Trouble in unit 9 early elk.

D

Dunezrunner

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. We have been up hunting in Unit 9 on the early rifle bull hunt. I have heard that this is THE area to hunt. So far we haven't seen very many elk at all. The bulls we have seen were low 300's bulls. We were told to hold out for a high 300's to 400's bull. Are we expecting too much? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thomas

We just got home yesterday. Where are you hunting? we where around grandview. I may have a couple areas you could go look into. We passed on two 350-360 bulls. But like you not a lot of sightings. Tons of bugling going on though. thats what we found to be the best results. find bugles an hour before daylight and walk in quiet within 1/2 mile. still well before daylight. and then just play the wind and the direction they're traveling and try to get in front for a visual. I'll help if I can

get out of the trees on the west and east sides look in areas you would not look for elk,glass, some of it will look flat but it is not.killed a large bull out there and a larger one got away,the size your after,

get out of the trees on the west and east, some looks flat but is not. killed a large bull out there and a larger one got away.glass hard and far. look were you wouldnt think to look.

>We just got home yesterday. Where
>are you hunting? we where
>around grandview. I may have
>a couple areas you could
>go look into. We passed
>on two 350-360 bulls. But
>like you not a lot
>of sightings. Tons of bugling
>going on though. thats what
>we found to be the
>best results. find bugles an
>hour before daylight and walk
>in quiet within 1/2 mile.
>still well before daylight. and
>then just play the wind
>and the direction they're traveling
>and try to get in
>front for a visual. I'll
>help if I can

Thanks for the replies. We have been hunting around Grandview and on roads
307, 310, 328, 2807, 302, 343. Didn't see much today, really frustrated.

Thanks again

Thomas.

>PM sent

Thanks, I haven't received it yet but will look into it as soon as I get it.

Try looking out in the juniper country to the west and south parts of unit. My son killed a nice muzzleloader bull in a 'lesser' unit on Saturday and we were out in 'pronghorn' country where we found his bull. In fact, there were a lot of pronghorns mixed in with the elk. It scores 361" and there were several larger bulls in the same area. All out in rolling 'flat', very open country. We glassed these bulls up from about 3 miles away, made a plan and killed him a couple days later.

Thanks for all the help. We ended up getting an elk on Wed. We hunted hard and ended up shooting the biggest one we saw. It scored out at around 330.

5103resizedimage_1412209009947.jpg

I really appreciate all of the help offered on this board and I believe it helped make our hunt successful.

Thomas

Good Bull. That is a good hunt for being your first time in the unit. Looks like you got him out in that flat country.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom