TX Whitetail buck

BigPig

Very Active Member
I really wanted to kill a big buck on this trip, but as has been par for the course on other hunts so far this year, it didn't happen. I hunted the first 4 days and passed up many pretty nice bucks looking for a big one. On the evening of the 4th day he finally showed up. He circled somewhat downwind of me at first and bolted. I thought he was gone. Right before dark he came back, but was really nervous. I didn't think he would hang around long so I decided I needed to make it happen. As soon as he turned broadside I settled in and cut a shot that felt perfect. Unfortunately the buck had other plans. I swear, that buck's chest hit the dirt. I stayed in the shot and vividly remember my 20 pin high and my 30 low for the 26 yard shot. That deer ducked so far his back line dropped below my 40 pin and I missed. That was a bummer as he would have taken top buck honors for the trip. Our group of 7 guys killed 6 bucks, 4 does, 2 hogs and 2 feral goats.

The last day, I was in no position to be picky. I zipped a VPA 3 blade right through him just after first light. He went 70 yards. I had passed up bigger, but in the end, this guy took a ride home with me.

7365rsz_nate_2011_tx_buck.jpg

Congrats on a fine trophy!

A old friend used to say the one you got is always the best one because the other guy usually isn't holding anything to compare him to so they always look great! :^)

Looks like you had another great hunt and that's a nice buck by anyones standards! ENJOY!!

That pic makes him look like he has super high main beams! How long are they?

Congrats on a great consolation buck! I'd be happy with him any day :)

Cheers,
Pete

Thanks. Pete, his beams are just a touch over 20". Not super long. It's just the photo. I wish he had a bit more mass and spread, but unfortunately them bucks aren't made to order!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom