Things to do and see around Cortez?

ridgetops

Very Active Member
I'm taking a family trip to see Arches and Mesa Verde in the next few weeks.
Other than Meza Verde, what else is worth checking out in the Cortez area?

If you have the time, drive to Durango and ride the train. You should make advance reservations. You won't be disappointed.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-19 AT 07:41PM (MST)[p]I second the train. A couple of nice drives are up thru Silverton and Ouray if you want to see critters lounging around in the high country. A cool desert drive is the loop thru Monticello and Blanding. Take a look at the Valley of the Gods and Monument valley and dont miss the Moki Dugway over by Mexican hat (dont take a trailer over it unless you check it out first - hopefully you arent scared of heights!:-o). The high desert is very nice at the moment if you like that kind of thing.

I would tell you to take a couple of nice drives on the county roads north and west town to check out some of the alfalfa field bucks but they dont have much in the way of antlers yet. I did see my first baby elk today :)

Bluehair
Splitting my time time between the winter and summer range......
May you live long enough to cash in those preference points. Amen

Museum just West of Dolores. Canyon of the ancients. And then go in that park..The West side of MESA Verde is less crowded and some nice ruins.. best side to see elk.

Ride the train. I also love to explore the jeep trails around Silverton too if you have a 4x4. , then head to Ouray and go to the hot springs.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I will be driving a minivan, so my off roading will be limited.
Thanks for the input so far.
Keep it coming.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-19 AT 09:34AM (MST)[p]It follows the Animas river to Silverton. I always stared at the river and daydreamed about drifting a fly through some of those pools. It used to stop and drop people off to access the wilderness but I'm not sure about that any more (the train is blamed by some for the 416 fire last year so I think I heard there may have been some changes). The goat country is just up above you and I suppose you could see a sheep up around silverton so you should bring binoculars just in case. And sunglasses - cinders in your eyes hurt.

Bluehair

And as I said in the weather report thread, be aware that some of the county roads up around Silverton are expected to be closed until July while avalanches are cleared. I would go just to see 100' piles of snow in June. :)

Bluehair

Don't wear good clothes on the train ride!

When I visited Mesa Verde I was uncomfortable. The Anasazi disappeared from the earth there. Haunts.

Look for arrow heads. PC

One of my favorite places in Western Colorado is The Black Canyon of the Gunnison. In fact I am hiking down Gunnison Point tomorrow just to see what 9000 cfs looks like. You could combine a drive over Coal Bank, Molas, and Red Mountain passes with a side trip to the BC. T would be a longish day dy trip but is very doable. You could return to Cortez via Lizard Head Pass so you didn't have any repeat scenery. It's a pretty small park and the Rim Drive on the south rim is very spectacular. You won't need to hike down to get an appreciation for the BC.

Hasbean

Balcony House tour in MV has tight crawl spaces, tall wooden ladders, mildly adventurous. Wonderful archaeology.

Way before I rode the train (somewheres around $75 a pop, or more) I'd rent a Jeep, or just any ole suv.

You can drive east from Silverton, on the dirt road to Animas Forks...tis a ghost town. Assuming that the road is open.

From there, if you had an AWD vehicle (it is graded every year, but a steep hair.pin curve could cause you to spin and lose momentum, I've driven it in a Tracker and MPV), you could crossover to Lake City and then cross back via a dif pass....btw, way above tree.line.

Canyonlands of the Ancients and Hovenweep (Indian ruins w.o the Crowds) west of Cortez.

You can ride the ski.lift in Telluride for free.

Ophir Pass road is an easy road, easy to west, all you need is clearance.

Rafting on the Dolores...I have no idea of who does it. Daily rafting on the San Miguel near Durango

John 14:6

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom