taxidermy advice

kicker

Two years ago my bro in law shot a nice antelope buck in the middle of the rut. He had it mounted but the scent patches on the neck absolutely stink! To this day I can't put it in the house because the odor is so strong. I have another antelope that I shot and it did not stink...what odor there was faded after a few months. My question is....did the taxidermist make a mistake and not remove the scent glands or what???

I'm also interested in the same...I just picked up my 2010 lope from the taxi last night. Looks amazing, but smells like stinky goat...I'm hoping it goes away and the living room doesn't settle in with the smell...never noticed any other mount smell this strong.

The horns are what stunk on my 2010 buck. After about 4 months I can't smell it at all. Ron

Your antelope mount shouldn't smell at all, when you get it back, if done properly. We have them in smaller offices and bedrooms in the house and have never had an odor. Did your taxidermist possibly use a wet tan process? That has a very distinct chemical odor, even after drying and may take several months to fade.

Once the thing is caped and all flesh removed, ears turned and lips split it will be tanned into regular leather and there will be no smell. Was the cape properly taken care of prior to giving to the taxidermist and not spoiled? Laying up the mount and using killer hide paste might add a little, but is gone as soon as it dries.

We take the horn sheaths off using the microwave method to warm them up, then clean with lacquer thinner to de-grease and kill any parasites on the outer portion, and let dry. Scrape the horn cores and skull plate completly and let it dry for a day also. Bondo the sheaths back on and there will be no odor at all.

If it persists, you may have to use a strong air freshener or have inherited a "garage mount".

Yes it was properly cared for from field to taxidermist. Yeah this thing smells like a buck in full rut....extremely pungent! It's been like that for over a year and a half. Guess I will let Cabelas hang it up high or something.

PW

I suspect it's not "cheek patch" you are smelling. The tanning process eliminates that problem. I would check the horn bases, it's possible the odor is in the horns. Perhaps the horns were not cleaned and sealed inside to prevent rot and bug infestation. I salt, clean and seal all horns inside with varnish to prevent bugs, smell and rot issues.
Paul
"Nice Rack" Taxidermy