Turning in 1 tag, make it 2?

StillLernin

So life has a funny way of piling it on, and gave me 4 NV tags this year. I know I am turning back the 011-013 late deer because it directly conflicts with my bull elk (072-074), but am wondering if I should turn back in my 031 antelope. I know I should spend all my free time scouting elk, but the antelope hunt provides the best opportunity to take my 10 y.o. son out with me, even if only for the long Labor Day weekend (I can spend more time out, but he will be at a new school next year so won't be able to miss any school). I do plan to take him on my 061, 071 late cow hunt, but the weather will be so unpredictable then that I won't know how much hiking/stalking he would get. But he would love the antelope hunt, and I have been promising him for a year that he would go hunting with me. I just don't want to short-change both the antelope and elk hunts though, and several friends are trying to talk me into turning the lope tag back in.

Thoughts?

Take your son on the antelope hunt.
You will spend many hours with him driving around the unit glassing up heards of goats.
Make a few stalks and just having fun.
It's just an antelope hunt... Getting one should not be a problem.
Perfect hunt for young and old alike...Good luck.
Howdy

I personally would find it hard to turn in any of those tags. You want to hunt jarbige early because it can get nasty there later and I would hunt your deer the last week because they seem to come out of the wood works those last few days. As for the lope kings river is full of them and it would be a blast for your son.

I vote take your son on the antelope hunt, my son is now 20, been in the Marines for almost 3 years and not able to go hunting, 7 months in A-stan, time goes by fast you may look back and wish you had a few more hunts with him someday soon.

Keep the lope tag and take your son out of school. Time with your children in the woods is more valuable than anything. He will learn much more spending time with you than he will at school. School is overrated!!

Tough call but in my opinion time with your son is more important then any elk or deer tag. He will remember his 1st hunt for eternity!!!

Thanks guys, you have basically confirmed where I wanted to go with this! On turning in the deer tag, part of my thought process is that it will give me something to look forward to next year, as I would "expect" to draw something again (have quite a few points now).

Good choice, I had a bull elk tag and antelope tag last year. Had a blast on both and the antelope hunt is a great hunt for the kids.

If you need some help in area 072-074 for bull elk hit me up I was in there last season for California Bighorn Tag and we saw tons of nice bulls I can give you good area to start checking out

You do get bonus points back, but you can only receive the money back if you have a medical reason, etc. You have to return the tag, so that it is in their hands, by the first day of the season the tag is for. I returned one for 075 elk last year, which apparently worked out for me!

Let you son miss a couple days of school, new school or not! Go hunting........ that's a very good unit. You will see some excellent bucks, lots of coyotes, chuckars etc. Lot's of rock outcropping, steep hills make for good stalking. Shoot straight. sourkraut

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom