zion. I know for a fact that 60% more rams didn't just wandered out of the park so we could hunt them.
I haven't waited for 40 years so I can race 15 other hunters into the relatively small hunt area to find a good ram. I want my experience to be a little more intimate than that.
I will be contacting all the RAC members to voice my dismay and ask that they not increase tag numbers that much. I encourage you to do the same!

I would be willing to take a "walk" in the Park with a half dozen of my loudest friends! That might help re-distribute some rams. haha

The tag increase does seem a little excessive to me too. The allure of a desert sheep hunt is the solitude, I understand that.

We'll see what happens.

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-14 AT 12:14PM (MST)[p]>All my hunts that I applied
>for stayed the same as
>last year except a few
>more bison tags on the
>Henry Mountain for a hunt
>that I have no points
>for yet. I went
>into the mountain goat draw
>for the early billy tag
>on Willard Peak with 10
>points as a non-resident.
>I should not draw the
>tag, but I will not
>give up until I get
>my unsuccessful letter. Because
>I just applied for graduate
>school this week I will
>probably draw that Willard Peak
>tag just because it cost
>$1,500.
>
>Good luck in the draws.
>
>Dillon
>www.dillonhoyt.com

I applied for same hunt with 11 points.

last year there were no applicants with 11 or 12 points and 1 with 13 that drew the bonus tag. If no one jumps units then I should be in the discussion for a tag. That said, it is most likely that at least one, if not more hunters with 12-13 points moved to the Willard early hunt and knock me out.

The good news is the Wasatch is still giving out 10,000 tags so hopefully folks with more points than me get impatient and put in there. This is really helping with point sprawl control;)

On a serious note, I saw some real nice bulls come off the Wasatch last year but for how many tags they are handing out you're going to see a few. I expect there will be no elk left on the Wasatch in about 3-4 years.

>On a serious note, .....
>I expect there will be
>no elk left on the
>Wasatch in about 3-4 years.
>

That's your serious note?

My take on Wasatch elk population is a bit more optimistic than yours.

There will always be a few big bulls come off the unit but the overall quality will continue to drop as they reach the age objective.

I keep hearing about the untimely demise of the Wasatch yet we keep seeing all these animals every time we hunt it. Hard to figure!

Zeke

Ok, ok, I stand corrected!
They do shoot too many cows on parts of the unit. That's indisputable.

Still, I've been on the unit for 2 seasons per year for the last several years and I say we won't be running OUT of elk in 3-4 years. Hunting might be a bit tougher but it sure is fun and rewarding.

Others have a different experience and I cannot dispute that either. I guess we just hunt where the elk are!

Zeke

I liked seeing the Desert Sheep number in the area i put for go from 3 to 5. Now if I only had more points to go with it. :)

The 2800 cow permits for the Wasatch is far and away better than the 5000+ that were issued last year....

Since nearly all of them are on the Currant Creek side in super low success areas I think it will be ok! At least its a significant step in the right direction IMHO....ask the biologists and they will tell you otherwise

https://www.facebook.com/strawberrybayoutfitters

Agreed! It is a step in the right direction.
We all agree that it's still way too many cow taken off a small part of the unit. It used to be pretty good out there but that section of the unit is getting hammered.
Keep the pressure on them Bblaster!
Half that many tags would be too many (but better) IMHO.
Zeke

The deer are doing great, but yet LE deer permits are decreased. The goats are doing excellent, but yet the tags are decreased.

Don't worry, the tags didn't get reduced, they just got absorbed into the EXPO draw for next year!!!

That's where all our tags go! Thanks DWR for selling off our dreams to SFW and a million EXPO guys.

How many points does it take to have a good shot at a Wasatch Archery tag? I applied for it this year with 2 pts.

>How many points does it take
>to have a good shot
>at a Wasatch Archery tag?
> I applied for it
>this year with 2 pts.
>

Resident with 2 points has about 15% chance of drawing should be guaranteed with 6 points
Non resident with 2 points has about a 5% chance of drawing should be guaranteed at 9 points.

Whats my approx. odds to draw a west Vernon archery tag with 2 points, non res? Can anyone guestimate this? I also put in for San Juan archery with 2 points, hahahaha, lets just say im shopping in NM for a hunt...

UUGGGGHHHH....The recommendation was 2 NR tags for the early Willard Peak MNT goat hunt.

Looks like the final number was 1 NR tag.

WTF.

>UUGGGGHHHH....The recommendation was 2 NR tags
>for the early Willard Peak
>MNT goat hunt.
>
>Looks like the final number was
>1 NR tag.
>
>WTF.

Where did you find this out? Do you got a link?

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom