The use of decoys while elk hunting?

BeanMan

Long Time Member
Anyone have experience using a decoy during archery season? I'm going to spend a week backpack hunting with a young friend who has the license, I'm just going because I am retired and I can, I won't be huntiing. I'm thinking a buying a butthead decoy and I will be doing some of the calling. This will be in Colorado before muzzleloader season opens. All experiences appreciated.

Hasbean

Yes. They do work. Use a little cow urine too. It's worth it just to see the what the h***! look on a young bulls face when he gets lengthwise with a cow silhouette and she disappears from his view.

They work pretty good. I like using them even around a waterhole us using a treestand they keep the eyes on the decoy and not wandering around looking for danger.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I think the Butt decoy is the best choice. I won a decoy at RMEF banquet that has a cows head on it. Hunting public land during a rifle season this year, and don't feel comfortable using that! For bowhunting, that would be a different story.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

We've had mixed results. Sometimes its brought them running, others it has sent them running. Having it partially covered seems to help. I think the butt is the way to go. If you think about elk have you ever seen one just standing still for any length of time? I have and it's only when they are nervous, might be why the ones with the head up seem to chase some off.

I've had some success with it. It can be a pain to carry at times but do believe it's worth using especially since you won't have to carry a bow.

I use the montana decoy elk butt. It seems to help. I have had elk walk right by me and never look my way. I have a piece of fishing line tied to the top with a snap swivel at the top. I hang it from a branch, a light breeze gives it a little movement. If its windy I tie it up so part hits the trees or brush and slows it down. I can shove the decoy between my pack and my back if I am moving a short distance. Otherwise it takes up no room in my pack

I've also used the Montana decoy in Archery season and I've had good success with it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom